Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

If its fake it's some amount of effort gone into it. I think there is too much in the hour long footage for it to be fake. The attention to detail to it being in gta universe would be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

90 videos released, all here. The Jason says it's most likely legit matching what he has heard about the game so far. Wonder how Rockstar will react.

https://pastebin.com/h000V4L7

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A lot of the character movement looks very clunky, so it's definitely a Rockstar game anyway.

The video of the diner robbery pretty much shows it's legit. A blend and evolution of the heists from GTAV and RDR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some of the images had the strip mall from GTA V near vespucci beach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm thinking Rockstar release a lot of info and a teaser sometime in the next few days to get one up on these leaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It is probably out of date by now, and seen as how the game probably isn't coming out for 2+ years I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it. I agree with your criticisms though, RDR2 was the last straw for me, I am not putting up with their clunky controls anymore. There is no excuse for it anymore. Their awful context-sensitive mission design needs to **** off too.

Unfortunately some of the leaks hint towards things like having a backpack, being able to select weapons to carry on your shoulders (rather than just pulling a sniper rifle out of your hole), and rpg elements including having to eat food, sleep, shower etc. So it's likely going down the RDR2 route of far too many needless and annoying systems with awful controls, repeated animations, and just general tediousness. Hopefully at least they can mitigate some of that based on the feedback from RDR2.

I have only watched about 2 mins of one of the videos but yea, hopefully they learn their lessons. I'm OK with them adding more systems like a backpack etc - as fiddly as it was that wasn't the problem with RDR2 and I could get used to it. They need to fix the controls and the awful mission design. It is really irritating that they spent all that time and money on an immersive open world with all these complex systems but every single mission devolved into either a shootout or riding/driving away. Everything outside of that is a context sensitive button-pressing exercise. It is no different than it was 20 years ago, it just looks nicer. The genre has moved on since then and they need to catch up.

I'd be less concerned about the mission structure given that it's GTA and therefore there's going to be a lot more variety in what you can do. RDR2 was limited by its setting and story. They do need to allow for more freedom to approach smaller missions however you want though. A lot of the time you have to use specific cars, stand in a specific spot, do specific actions etc, just because they have specific cutscenes they want to end the mission with.

Cinematic cutscenes are great, but not required for every mission and not at the expense of limiting freedoms and variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

YOUTUBER DANALLENGAMING EXPOSED AS BEING “THEREALINSIDER

Saw this go down last night, the below thread has more info

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy ****, what an idiot! He had a lot of respect and access from the gaming industry, he got some big names on to chat and has thrown it all away for some internet kudos.

That Era thread is mad, when people like this leak info they lap it up like crazy, then he gets exposed and they are calling for his head. What he did was **** but actively hoping for the giant corporation to sue him into poverty is just weird.

As far as I'm concerned his biggest crime is using the word 'addicting'. Why do Americans insist on using this word when it has absolutely no reason to exist?

All of that I can kind of understand, people like attention. What I don't get was how he wasn't even arsed getting a second phone for the alt account, utter laziness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The manner in which Gamers get very very angry about things that don't matter - like leaking WIP videos of a new game - shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it always does. Maybe it's cos I keep thinking that this time, people won't overreact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While he has torched his own reputation and any access he had, it is crazy the glee some people find in him being 'exposed'.

The whole leaking culture has gotten absolutely mad IMO - the sheer level of thirst out there for any morsel of information about upcoming video games is somewhat baffling to me (although certainly fed by the often unnecessary secrecy of the industry on the whole). But then you also have the scores of people who seem to defend the honour of their beloved corporations at all costs and get outraged at anyone who doesn't toe the corporate line. ****'s wild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In a secular world full of 1st world comforts and political apathy, people's automatic leaning towards zealotry had to go somewhere. In games, it's this. In films, it's Wokism and black stormtroopers. In music it's ... uhhh, I dunno - in that media I'm definitely too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamers are the absolute worst. Not to be confused with people who just enjoy the hobby for what it is, formerly known as gamers.

I feel the exact same way about Star Wars fans. Much like Grandpa Simpson, apparently I am not what is referred to as a Star Wars fan anymore, and what is considered a Star Wars fan seems strange and confusing to me (as well as sexist, racist, homophobic with the mental age of a 10 year old).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Any time I meet a "Star Wars fan", I just tell them episode 9 is my favourite and it usually gives me the time to walk away while their body tries to catch up with their rapidly melting brain.

