Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picking godparents help.

Options
  • 27-09-2022 7:17pm

Hi we are picking godparents for our baby not born yet but thinking agead. My partner has her one picked but im stuck. Iv 2 really god friends, i know they would both do it if i asked but i dont want them to think im picking one over the other. So to avoid upsetting anyone i was just thinking of picking a nephew as the godparent. At the same time i dont want both of them to be upset that i didnt pick either of them. This is so annoying.

Please anyone that has simalar experience please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Are either of them more religious than the other? Isn't the idea that this person will help guide your child to be a good Christian? Pick the person who you are most likely to see at church each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, I'd be making sure that whoever you do pick actually wants to be a godparent. I lived in active fear of being asked while my siblings were having their families. Only got stung once, thankfully, and at that stage I was too young and polite to decline. By the time the last two were born I'd have turned down the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The role of a God parent is to buy a better present. If both parents die the child can't go to the God parents, especially if they aren't related, there is a process to go through and a church isn't involved.

If you are religious then you should pick the one who is the most religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yes I agree with poster above who suggested choosing the friend that is most religious, etc. However if you still can't choose between them maybe your nephew is a better option - but what age is he, is he mature/spiritual enough and has a strong faith that can help your child develop their Catholic faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ask both? My niece has 2 godmothers and 2 godfathers. A friends grandchild has 3 godmothers and no godfathers. No issue with the priest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

We only want 2, a male n a female thanks.

Advertisement