Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Was impressed with what I sampled of Stadia but it was almost immediately yoked into an inescapable cycle of 'nobody will use it cause Google will kill it and Google will kill it cause nobody's using it.'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They never gave it a chance. A product like that with widespread availability and such a low barrier to entry should have had a huge marketing campaign. They relied on word of mouth among people who are already so heavily invested in the gaming scene that they had no need for it. 

Luna is promising. Microsoft always said their biggest competitor is not Sony but Amazon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a searing indictment of where Google exists as an innovator that this news has surprised precisely nobody. It was always a matter of time, the moment this was first announced

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will fair play Google are actually issuing refunds.

As for Sony rewarding high tier members with better customer support, and in turn, punishing lower tier members of they ever need support is.... well it's actually Sony all over. I can imagine the pats on each others backs when they came up with that.

• Advertisement

Used Stadia for a while, it's very decent, Pty they're killing it, it's a tech that works well. I opted for Geforce now Rtx tier as I had founders GFN and it worked brilliantly on my Shield and laptop. I've since bought a gaming PC (at time was same price as a GPU) so now the only streaming service I have is game pass (got a few years hotukdeal) never use the streaming though as it's limited to 1080p but I may use it on my phone with a Razer Kishi controller in future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Didn't have the biggest game of the year ar on it so this should come as a shock to absolutely nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't think people want to play games on their phone's, not big AAA games via the cloud anyway. Even if it runs well(not always a guarantee) its just not ideal. I tried playing on my phones, my tablets & with a controller grip. Its always just too finicky & never as smooth as advertised. If Xbox wants it to be a thing they'd best look at Valve for inspiration for gaming on the go but I don't think Xbox has the fanbase even now for it to catch on where Steam had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The big problem with streaming is lag. It's a playability killer for me. Even playing old school games with the lag from a modern flat screen is enough to make them about half as fun as they are sans lag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The biggest issue with any ‘cloud only’ service is around ownership. Your game, your saves etc… are wiped as soon as the servers switched off. It’s why at least the likes of GeForce Now or Xbox cloud gaming seem more reasonable to me - while you’re still at the whims of servers to access the streaming service, they’re at least tied to other, more reliable services like Steam and Xbox Live. So you can still download a copy of your game / save and store it natively. It’s the same with subscription services, of course, but at least your save file will still be there on a hard drive if you want to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't disagree with what you say, cloud services increasingly make media ownership impossible and especially older games, films and TV basically don't exist anymore because they can't be streamed; but, I recently did a clearout and found a big clutch of game install CDs and DVDs. Which was cool, having all those titles - were it not for the fact no laptop or PC in the house had a disc drive anymore!

Obsolescence is kind of unavoidable, even if cloud services Ultimately put the power of ownership in the hands of those running the servers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes all technology does suffer from obsolescence to some extent, but even by modern and increasingly lax gaming industry standards any game service that doesn’t offer any sort of offline backup is a step too far IMO. Whether that’s Stadia or a ‘cloud version’ of a game on Switch, it’s just too fragile… especially when the price is often the same as any other version of the game.

And of course Nintendo, for example, will shut down the 3DS eShop or whatever, which is a real problem and archiving nightmare. But that at least won’t lock you out of your downloaded or physical games, which is a big difference to your library simply disappearing entirely when the plug is pulled.

There are issues around digital ownership even with secure market leaders like Steam. But cloud service are the worst of the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There's no lag on any streaming service, if you are using them wired!

I've used them all, Xcloud, Stadia, PS Now, GeForce Now.

Any streaming service that even pretends wifi is a viable way to use them, should be taken out back and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You don't own your Xbox cloud games either. Once you unsub you lose access even to the ones you downloaded to the console. The digital & cloud options are changing how games are consumed by lowering the entry point, and thats not all bad. There is a hell of a lot less plastic boxes and useless disks being printed.

Like others I've boxes of DVDs, blue rays, CDs in the attic all replaced by an app on my phone. The idea of buying a DVD now just incase I want to watch wall-e offline seems bonkers.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was offline. It was prob during a powercut which meant I couldn't play my physical games anyway, but I could play on the cloud on mobile data.

It's the trade off. Do I pay a tenner a month for hundreds of games I won't play or do I spend thousands on physical games that will sit in the plastic wrapping unplayed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

More "news" emerging from the Stadia situation...

Our source says it was that single-player nature of the game that led Google to cancel Stadia’s collaboration with Kojima, with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences.

Hmmm that sounds spookily familiar. Surely just a coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

This is probably the biggest Visual Novel that Steam have banned to date.

Valve apparently give any vn a ban if it contains a school setting, regardless of sexual content yet allows barely cobbled together crap like the Kyle Rittenhouse protestor shooter and sex games featuring Hitler.

Fyi this game is getting released next week on Nintendo Switch and passed with a PEGI 16 rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure about the school setting being the reason. Doki Doki Literature Club is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

That was released before the policy was put in place. This has been happening for 4 years, since Valve started allowing "adult" games, Doki Doki came out 2 years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sony remaking or remastering Horizon Zero Dawn for PS5, with graphical and accessibility additions/features, and quality of life changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Here we go, another unnecessary 80 euro 'remake'.

Seems like it's probably because of the TV show in development, same with TLOU Part 1 remake. But unlike TLOU1, HZD isn't nearly as old, doesn't need the level of work they put into TLOU1, and already has a dedicated PS5 patch anyway. Sony really need to be very careful with how they do this because another €80 price tag simply can't be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I am very much expecting this to be under the directors cut banner like GoT and Death Stranding. It is probably just gonna be the PC version adapted for PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It will be €80. These remakes are there to tie in with the TV shows and any new Playstation players. If you never played HZD/TLOU and are just after getting a PS5 you would be inclined to go for the PS5 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Death Stranding and GoT were not full price and I don't think this one will be either. They justified TLOUs price by labelling it as a ground-up remake, there is no way they are going to that much effort with this.

Capcom remake vs Sony remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

It's grim how many prominent gaming publications (and, increasingly, game developers) are now owned by nonsense companies, whether it's the hedge fund husk of Gawker media or whatever the hell Fandom is. Horribly unstable industry.

No wonder so many games journalists, podcasters and writers have decided to go independent because really the whole acquisition carry-on is totally out of control. Hopefully at least this one doesn't mean job losses, but I'm just baffled 'Fandom' is even a company with the capacity to just buy up a bunch of popular websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Not really a fair comparison though. If you're remaking a 20+ years old game, the graphics on the right should be the bare minimum.

• Advertisement

I think the comparison is more that Capcom are remaking games from 20+ years ago, while Sony are remaking ones from within the last 10 years that don't need to be remade, have diminishing returns in terms of graphical upgrade, but still charge the same price as a full new release.

Advertisement