Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's much, much easier to get a fanboy to fawn all over the product on YouTube and ply them with free stuff than it is a cynical journalist. Influencers have really had a negative affect on videogame discourse where now the narrative is controlled by fawning fan boys and actual game journalism is either trying to emulate that fawning culture or getting shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I agree with your point in general but lets not pretend that videogame journalists are any kind of standard for integrity. Right from the formation of the industry up up to today they have effectively acted as extensions of the PR department for publishers.

Just to be clear, I am definitely not a GG-er.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Some people just crave the attention you get from knowing something that other people want to know. This guy seems like a bit of a fool.

He is finished now.

"Gamers" wasn't a thing back before Gaming became toxic. There were just people, same as normal people, who happened to own a C64/Spectrum/Amiga/Atari-ST (poor bastards :-P)/Nintendo etc. Such and Such was not a "gamer". They were just Dave, Seamus, Andrew, Sarah etc

Does anyone else work with a "gamer". Toxic gaming culture is being applied to the workplace nowadays. When do we stop associating a prick who plays games and just start calling them a prick regardless of whether they play games or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's because people of the prickish nature tend to present themselves as "gamers" in order to act like their views were representative of all gamers, and that people who disagreed with them weren't true "gamers".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, gaming used to be a past-time you didn't tell other people you enjoyed TBH anyway; it's not that long ago either; there was a distinct social stigma that only children or man-child weirdos play video-games. So it kind always had a degree of Circled Wagons about its community, under the mentality that the rest of the world Doesn't Get It.

I dunno how it morphed into this ball of toxicity that seems to railroad the culture a little - or derail it, as is often the case. Maybe gaming just attracts a certain competitiveness and anonymity that invariably gives rise to díckheads. And the sheer volume of the media's increased normalisation upped the numbers of díckheads to a critical, unavoidable mass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The funniest comments I see on twitter and when people give an honest but less than glowing opinion on a big triple A franchise like Horizon, last of us or red dead 2 and there's always a comment of someone saying 'can I ask you something, do you like Nintendo games'.

As if liking games from the most successful videogame publisher of all time with some of the all time greats under their belt makes them less of a 'gamer'. Not to mention the sheer stupidity behind asking if you like games from any publisher with a wide variety of games experiences on their portfolio.

Some really gross schoolyard tribalism permeating the hobby but now being spouted by adults.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conversely, Jim-Stephanie Sterling used to comment about how they'd get hate mail/comments because they only gave Breath of the Wild ... I think it was a 7/10? Something grand like, just not fawning enough for that particular clique to be happy either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah but you love Ace Combat 7 so your opinion doesn't matter :pac:

edit: no pacman emoji. New boards is bollocks

She deserved it as well for also giving Horizon a 9/10.

It applies to all fans really, Nintendo and Xbox fans can be bad but Sony fanboys at moment seem particularly obnoxious.

It really just highlights the immaturity of the medium and how it needs to grow up. If you look at film reviews there's always critics that go against the grain. Stephanie Sterling gave BotW 7/10 which I don't agree with but her review spelled out her reasons why in a constructive manner, it wasn't just a shitpost to get likes. It was her informed opinion. The medium just seems to be beyond that level of maturity although it's creeping back into movies with the likes of Marvel movies.

I don't think we will ever get to that maturity while jounalism of the medium is in such a bad place. All the old guard have moved on to better paying and respected endeavors and all the newbies in the field won't hang around to become great at the craft because it's such a **** job compared to the oppurtunities it opens up.

You're a Goose to my Iceman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

IRON MAN game announced by Motive & EA

We're thrilled to share that an all-new single-player, third-person, action-adventure Iron Man video game is now in early development at Montreal-based Motive Studio. The team is being led by Olivier Proulx, who brings experience working on past Marvel titles like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, and is joined by a dedicated team of passionate industry veterans including Ian Frazier, Maëlenn Lumineau, and JF Poirier at the studio.

Developed in collaboration with Marvel Games, the game will feature an original narrative that taps into the rich history of Iron Man, channeling the complexity, charisma, and creative genius of Tony Stark, and enabling players to feel what it's like to truly play as Iron Man.

"We are thrilled to collaborate with the talented team at Motive Studio to bring their original vision of one of Marvel's most important, powerful and beloved characters," said Bill Rosemann, Vice President and Creative Director at Marvel Games. "Their experience delivering both established entertainment worlds and thrilling gameplay — combined with their authentic passion for the armored icon — will fuel our quest to deliver a love letter to a legendary hero in the form of the ultimate Iron Man video game."

Motive Studio brings their talent and excitement for creating fan-favorite worlds for players to explore and be their own hero, with experience developing titles like Star Wars™: Squadrons and the upcoming Dead Space remake on January 27, 2023.

"It's an honor and privilege to have the opportunity to make a video game based on one of the most iconic Super Heroes in entertainment today," said Olivier Proulx, Executive Producer. "We have a great opportunity to create a new and unique story that we can call our own. Marvel is encouraging us to create something fresh. We have a lot of freedom, which is so engaging for the team."

