Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What on earth are you talking about? You don't think better blocking improves a team's chances of winning? Do you watch much football?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Coreyhotline

Apologies if I made my point too simply. Our OL is not in such a state, or likely to be improved so much by the acquisition of Strange, that the pass and run blocking improve to the point of making a difference versus getting a 3-down impact linebacker, shutdown corner or stud receiver, all of which are more likely to add another number or two to the win column. Indeed, we could probably pick up someone on the vet minimum, plug them in, get a slightly worse level of performance and still broadly get the same results. We won’t be picking up any impact 3 down backers, corners or wide receivers in free agency at the level we could get in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tyquan Thornton taken with pick 50. I seen him play, he has blazing speed and he's pretty tall. I'm not sure how he'll do but he'll definitely contribute on ST's from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bit of a perplexing draft by the Patriots really. Seems mad drafting 2 RB's with Harris, Stevenson and White already there and seemingly more immediate priorities elsewhere.

There does seem to have been a big focus on speed with most of the picks, and let's hope a few of them pan out.

We normally have five running backs so they'll be going up against Taylor and Ozigbo and the udfa's for roster spots.

• Advertisement

I'd say White and Harris are gone after this year so probably an eye on that with those RB picks.

Pierre Strong could be anything. He had 1686 rushing yards in 2021 at South Dakota State.

Bailey Zappe likewise could be anything. 5967 passing yards with a 69% completion rate in his only season at Western Kentucky. I was very surprised to see us grab a QB in the fourth round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Jarrett Stidham being traded to the Raiders. As you might expect we are not getting a whole pile in return - we give up a 7th rounder and get a 6th rounder back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Schedule released last night.

2022 New England Patriots season - Wikipedia

Not much to be said really as these things are always a mixture of good and bad against an already known set of opponents.

But some notables - bye week in 10 which is probably optimal - @ Arizona and @ Las Vegas are both within 6 days of each other in December which is potentially great for reducing travelling and giving the team a week of decent weather - Thanksgiving Thursday Game in Minnesota, first TG game since the butt fumble I think - Finish in Buffalo Week 18.

I'd be hoping for 12 wins out if that schedule, any less would be disappointing, a few more would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Interesting that both Buffalo games are later in the season, with 4 of the 6 divisional games after the bye.

Shape of the division could be changed quite quickly in those last few weeks.

I purposely waited until now to watch Man in the Arena. Two episodes in and I'm loving it because it's all about the Patriots and I'm getting to see great plays and interviews with Patriots legends.

I'm also realising how lucky we are to have had such a great coach and quarterback for so long and all the other great players we had. I could name elite players for quite a while and great players all day.

Examples would be McGinest, Tippett, Slade, Johnson, Milloy, Law, Vrabel, Seymour, Wilfork, Light, Bruschi, Samuel, Harrison, McCourty, Gilmore, Butler, Hightower, Dillon, Faulk, White, Brown, Moss, Welker, Edelman, Gronk and let's not forget probably the greatest ST'er of all time Slater.

The above is just elite players in my opinion. The great ones is at least three times as long as that list.

Obviously I left Brady out as he is the Man in the Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Yeah I really enjoyed , I'm a sucker for sports docs though 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Anywhere to watch man in the arena.. no access to disney

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

If you have an android phone there's loads of apps to watch series and movies then cast them to your telly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Harry finally off the books. The Bears have kindly given us a 2024 7th round pick for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Quite the robbery by us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Probably worth noting that Jason McCourty (twin of long-time servant Devin) retired this week. He played a big part in the 2018 season where we went on to win our 6th Superbowl. He also made perhaps the biggest play of that Superbowl where he broke up the long (under-thrown) pass down the middle for what would almost definitely have been a Brandin Cooks TD and a huge momentum builder for the Rams.

(Long video but the play is showed in first 10 secs)

Lots of good stuff about Afernee Jennings and Devin Asiasi, two guys who've had troubled spells since being drafted.

It'd be great to see make big leaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

See James White has called it a day due to injuries. Fabulous player who played a huge part in 3 Superbowl wins

• Advertisement

A great one and always kept to himself. Nothing but the highest respect from me for James White.

Watched the game last night.

Zappe looked decent, Kristian Wilkerson looked very good. Nixon and Humphrey also looked good. Reserve OL had some good performances but I didn't get the names.

On the defensive side Uche didn't play much but got a sack. Cameron McGrone stood out.

Offensive line is awful, needs to be fixed quickly or we'll have an awful season. D not doing great either but they've spent a lot of time on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

No turnovers but they very much kept Miami's speed pretty quiet. The 2 4th downs (the TD and another was never snapped due to a defensive lineman jumping offside) was obviously an issue but they kept the Miami offense to 13 points out of 7 drives or so (ignoring the one that the Dolphins just wanted to kill time and didn't want to score). I think any team would take that as a good result from their defense.

While they didn't score that much they had a few long drives.

I'm not blaming the D for that, I'm blaming our porous OL who couldn't stay on the field for any length in the first half.

Mo

Post edited by eagle eye on

Mo

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Coreyhotline

Hard to know if there's things to build on from last week. First drive either half, the offence looked competent and executed well (leaving aside the interception and dodgy PI miss). At other times, they looked flat. Didn't see coaches cam but I don't get the sense that receivers are getting open. Sitting Bourne for most of the game didn't help either, although can't figure out if that's a function of us spending so much time in our 12 package. Think the biggest problem, aside from OL which you'd like to think we will fix, is that we can't seem to throw anything beyond either short 5-7 yard routes or deep shots. We don't really seem to have much if any intermediate passing, which makes us easy to defend. I thought playcalling was OK aside from some really odd calls (Humphrey run on 3-and-3). D was OK aside from the horrid line Dugger took for the Waddle touchdown, which is a pity as up til then he was making the kind of plays which should put him in the discussion for the Pro Bowl.

Interestingly, Marcus Cannon signed to practice squad yesterday. Not sure if he's any gas left, but if he does, be interesting to see how/if he slots in. Might not be good news for Trent Brown, as I suspect they might swap Wynn back to the left and plug Cannon in right. Alternatively, maybe it's just to up the pressure on Brown to perform.

Some good analysis here, good critique of some of Mac's poor decisions and mistakes by the OL.

• Advertisement

More bad decisions from Mac today.

This Patricia experiment has to stop. It's only been 8 quarters and has been an absolute disaster so far. Watching our offence is such a chore.

Advertisement