Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Fire Recommendation

• 31-08-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

Any recommendations for an electric fire for a living room in a new build? There will be a 43 inch tv above it and the depth of the studwork is 150mm

Thanks,

Moving from P&H to Electrical

Wearb

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Electric fires are best avoided if possible as the running costs are very high. If I was opting for electric heating I would consider an oil filled rad.

Also, I would strongly recommend that you do not mount a TV above an electric fire. Heat rises and electronics do not like to get hot!

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caoimhe_kelly

It's more for aesthetic reasons really as opposed as a heat source

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there anything like the Dimplex optimist which throws out some heat too.

i have a 21 inch see through fire place to resolve

😎

• Advertisement

Apologies for resurrecting this..

Any recommendations for an electric fire for a living room in a new build? Depth of the studwork is 150mm

Wondering if there are any thin electrical fires new to the market? Heat is optional too! Dont really mind if it it just visual

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stick a Youtube video of a fire on the TV, it's what we do at Christmas!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭mickward

Google Dimplex Vivente, or Dimplex XLF Ignite, both look good in feature walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

My head hurts when I see TVs mounted over stoves and fireplaces.Maybe it doesn't affect them too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know the heat isn't good for them but it's the height itself that gets to me. Any TV installed higher than a fireplace is way too high in a standard sized sitting room.

I'd never in a million years sit in the front row of the cinema because I'd have a creak in my neck by the end of the movie. 😊

Slight change of plan here and looking for ideas from the experts on here

Going to go with a deeper electric fire as the options available are much better. Thinking something with a max depth of 300mm. But I want to retain the overall stud depth of 150mm (it's a small room) but just build something around the fire itself so to hide it's edges. Something say like this....(pic just pulled from google)

...stud depth of 150mm is retained but a surround for the fire is built

Any other ideas like in the pic above? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

I wouldn’t bother boxing it in. It’ll look much worse. The One I linked previously only has a depth of 130mm and unless you can see it side on I wouldn’t bother. It’s the same depth as the tv above

Ideally the center of the TV is at eye level when sitting down. That way you are neither looking up nor down and the picture does not appear distorted. With energy prices soaring and unlikely to ever be reasonably priced again the current trend is to avoid electric heaters. Installing them may date a property. Just like rows of halogen downlighting was a very much a trend of the nineties. Personally I think the minimalist look is best, less is more i.e. ditch the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

You mentioned heat is optional , google 'heatless electric fireplace' plenty of cool enough stuff out there. You can also get one that do give out heat but have an option to with off the heat setting and just have the look of the fire.

We were going to go with one of those but opted for a real inset stove instead, just personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What a ridiculous waste of money tbh.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭newfy

I have a Stanley electric fire that is integrated into the wall….looks excellent, great as an accessory heating source to your central heating! It’s not expensive to run…once you set the stat on remote for what ever temp you want the room at the fire will then just kick in and out to maintain heat of room! So it’s not going the whole time unless you want the room stupidly hot where the fire is going for longer!

Flame is also very realistic! Electric fires have come along way.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 abbey

Hi,

Just wondering what are the running costs like currently with the large increases in the cost of electricity?

Advertisement