Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

One of the commentators over the weekend made a reference to “hall of famers” when taking about Harrington and Montgomerie. I think he just assumed that Padraig must have been inducted into the Hall of Fame by now, whereas in fact he has been nominated a few times, but never made the cut.

It baffles me why this has happened. He has certainly achieved well in excess of what is required. I know they have changed to a two yearly cycle now and that the age limit has changed (a couple of times, I think), but I find myself wondering what exactly he needs to do to make it across the line.

If he had won yesterday, it would have made him a near certainty for the next intake, but will one senior major in addition to his three other majors and all his other achievements be enough this time around? I know to some extent being inducted to the Hall of Fame doesn’t really mean anything, but Padraig’s exclusion is a glaring omission and his achievements should be acknowledged by those tasked with voting as to who should be included.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well Tiger was only inducted last year so that throws all criteria out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

Wow. I didn't realise he wasn't a hall of famer. He's already a certainty for it. They're probably getting through a few older guys first.

They increased the age limit from 40 to 50 in 2016 and then brought it back up to 45 in 2020. Tiger turned 40 at end 2015, but maybe the rule change happened before he was eligible for consideration. I think the main reason they moved it back to 45 in 2020 was so that Tiger would be eligible.

Padraig was nominated at least twice after he turned 40, but didn't make the final cut. I'm not sure he was even nominated in 2021 (the year Tiger was voted in). I think nominations are due to be made this month, with the induction ceremony to take place before next year’s Players Championship. Fingers crossed for Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

Harrington started the day 1 shot behind Mike Weir on the Champions Tour. He is now 2 ahead through 4 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anyone know what channel is showing this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Final round of 5 under for a 3 shot win from Weir and Thongchai Jaidee. It'll move Harrington up to second place in the money list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

€315K, topping up the pension pot nicely 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

Over $2M in prize money on the Champions Tour alone this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seniors tour seems to have bigger purses than the European tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Ridiculous stats from Harrington - 308.7 driving distance, 175+ mph club head speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In contention again. He seems to have focused well and the consistency is excellent, especially after saying he found it much harder last year. No better man to do it I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's back at it again

Post edited by PARlance on

A couple of bogeys in the last three holes but he snuck it by one for his third win of the year and $300k to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭OEP

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at the Dunhill against the young guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

His confidence must be at a all time high which will help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Caddie shock: Padraig Harrington drops in on looper party, dominates pool table and picks up the tab

Harrington in Sioux Falls, South Dakota this week as he chases a fourth Champions Tour win of the season....

-1 in the wind and rain today for Harrington at the Dunhill Links has moved him up over 50 places and into the top 10.

At least 30 players will fail to break 80 which shows how good an under par round is. This video gives an idea of the conditions

Extraordinary round by Padraig today. Started off with an 8 and covered the remaining holes in 8 under par to finish 5 under for the round.

Probably too far back to win the tournament, but a great testament to his mental fortitude and the quality of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Whats the story eith the seniors tour championship. Is it like the fedex where the players started on different scores for the first round an the winner on Sunday clsims the big pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thought I read that Alker has already sewn up the overall

The Charles Schwab Cup is the seniors equivalent of the Fedex Cup. Just to confuse matters, the final event has the same sponsor and is named the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.

It has a very different format from the Fedex cup. The season long standings are not relevant to this week's tournament. It is a normal event where everybody starts on level par.

Harrington can still win the season long event but he needs to win tomorrow and Steve Alker needs to finish outside the top 5. Harrington is currently leading with Alker 3 shots behind in 2nd place.

The winner of this week’s tournament gets $440,000. There’s also a season long prize fund of $2.1m split among the top 5, with $1m going to the winner and $500k to the runner up.

Padraig is pretty much guaranteed top 2, but (as Paulos53 has said) he needs to win this tournament and for Alker to finish outside the top 5 if he is gong to win the season long competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Ronney

Anyone know what channels this is on later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

Sky Sports Golf @9.30pm. They may dip in and out earlier during the main PGA Tour coverage which precedes it.

• Advertisement

Padraig is teeing off at 7:30 alongside Alker. Should get to see most of his back nine.

Advertisement