Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

I can't seem to find Energia's EV plan with rural prices, I presume the SC would increase by 30%, which would make it pretty unviable. depressing situation really. I'm out of contract with Energia in Oct. so it'll be hilarious to hear what they offer to retain my account, 8c (speculative) CEG won't do it anyhow.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Though I was out of contract this month but it's October. Hopefully all the fit details and plans will be clearer by then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Unit price is the same, but standing charge is 377 i think from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭curioustony

@Jonathon The lower (rumored) FIT hurts the Energia, I used 8c. You could probably eek some more out of this by using more of the night rate from 11 instead of 2. A bigger battery setup may help too.

The Energia rate I used included a 16% affinity discount -- not sure what that is or what hoops need threading...

I'm also expecting a rate increase from Energia in the next little while -- Really a little surprised only a couple (2?) of suppliers have jumped so far this round.

*** Remember this is my solar data and my load data. It will be different for others ***

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How are they still in business?

Are people that un-informed (to put it mildly)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,257 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭con747

I have a relative that uses them and I pointed out the difference they could save and was told they didn't have time to look around. No looking involved! I also have another one who works in the public sector so will support the public sector ESB and wouldn't even entertain moving from Electric Ireland who they are with all their lives, 37+ years on the same Tarif. So un- informed, stupid or god knows what.....

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sit down first but you should have another look at that, the 29c is ex vat*, so almost 32c.

Almost 50% more than my current EI day rate, even after their recent increase. Then another €50+ a month for the 2 standing charges.

Mind blowing rates, you can understand a certain difference between suppliers, wholesale buying strength, forward buying etc, but that is either pure greed or incompetence if that it what they really need to sell at that price.

* an aside:

displaying prices to end users at ex. Vat is a bug bear of mine. Those above are residential rates, and we have to pay the vat, so should always be the inc. Vat cost.

Fair enough for business tarrif rates, or the likes of prices in say a hardware shop that has a lot of trade business

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭curioustony

I looked this morning to see the EV rates. Clear as mud. No indication as to how the rate increase impacts existing plans.

Not a good sign methinks...

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

This is starting to look like trying to get health insurance. Deliberately confusing rates to baffle the customer.

Good deal bad deal who the fuxk has a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭hold my beer

.. whoops wrong thread

so with Energia announcing their 0.1962 CEG rate, I halfheartedly started looking into smart rates again, and once again I'm flabbergasted & disgusted by their behaviour, and also how the 'regulation' is woefully inadequate or plain absent. is there any supplier not taking the piss re. smart rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

I dont see any suppliers making a move, theres only a small amount of people with significant solar pv installed who are basing their supplier on getting a decent night rate. they will need to be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

I am currently getting a new electric connection to a house I am renovating.I have a EV so was interested in Bord Gais EV tariff with discount count it was coming in at 5.4 cent per unit for 3 hour window. I am also thinking of loading a powewall battery during same window to maximize the window when the guy from Bord Gais went to sign me up to the tariff he couldn't because he said the smart meter wouldn't have good enough data signal so I can't avail of any smart tariff is this the norm what is the point then of the smart meter. My phone can get decent signal and the house is only 3km from a big enough town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The smart meters have different levels of communication and rely on the old 2g network. How long since you had your smart meter installed?

I think you need to be on CFT 03 to avail of the smart plans which takes 25+ days of submitting data to confirm. (Communications Technically Feasible)

Also I was looking at that rate with Bord Gais the standing charge is over €400 for electricity so trying to work out if it will be value for money. On duel fuel the gas unit rate is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

Does the CFT value effect the ability to ready for FIT units?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Agree on Bonkers.ie - is not clear and does not show this - rates have changed (I presume because of the constant price increases), but based on my usage over a 12 month period it's still the best I can do

Switcher.ie does not even review smart plans!

think this is the best on offer (happy to be corrected if a better deal out there),

Plan would be to load up the EV on Sun and anything else I can put on the like the wash machine, hot water, electric oven for the roast on a Sun :)

