Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, going by the trailer, the above isn't happening. Looks like the first season will cover all the first game and Left Behind. I could see them departing significantly from the games for subsequent seasons, focusing on different characters/stories etc, mainly to justify more seasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If they're being as faithful as the trailer suggests, it'll almost certainly be all or a good chunk of TLOU1 and Left Behind. And you kinda need to get to the end for the character arcs to make sense. As much as I'm hesitant about a 1:1 adaptation, you also can't really just chop the story in half or quarters and be left with a satisfying conclusion for audiences at the end of a first season. The game's not super long, and without the long stretches of gameplay and more ambient storytelling (exploration etc...) there's a relatively limited pool of story there. Plenty of room for expansion, of course, but the main beats wouldn't stretch too far beyond a ten-episode run. Again, all presuming it's as ultra-faithful as the trailer suggests.

I do agree it'll likely be most rewarding for new audiences who haven't played the game.

But yeah there'd be more room for deviation with any subsequent series, and a straightforward adaptation of TLOU2 would be a much more difficult proposition given the structure of that game (and, well, the writing :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭recyclops

Jaysus I was thinking one season for this, has worked with HBO before ( the night of, Chernobyl) dragging stuff on rarely works in tv. Have they said how many seasons they plan on milking this for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I don't think so but 3 seasons seems perfectly reasonable to me. TLOU 2 is probably too much for one season and there is plenty of scope for stories inbetween the games if they need to. They are going to have to wait 4 or 5 years for the actress to age as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Given that so many shows are cancelled these days after one or two well received seasons, you need to be very pragmatic in how you plan out your storylines and not take for granted you're going to have long to chart your story. The absolute worst thing for it to do is to pace it too slowly over too many seasons and be cancelled prematurely leaving it without a true ending.

The presence of some original characters suggests that it will stick relatively close to the games storyline but branch out somewhat which means I'd be surprised if TLOU2 is incorporated down the line to any major degree as it would be a major commitment to cover that story. I reckon it'll cover the first game in either one or two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At the very least I'd say we'll see the flashback scenes of Abby's father talking to Marlene from TLOU2, or something similar to hint towards Abby and the events of TLOU2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Cram all part 1 into a 6 episode mini series and then use the next 8 seasons for part 2 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Taking 5 seasons to tell that amount of story would make it ten times more tedious than TWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I would be very very surprised if they don't cast Abbie's father for season 1, I imagine they are keeping that a secret as he will only have a couple of scenes in the final episode. If this does well, which I think it will, I reckon they wait a couple of years and film S2 and S3 back to back. Wrap everything up in 3 seasons over 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Koei Tecmo/EA have revealed Wild Hearts, a completely original monster hunting game which bears no resemblance to any other game where one might hunt monsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That game just won't come out, will it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

It's taking them longer to get it fully protected to stop it from being pirated...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Announcing its release date for the day after God Of War Ragnarok was such a dumbass decision to begin with that announcing this delay is probably the best outcome even if the game was finished and they just left it on the shelf for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭a2deden

I forget it exists until a new delay info comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s like they suddenly just realised that Ragnarok was coming out the day after.

“November the 9th. Why does that strike me as being important?”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’d take ecstatic reviews across the board to convince me to give any new Ubisoft open world game a shot, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't say specifically for all Ubisoft games (a second Immortals could be a quick buy for me), but most definitely waiting for plenty of reviews for SaB, I'm getting flashbacks of DNF!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

From the footage I've seen it feels like they've left it on the shelf for the last five years given so little has changed from the early previews to the most recent ones. They had something brilliant with Black Flag that could have made a great offshoot series and it looks likely that they've both failed to build on it and missed the window when there was still enthusiasm for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like Sackboy is the latest PS title to make the jump to PC.

Another Returnal-on-PC leak is doing the rounds as well, so it should only be a matter of time before that's also announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭recyclops

Urge to sell ps5 for steam deck grows and grows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Kinda similar.

Thanks to covid lockdown and FOMO I've a load of consoles and games I've no time for. 😝 But at least I know now what kinds of games float my boat now.

Maybe time to console consolidate. 😊

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Another bonkers move from Sony, hopefully it won't stick. Giving customer support priority to people on a higher tier of this new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

L - and I can’t stress this enough - OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Not surprised that this is happening but still a shame. It would have been good to see more competition in the industry and it's always good to have options as it did work well for some but their business model seemed to be doomed from the beginning. And at least people will be getting their money back on game and controller purchases

Have never used it, but I had hoped streaming would evolve into the norm and I can exit the PC upgrading race.

Geforce Now just doesn't the games to bother with it. xCloud is great, but limited to Series S versions and no kbm.

Guess I'll be upgrading for a while yet. Time to pull the trigger on that new gpu...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not even remotely surprised. I got it around the Cyberpunk release, tried the tech, thought it was ok but couldn’t even think about investing in games on the platform in case google did a google and decided to kill off the service. Their reputation preceded them and I’m not the only one that thought the same.

Whatever about the quality of the underlying tech, Google was destined to kill it so the platform was doomed from the off. I wouldn’t write off cloud streaming by any stretch, but Stadia was dead tech walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's a huge shame, it's rare we see a real game changer on the hardware side. This could have really opened up gaming to a massive new audience that can't afford gen 5 consoles or heafty PCs. But Google did a terrible job of telling people it exists. Imagine Sony beamed a free PS5 into your house and everyone was like I can't be bothered.

Still since we are getting refunded, that means I've about 6 free chrome cast Ultras and 6 of the nicest gaming controllers ever made to remind me of what could have been. 😝

Now watch Amazon take over with Luna now the space is clear and they are lining up a serious

Advertisement