Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Republic of Ireland to live abord

• 05-08-2022 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I am trying to establish how difficult it would be to live aboard in Ireland (on a functioning/moving sailboat or motorboat).

I know that DL marina doesn't allow it, are there any marinas accepting of this? Doesn't have to be in Dublin, as long as it is in ROI.

If not, can you just move around as long as you have a postal address? Would a PO box sufficient for the likes of financing and insurance?

Thanks a mil for any pointers

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't know the answer to your question.

This article might help

And this one

You could also ring waterways Ireland or the many companies supporting boats on the Shannon.

I guess unless it's a private marina then it's a public marina and most don't want permanent people there. I think many people are ignoring the rules or moving around to not be caught. I know in the past getting a phone land line was a no no as you might move and not pay the bill. I expect electricity, water, sewage would be an issue in many areas. For boat insurance you may need to dry dock annually.

I would find out all legal, insurance, issues. Things like registering a car to no fixed address might be an issue. I know many people near Dublin are attempting to avoid high house rents and see it as cheaper than renting.

Collecting filtering water may help, solar panels and batteries may help but you would still need to pump sewage out.

Internet if working from home may vary a lot depending on the area which may stop working from home.

There might be Facebook groups that might be Irish. If you are in Ireland try visit real people and get unvarnished truth. Fuel costs for moving can be relatively high too. I think there is some form of tax on marine fuel for pleasure purposes. Heating costs in winter may be high unless well insulated.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Although Malahide Marina do not allow live aboards, I know of at least 2 current live aboards on the marina.

In a recent newsletter the marina said they would not be accepting mail for berth holders anymore (it must have become a problem).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I heard they had kicked the liveaboards out in Malahide, were they starting to be a nuisance?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I didn't really notice, just used to always see the same faces coming and going... As I've worked from home the last 10 years, since having the boat on the marina I'd drop down for an hour or 2 3-4 times a week and potter around, and would usually always see the live aboards.

There was a family with young kids/babies, and another guy who's car I still see in the carpark every time I'm there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

My friend lived aboard in Malahide Marina for 5 years. I'm sure they knew about it. Granted, he left maybe 7 years ago. He thought it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

I spent 10 years living on a boat in Australia and found most marinas are ok with it if you keep a low profile.

Start leaving gear all over the place and they will want you out.

It can be quiet handy for marina managers who usually do not have many staff to have someone around to help moving boats etc.

Also someone around in winter to lookout for broken lines is often appreciated by both the manager and other boat owners.

Advertisement