Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lower Decks 3x05 - 'Reflections' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 22-09-2022 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 3x05 - 'Reflections' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Really enjoyed that episode. I like how they're just dragging out Rutherfords backstory through the seasons. Also a really nice twist on the mirror/alternative character aspect, somewhat similar to the Voyager one where 7 had her personality taken over by those she had assimilated. Definitely a stronger episode than the preceeding ones.

I was wondering for a while if the archaeologist was a reference to Vash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A bit of an odd one. Nowhere near as episodic as the previous few, with both plotlines involved with longterm arcs, one being continued, one being started. The Rutherford plot was a little formulaic, but I liked the inverted character of his youth, and it does lead to a fairly dark story arc of dodgy senior officers, and involuntary surgery for the sake of a cover up.

Random musing: it must be the first time that they explicitly mention that enlisted crew don't need to go to the academy. It was heavily implied with O'Brien in the past, by him stating he didn't go to the academy and wasn't a full officer. But I don't think it was ever really clarified otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So were the butt bugs in reference to the Conspiracy episode of TNG?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really enjoyed that. Lots of Easter eggs to different star trek events in it.

Best episode of this season so far.

Loved it when Boimler want nuts lol.

A nice nod to Voyager too.

Interesting backstory to Rutherford.

I will definitely watch this episode again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Definitely. I still remember watching the first and uncensored showing of that on RTE, and the complaints on the Mailbag show the week thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

Loved it! Strongest episode of the season maybe.

It's amazing how much they can fit in to twenty-odd minutes of animation sometimes.

Boimler's ranting at the various weird alien cults was hilarious. Archeology lady was a bit annoying. Rutherford's story just got really interesting all of a sudden, and was pretty exciting in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Solid episode and the story felt much more grounded than the last one. Liked the development of Mariner. Maybe there'll be a side quest later.

Very happy to see the mystery of Rutherford unfold. I still remember the feeling from the last flashback..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Those folks on memory alpha playing a stormer 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Echo the sentiments that this was the best episode of the season so far. Right balance of nostalgia, humour and an actual plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Really enjoyed that. I think putting Mariner under Ransom's supervision was a great step for her character.

I was struck by Tendy's line about Rutherford's nightmare being the one where Kirk and Spock have cinematic chemistry, it felt like a dig at the Pine and Quinto Spock but some people on Twitter seem to have read it has a compliment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭corkie

Sorry for not sharing the link, yesterday. Enjoyable episode.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really good episode. Probably strongest of the season so far.

Love the joke/nods about the uniforms, are they a military, etc.

And I'd nearly forgotten about the implant plot line.

Also, very real Trek, that it's not about the best ship but having a crew you can trust and rely on.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Pretty good episode alright. They really do pull off the episodic but with longer arcs threaded through really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

I believe it was mentioned in the Drumhead too. The reason Tarses didn't go to the Academy was because the screening was stricter than the enlisted route if memory serves. I wonder if there's an enlisted commissioning program too.

I've never liked Starfleet pretending it's not a military when that's one of its primary roles. Unless of course there's something in the Federation Charter that explicitly prevents them from having a military so the can just never officially admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

Ilol'd at that line anyway. I thought it was a dig at the Kelvin lads alright 🤣

Advertisement