Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Recommendation Required

• 25-07-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Getting married in a few weeks and am looking to get my groomsmen a nice bottle of whiskey each as a gift.

They like their whiskey but I wouldn’t be a big whiskey drinker myself so am not sure what o should be getting them.

I was looking at this - https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/redbreast-15-year-old-single-pot-still

Reviews seem decent but just looking for people’s thoughts and is there something better I should be looking at for that price range?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd be absolutely delighted if somebody gave me a present of a bottle of Redbreast 15, it's a great whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good choice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Thanks folks, just purchased there. Hopefully they like it.

Appreciate the feedback.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've a very similar question, but I don't know anything at all about whiskey. I need to get three bottles as a big thank you for three friends, even if I have to buy them over three payrolls.

I've been looking at the 15 y.o. Redbreast mentioned here, but also at this http://www.mchughs.ie/kilbeggan-21-year-old-limited-edition-blend (I know it's 25% dearer) - any opinion? Or any other suggestion?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

New Home wrote: »
    I've a very similar question, but I don't know anything at all about whiskey. I need to get three bottles as a big thank you for three friends, even if I have to buy them over three payrolls.

I've been looking at the 15 y.o. Redbreast mentioned here, but also at this http://www.mchughs.ie/kilbeggan-21-year-old-limited-edition-blend (I know it's 25% dearer) - any opinion? Or any other suggestion?

Thanks a million.

If you’re looking to keep the cost down the 12 y.o Redbreast is very nice as well. I have no experience if the whiskey you have linked unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Really it depends on your budget.

Redbreast of any age statement is a top whiskey.

If you want to economise Writers Tears, Teelings or Bushmills 10yo are v good also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks folks.

Ps The Kilbebeggan linked is intriguing... I would love to sample but for a present I think play it safer

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Would go for redbreast 12 or 15.

Green spot would be a popular choice among the masses but not my cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ps The Kilbebeggan linked is intriguing... I would love to sample but for a present I think play it safer

It sounds like a load of left overs thrown in together.

"Excuse me, this tastes terrible"

"What did you expect ?"

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

What about mcgregors whiskey??

worth getting a box over?? ha ha

Cleanest whiskey I ever tasted was a present I opened last night. Seven Hills VAT blended whiskey made in the 70's.

I never heard of the stuff before and the bottle was manky on the outside but about a third of it went down very easy and nothing next or near a hangover this morning.

I wouldn't be a big fan of whiskey but I'm looking forward to a few of my friends who are well into it trying a drop of this.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Cleanest whiskey I ever tasted was a present I opened last night. Seven Hills VAT blended whiskey made in the 70's.

I never heard of the stuff before and the bottle was manky on the outside but about a third of it went down very easy and nothing next or near a hangover this morning.

I wouldn't be a big fan of whiskey but I'm looking forward to a few of my friends who are well into it trying a drop of this.

Somehow I think a bottle of that would set me back a tiiiny bit more than €100-€150...

It sounds like a load of left overs thrown in together.

"Excuse me, this tastes terrible"

"What did you expect ?"

So, like a curry but made of whiskeys? :pac: Curries can be nice... :p

New Home wrote: »
    Somehow I think a bottle of that would set me back a tiiiny bit more than €100-€150...

I won't lie I googled it after the first glass and I said to the wife I should have kept it for when people call and she said enjoy it, it's not often I appreciate a whiskey for what it is.

It's not from the lack of trying and I can be very cynical about hyped up brands even though I like to think the few I haven't opened are investments.

Hi folks, this question raises its head again.

I'm looking for a bottle of whiskey for a 60th birthday, I'd like to spend between €60 and €100. They got a bottle of 15 y.o. Redbreast a while ago so I was thinking of going for something else, but today in my local off-licence I saw a single cask Redbreast (in a black box, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 21y.o.) for €99. Should I go for it or is it dear for what it is? Does anyone have any other suggestions, even for a different spirit? I don't drink so I'm utterly clueless.

Also, I've looked at a few off-licences with a website (including those on this thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058258287/best-online-wine-retailer#latest) but I don't know what to look for. If someone could also recommend a good website I'd be grateful. The last time I used this crowd. https://www.drinkstore.ie/

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

I suspect the black box you saw was a redbreast cask strentgh...its about 90 to 100 and is about 57% proof as distinct from standard whiskey(40%). It is a good buy for a whiskey drinker. Celtic whiskey or OBriens have good websites and OB's do free delivery over 100 e.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com https://www.obrienswine.ie/

Thanks for the info, @sceach16

I was in Dunnes in another town today and I took a gander around their off-licence. This was on offer from €70 (on the website) down to €54 in the shop (I actually think it said €68 on the shelf, but anyway...) and there was only one bottle left, so I said feck it and bought it. If the recipient doesn't like it, it can be re-gifted or offered it to guests. It's the thought that counts, isn't it?

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/445/product/powers-single-pot-still-irish-whiskey-700ml-100872857

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Powers has an image problem in that it was always marketed as a mass market product and now they want to sell it at a inflated price, in old time a bottle of powers was €25 and now they want to get €70.

(Thats me not taking into account whats in the bottle btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

• Advertisement

Ah shoot... that shows how much I know about spirits...

Does it make any difference that it's aged?

Thats Powers Johns Lane 12 year old so a huge step up in quality from basic Powers (or the mid range offering Three Swallow).

The bottles have all been redesigned.

Suggest dropping a hint to whoever you have given it to that this is the 12yo version pure pot still and not the basic blended Powers!

Perfect, thanks! I'll tell him I owe them another four to match his age - that should do it! 😀

As i said, im not taking into account whats in the bottle, im just commenting on the name. The spirit could be amazing! Its a gift that should intrigue any whiskey drinker. Its probably not going to be a bottle that appreciates massively in the resale market if left unopened but you have probably gifted a tasty dram that you both should sit down and sip and enjoy.

What should probably be left on this thread as a sticky post is a recommendation for whiskey at different price points.

If anyone has a opinion please advise.

il post my own later, but as a rule of thumb the older the better, and the fancier the presentation the better !

Entry level €25-€35

Mid level €35-€60

Quality €60-€95

Premium €95- €120

Super premium €120- €200

Top notch €200+

Seconded. I'm bound to come back here for the next event.

Entry level

Slane

Busker blended

Just on the edge of entry and mid level depending on whether on offer

Tullamore Dew rum cask finish

Roe and Co

Teeling Small Batch

Lambay Small Batch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm a bit confused by your posts to be honest... Could you go again with what you're trying to say?

Powers John's Lane and Powers Gold Label are two different whiskies by Powers, at very different price points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Powers John's Lane is one of the best Irish whiskies at that price point, don't sweat it. A great gift if they know anything at all about whiskey ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks, @Black Sheep, that's reassuring.

Advertisement