46%/10%/44% is my day/peak/night historical usage and if I move to the BG plan below then 1/7th of this will be mostly "free" if I load up on Sun

night rate not the worst either

was automatically moved from Iberdrola to EI and of course they put us all on std or highest rate so got a nice lecky bill in this week

even more frustrating was we could not move to another provider until Sept 1st 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Is there a monthly cap on how much you can use on your free day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

First Post! 👋

We have solar PV fitted back in June, only 3.5kWp due to space limitations but summer has provided us with a lot of free leccy and the turning off of the oil boiler since apart from maybe three times when guests were here.

We just changed our contract with Electric Ireland (we're stuck with them for 2 years from May 2022) to Free Weekender which does mean having to do all our major electrically powered jobs on a Saturday, but we decided it could work for us.

Its only 8am to 11pm, but I've set Eddi to heat the immersion all day while we do all the washing, ironing, tumble drying, bread-making, batch cooking for the following week and also heat the house in winter using electricity on Saturdays (I can even do a bit of playing with the central heating switch to circulate the immersion hot water around the radiators). They do say that if we use too much, they reserve the right to move us to another tariff, but there does not appear to be a set numbered limit. Last Saturday (our first on the new tariff) the load was 30 units, but we generated 21 however we weren't going mad. This will definitely be more useful in winter and when we get our act together a bit more.

It's not perfect, nothing is, but we've got to do what we think is right at the time don't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I bought a few hundred liters yesterday at about 1.40~ a liter. Based on my rough math (divide that by 8) and i get .17 per KW to heat up water with my oil burner. So my strategy is to switch BACK to oil for winter daytime, probably when the clocks shift.

For now - im only boosting eddi off of night rate and whatever the solar excess generates daily. but that excess will disappear in october for sure.

I'm dreading buying oil! My last purchase was at €250 for 500L, its now €5 away from €700.

Yes, I will only be heating electrically on my free Saturday. The rest of the time I guess Eddi will just supplement the hot water tank with any daytime excess. I am going to wire Eddie's second output to a 13 Amp socket so that I can plug in a convector heater placed in the lounge, any excess will then heat the lounge, but I'm not expecting much from that unless its a particularly sunny winter's day.

fyi

https://www.cheapestoil.ie/articles/trend

handy site that I check regularly to track heating oil prices (average or lowest) and check quotes per county

back on topic..... 😄

haven't used the boiler since late March so hope it'll fire up ok without a service! needless to say, I 👍 my Eddi!

There's always something isn't there 😂

I've got someone supposedly coming to service mine for winter. I suppose its worth it. Last time he removed a family of mice from the back. Why should they get my heat for free! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Well i didn't think the percentage with smart meters and not on smart plans was this high. I am one of the 96%.

With the media involved now i expect movement. However the cru are also involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

2 main reasons I think for the lack of uptake

First people don't know their usage to know if smart plan could work for them, why is the information gathered by the smart meter only available after signing up for smart plan, the electricity companies didn't pay for them esb networks should have a portal where anyone can login and see their usage, we should be able to see our usage before having to sign up for a smart plan to let us analyse it.

Second the smart plans are too much stick and not enough carrot, If you are going to charge people a premium for energy when they most need/want it you really need to charge them a decent amount less at low demand times, not a big enough carrot to tempt most people over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

I'm new to this. Getting solar installed shortly. I have a smart meter. I am finding the complexity (and extra charges) with the smart tariffs perplexing. Also, I cannot simply use Bonkers.ie because it does not factor in FIT.

I realise that I can read the FIT places like here (https://www.purevolt.ie/domestic-solar/feed-in-tariffs.php) and then look up the smart tariffs that each company offers but this is not straight forward.

Hence, just wondering which smart tariff, have solar users here gone for? and why? I am a low electricity and gas user.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is an absolute key point - give people the detailed usage breakdown from their smart meters NOW to help people to make sensible judgements about conserving power and choosing tarrifs.

Advertisement