Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV License

• 12-09-2022 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if it is the right forum, but here goes.

A few months ago I purchased a TV screen that does not connect to any channels (RTE etc), nor do I have a TV contract with any provider. My TV screen is only used for Netflix & YouTube since it doesn’t even connect to basic channels.

I got a letter this morning regarding the TV license. I was about to purchase one a few months ago but the TV doesn’t even connect to basic channels. Why would a pay a TV license for something I don’t avail of.

I’ve always been by the book, but I don’t see why a TV license would apply here.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Email them and advise that you do not own a tv and use a monitor. If they call to the door advise the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

You probably bought a monitor, not a TV screen, I'd say.

I also think that you do have an idea on what you bought and what it can do, and can't do.

As a monitor is not a TV, the TV License doesn't apply here as no TV can be received.

On another note, how does it work in Ireland? Surprise house to house visits by inspectors? Random letters? Or do the likes of Curry's and PC world inform the TV Licensing guys on who bought what? ( I doubt that's happening)

I always suspected that in Ireland it's a combination of random letters to an address where a license isn't registered, but something else, like an ESB account exists? ( I don't think they look into the electoral register? )

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

No it’s an actual TV, not a monitor. I know what I bought and 100% not a monitor. I simply don’t have a box associated with it to capture channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the tv is capable of receiving a signal or can be repaired based on original design to receive a signal you will be liable for a licence, any other opinion is that of Magic Lucky Bag Land.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

If it's a TV then it will have a tuner / sat receiver built in. Even if you do not use these facilities, unless the tuner section is disabled beyond recovery, then you are liable for a licence.

From the TV Licence website...

""television set" means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception ( whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it ) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus."

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement

I’m not receiving any signal for channels though. Something is not working. It just says “No signal”. So, I haven’t been using the device as a TV per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Regardless of not receiving rte, probably not saorview capable, there's nothing stopping you connecting the likes of a sky box ergo you should have a licence

Nothing preventing me sure, but I don’t have said box.

If it says "No Signal" then it is a TV, and has a tuner, but the antenna isn't connected or the antenna doesn't receive anything as the signal is too weak.

Even in this case, you must have a TV license. Whether that's fair or not is a different debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

You don't need to email anybody, that's a bad idea.

First you will get that little advice slip saying no tv licence, legal requirement blaa blaa.

Next you will get a letter saying you still have no licence and the next stage is escalating the investigation and possible legal action. You might get a third saying the same thing.

Ignore. All. Of. them.

They're empty threats that they send to every unregistered household, even if you don't have a TV.

Do not try to reason with them regarding the monitor, they will try force you to get one regardless and come up with a million reasons why you still need it. They like to threaten and bully you.

As long as they don't have your name, they cannot do anything. Simple solution is do not answer the door to unexpected knocks and do not give your name to the inspector if you do answer the door.

Do note they like to disguise themselves as other people such as delivery drivers/postmen etc and then launch their attack once you've said who you are.

If you're legally in the right OP, and don't have an actual TV then you'll be fine and the legal threats are empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

I didn't want to dive that advice, you did, and I am thankful for that.

Regarding your statement, you're correct. These are just empty threats, they have no evidence, they have nothing, they just send general letters to any household. They must have your name, catch you in the act, get into your apartment, collect evidence for possible prosecution.

What I don't know is if they can get into your apartment with a court order? Even though rare, I've heard these stories about the UK.

Question: If I sign up for the direct debit this week, will they debit the previous months in one go or does it just work on a forward basis?

They do not have my name by the way and I live in a gated community, so it would be difficult for them to access the premises to perform a verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

As a slight variation on this, I resented being chased up in the UK for a license. I bought a TV for use here as at the time they were cheaper in the UK.

After an amusing few months I discovered that not only is a licence not needed for a TV, you can watch foreign stations in England licence free via aerial or satellite.

The license is to pay for the national broadcaster, it is fair and simple.

Now my problem here is that I don't watch RTE since my last LG stopped displaying text. Anything worthwhile is available from other sources without the advertising.

Has anyone tested the need for a licence for a TV in court here in Ireland? If the licence fee is to pay for the national broadcaster, then people with TV receivers that do not consider RTE worth the money are unfairly penalised.

As they point out in the UK, if a smartphone is used for BBC broadcasts, that needs a licence, a tuner is not a requirement, so why should a person using a TV to view photos or recorded media have to pay for a service that is little more than a regurgitation of the worst English rubbish with adverts for a load of useless dross breaking up anything anyone might take an interest in anyway?

I am considering terminating the license next year. RTE is not what it used to be and there is more than enough quality material insead of seeing rubbish like "eastenders" and "coronation street" regurgitated.

So if the TV license is to pay for the material, why are TV owners being unfairly taxed if they reject said material?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Good luck in court.

You’ve no chance.

As the ad says- “We’ve heard all the excuses”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Cornoation Street is on Virgin Media so that has f**k all to do with your licence fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

But I'm sure have seen it on the Saorview transmissions.

I assume that with terrestrial broadcasts if One can receive Virgin then RTE is going to be difficult to avoid also.

RTE used to be a lot better, but I resent paying for such a poor service. Despite having a Licensed TV, I look at RTE Player for a summary of the programs and download the advert free stuff in preference.

Nearly everything is available at far less than the cost of the license and without the adverts that totally ruin anything.

The BBC has gone downbank also, but at least my license fee gave me the opportunity to actually watch the material without being bombarded with adverts for dross that I would never buy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A TV licence costs 43 cents per day.

If you really think that you can't justify this expenditure then you need to get rid of your TV.

You can sell it or get someone who has a licence to store it for you in case you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Ah yes, the argument that it only costs X per day.

I look at it this way...

1600 EUR after ten years.

I'm ditching my TV and licence this year. Can I start a thread encouraging people to do the same?

Advertisement