Not that there's much danger of running into one in daily life, of course.

• Advertisement

These new Star Wars fans hate The Last Jedi way more than TROS, but if you REALLY wanted to annoy them you would point out that the lead actor in the Acolyte is gender fluid and uses they/them pronouns. That should make their head explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For music you just tell them you never heard of an artist. Like after she appeared in She Hulk ones were getting worked up that people didn't know who

Meg Thee Stallion was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't really care that much about this type of thing but I kinda get the hate. He wasn't leaking info he got from a source that no one else had, he was leaking info loads of others got but were told not to release until a certain time. Then playing it off like he had the inside scoop that's pretty shít. Plus, him leaking this stuff could lead to companies not giving these guys info early and putting an embargo on it which makes other journalist's jobs more difficult. Instead of having a few days head start to get a video or article done up before the announcement they now find out the same time as the rest of us and it becomes a race to who can get the info out there first after the announcement is made.

My point was that they weren't hating on this bloke when they were endlessly discussing all of the info he was leaking. Where was their duty to their favourite corporations then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

So, game companies stopped engaging with reputable games journalists, instead deciding to go the route of working with 'influencers' of dubious moral fortitude, buying favour by dazzling them with paid trips to see games, early builds etc?

'Well well well, if it isnt the consequences of my own actions' , springs to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In the wake of the GTA6 leak I did see some pushback from developers on the suggestion that the video game industry is particularly secretive. Here's Josh Sawyer from Obsidian on it, although he did fairly caveat that announcement timings are usually down to publishers rather than developers themselves.

Personally, I do think gaming seems super-secretive compared to films in particular? Like Hollywood is generally pretty open about what their creatives are working on at any given time. Maybe there's an exception for comic book movies and big franchises - which probably follow an approach more akin to game marketing - but even then there's often an announcement before the cameras start rolling or major cast / crew members are decided. Granted, well-resourced and reliable trade publications also tend to fill in gaps and report on the process, but in general there's more information out in the public domain from any early stage. There are always exceptions, of course!

Whereas in games I think it's rare to know about a game in development until it's announced with a splashy trailer at some marketing event. Hence why there's such a fondness for leaks, because really studios often 'go dark' for years on end. If anything, it's refreshing when a studio openly says 'we're working on this but realistically it's years away'.

Of course projects are rebooted and scrapped all the time so I understand some caution, but yeah it'd be great if there was a less flashy, marketing-driven way of letting people know what's happening. That doesn't mean pre-pre-alpha footage being released necessarily, but just more transparent updates. I dunno, what do others think?

Did they stop engaging with reputable games journalists though? Even then, you would expect that influencers would be happy to get the early access and would adhere to the NDAs, especially because it would allow them more access in the future with other companies and build their channels. It's entirely mutually beneficial, but subject to strict NDAs which are legally binding.

This guy was apparantly doing really well. I think I read on that Resetera thread that he's doing a playthrough of Red Dead Redemption with the guy who voiced John Marston. I don't think games companies can be blamed for trusting him.

Think I saw a tweet somewhere from Alanah Pearce (may have been an old one that someone retweeted, can't seem to find it again) that for the NDA for RDR2, she had to agree not to play it with her screen facing a window and had to lock the console away when she wasn't there. Whether she or others actually did all that or strictly adheres to every point in the agreements is one thing. But this Dan guy literally had another account and was purposefully and publicly leaking information subject to the NDAs. The fault and consequences are his alone to bear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The issue with announcing games early is that most people don't realise that 80% or more of game projects get cancelled. The publishers really can't announce games when even of a game gets very far along in Development that it's still under threat of cancellation. It's why they only really announce games when they are so far in development that cancellation is out of the question... Mostly. Look at how many companies get burned announcing games way too early that need to be scrapped and remade from scratch or delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I would say that the industry as a whole did move away from press releases etc and have gone the route of less traditional coverage. Even the most recent call of duty reveal was packed with heads who spend 99% of their time on YouTube or twitch bitching about this and that in the game, but once they were all on the red carpet for the event it was nothing but fawning over Activision. It's just awful disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Resetera is their own mad little universe, they aren't representative of anything else either Gamer with a cap G or gamer with a lowercase one.

With the GTA leak they were jumping between R* deserved it for being problematic and that the guy who did it should do hard time for it.

Advertisement