The game is currently in the pre-production phase and we'll have more updates as we get further along in development. This is an exciting new collaboration between Marvel and Electronic Arts, with Iron Man being the first of several new games. Motive is actively growing their team and you can check out open positions on their website if you're interested in helping them craft the ultimate Iron Man video game adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sterling built a whole career out of bringing a toxic level of discourse to the industry. And then moaning about how the industry is toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"Gamers" are toxic because they're just humans doing human expected things, and the gaming industry is small enough that they can all be heard, yet large enough to ignore them usually. Even when it's positive news, they can't help but have a dig, ie: think it was a Eurogamer article that gave Elden Ring GOTY there recently, and the comments were full of Souls fans crapping on everyone who didn't like the game. Even when it's positive, they can't help themselves.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done as far as I can see. I'd much prefer if gaming companies ignored all of them, media, "influencers" (I detest that term), people, and just released the info they want to release when they want to. We need to kurb this unrealistic expectations "fans" have put on companies to provide every minute detail. Less is more imo. Couple that with removing the ability to pre-order, and maybe companies will start making good games again as it'll be all down to quality on release rather than hype built up.

Then again, it involves humans so it'll never be right. Fecking humans...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Whatever about people calling themselves gamers but gamers who play e-sports games and call themselves athletes can get in the bin.

New netflix doc out next week "Eat the Rich: The Gamestop Saga" about the whole Gamestop stock shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Saw the trailer and I thought I'd be interested, but the trailer turned me off. Could be good, but it feels very 'Merican and not sure if I can cope... Let me know what it's like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't imagine that documentary will be good.

Picturing 90s style news report on something they've no idea about.

"they're calling it stonks, the online craze taking the country by storm. Do you know where your children are........."

Texas Chainsaw Massacre game looks like a lot of fun. Friday the 13th was great craic, highly underrated so definitely interested in this.

I don't know...real life has enough anxiety for me without inducing it for fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Your move, Keighley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Not really game news but the new trailer for The Last of Us series dropped and it's looking pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/rBRRDpQ0yc0

I've found the project an odd, if obvious choice. The games already pitched themselves with deep cinematic palette and approach -, nothing feels gained in adapting it to live action, beyond as a marketable IP. But if it's HBO there's at least a small chance we finally get a competent, respectable game adaptation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Agreed about there been nothing gained. I also think the first game has already been heavily mined by filmmakers, many of whom are gamers these days. So a very faithful adaption, as this appears to be, risks seeming too familiar.

I think it's a good fit. It's basically a HBO series with a game tagged on unlike say system shock 2 or silent hill 2 that could only work as games. Think this one has a chance of being good

I don't know that they couldn't. It just takes the right approach to adapt; work within the medium rather than try to slavishly recreate scenes for Easter egg hunting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anything, I think Druckmann's central involvement may hold it back a bit. It'd have been nice to hand over control to a separate creative team to adapt and build on the material for the new format... there's a possibility it'll be a less ambitious adaptation with an original creator at the helm. Faithfulness is a doubled-edged sword IMO.

But The Last of Us is basically already a TV show in format and story, so rarely has there been a more easily adaptable piece of media. I think that'll make for a show I could easily see being perfectly fine and popular with audiences, but one that, for anyone who has played the game, runs the risk of just being a pretty straightforward retread. We'll see! At least they have talented people involved behind and in front of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think they have enough scope to recreate the story of the game (which a decent amount of the audience will never have played the game or know they story and will be watching based on hype and reputation of the game), but also add to it by swapping out long gameplay sections with additional characters or more dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The risk of giving it to someone detached from the game is you get something like Halo. And it's very hard to onboard a new audience to a new show when you lose the core.

Best thing to do is spend a bit longer in the outbreak part. Everyone that knows the game would still be on board.

Then you have a nice 5 season arc.

Season 1 outbreak to meeting Ellie.

Season 2 to the part 1 mid point "David" section. Big ending to the season.

Season 3 finish off Part 1 another big ending with the fireflies.

Season 4 setting up with Tommy. Explore new story.

Season 5 you are free to either expand on new story based on season 4 or get the golf club.

• Advertisement

I thin that would fall into Walking Dead slowness. I remember enjoying season 1 and then the whole of season 2 was wondering what was in that barn. I get slow burns but they can easily just become bore fests. After what Mazin did with Chernobyl, I have full faith in him to make something special. It will be really interesting to see what Season 1 will cover. There's snippets in that teaser that look like they could cover the whole first game which would be great as it means you'd have more than enough content for great story and action in every episode.

I remember my mother in law was watching an ad on telly for TLOU 2 and she thought it was a new show at first. When she realised it was a game, she said pity, she'd love to watch a show like that. So it will definitely have an audience. I also can't wait to see how they handle the end of chapter 1, will they try a straight copy or something different.

Advertisement