Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bordeaux

• 05-07-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering does anyone have any tips on what to do and see in Bordeaux?
    I am going there next month for four days but I am worried about the airport terminal there (billi) as it sounds like a really ghastly experience:(
    Anyway, hopefully the city itself will make up for it. I'm also wondering if the city itself is quite walkable as the hotels are quite expensive around the historic centre so am deciding on booking one either just across the Pont De Pierre bridge on the less touristy part or else in the west of the city.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It is a great city.
    Beautiful river waterfront, excellent food and drink, charming old centre.
    I stayed in the Meriadeck area which is quite close the centre but also a bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just thought I'd follow this thread up and say that I had a wonderful time there.
    The Bordelaise were so lovely and friendly. I also ended up staying in the Meriadeck area of the city which was very walkable to the main centre.
    Bar A Vin was amazing for tasting some cheap wines in a luxurious setting.
    The highlight though was taking a dinner cruise up the Garonne river....it was a particularly great way to view the city at night and the food was delicious.
    I'd easily go back there again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A few suggestions to consider for future visitors:

Le Corbusier's first urban development at Cité Frugès. One restored home open for visits. Many other private home in the same locality.
    Musee d'Aquitane. Excellent museum - everything about Aquitane. Well worth a look - if museums is your thing.
    New Cite du Vin opened recently. "A unique place with multiple experiences" apparently. I haven't been there myself
    Lindt Chocolate shop on the west bank; in the restored "Hangers", north of skate park. Just a shop - but with Lindt!
    Don't bother with the Botanic Gardens. Parc Bordelais was lovely, and central.

I would say to have lowered expectations for Cite du Vin. It opened to ridiculous hype and while a visit there is recommended, it was nothing particularly special and didn't end up as one of the highlights of my visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

Hi, I’m being brought there for my 40th birthday, we are really looking forward to it!

does anyone have any tips?

I’ve been all over France, but never to Bordeaux!

Just been back to Bordeaux in recent months actually, still a lovely city!

My main tip would be to do the dinner cruise as it’s delicious and a wonderful way to see the city from the river.

Would also recommend visiting the Fine Arts museum as it’s very well structured and a good way to spend an afternoon.

While Bordeaux is a beautiful city in general, there are parts within the city centre that are rather tatty and rundown, in particular the areas around/leading to the main train station so I would avoid any hotels around here and would instead choose to stay in the more aesthetically pleasing areas away from it.

Advertisement