Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Strong rumours that the Giants will be the Packers opponents for their London game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

What did people think of the draft?

Liked the Round 1 picks. Bit of a lottery after that. But I liked the process that Schoen took and came up with 11 players overall. We need roster replenishment and I think he has started that. Also, some of the UDFA's look very interesting. I think some of these could make the roster as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

It's been confirmed. October 9th at Tottenham stadium.

How would one get tickets for this? I think I signed up for emails before on UK tickets. When would they go on sale?

Ouch. Rough start so far

Wow what a win!

• Advertisement

Brian has big dabolls!

wahooooooo

I was not expecting that! The first half went as I expected. The O-line was being blown up. Unable to move the ball. When we did have a modicum of success, DJ was strip sacked. But the defense wasn't being blown up, which did surprise me.

Second half, the first stop out of the gate (or drop by them) was huge as it gave us a little momentum. We then had the massive Saquon run and he then finished it off. Another stop and then the big Sterling play (still strange seeing him in #3) and we were tied. That seemed to wake the Titans up and they scored. The interception was incredulous. Couldn't believe it and I thought we were done. Git it back and the TD drive was great. Bit of luck with Saquon's fumble. But the naked boot from DJ (no sign of being afraid after last seasons concussion) and the runs got them down there. The TD flip and then going for 2. I was screaming to try the 2 and it was brilliant. Judge would have kicked it 100%. This seems different.

Couple of things - the run game can be good. We were able to run it even in the first half. The pass pro is still awful. LG was like an open door. Thomas may get a bad rating but it was the LG position that was brutal. There was 0% pass rush. The secondary is very grabby. We could have been penalised even more, but the penalties on the final drive nearly cost us.

Overall, brilliant to be 1-0. Definite signs of improvement. Onto Carolina!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Great to get a win

Barkley was very good overall

Hopefully he can keep it up

Big balls from Daboll going for 2

I wouldn't have minded losing that way if it had failed

It would be nice for once that are D would get a stop to win a game rather than teams always marching down the field and having a FG to win

Thankfully Titans missed this time

Jones is Jones 2 turnovers 2 TDs

Will need a big improvement from him

Good to see Daboll chewing him out after the INT

2-0, let's go!

Giants lose in Prime Tine

Nothing new there unfortunately

Thought Jones did fine considering all the pressure he was under

• Advertisement

Torn ACL for Shepard

Just need Golladay to continue his stellar form

It's a hard one to call. The Giants are not a Top 15 roster by any stretch and if Dak was QB, keeping the game so close, and having the possibility to win that game, would have been seen as good. I thought DJ actually played well. He made good decisions under enormous pressure, his best play was called back for OPI (again) and the run game is solid. Saquon looks back to his best or nearing that rookie season anyway.

But the Pass Pro was brutal. Neal will have some steep learning curve this year. The guards are like a saloon door. Not sure about Feliciano. He grades out ok, but I think he is poor and the guards are taking the hit for his poor play.

The D was not the same unit with Williams. Austin Callitro is a savage liability. If Jaylon Smith is anywhere near ready, Callitro has to be cut. We also need better gap responsibility up front. The Pollard 46 yard run is brutal to look back at. I did expect Wink to confuse Rush more. That, i was disappointed in as we made him look like a good QB. He was our 4th string QB in 2019!

But in reality, if we could win next week, to be 3-1 after the first 4 games would be dreamland. I think this is not a good roster and the current coaching is squeezing the very best out of them. It is clear that DJ is not the long term answer. We need better receivers. But I do think that Joe Schoen will take a knife to this roster next year and offload all of Gettleman's bad contracts. In general, I am very optimistic for the future. Just losing to the Cowboys always leaves a bad taste.

3-1 Giants

Helped by how awful the bears are

Strange seeing us with a no QB offence lol

Injuries really mounting up withy Jones, Taylor (Concussion), Thibodeaux and Ojulari all injured

Jaysus 4-1, we've just knocked off the Packers in London. Dare we dream of the playoffs?

Serious win

Wasn't expecting much down by 14 but in fairness the players fought back

Long time since we scored 27 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

So like 99% of Giants fans were saying for the past number of years it does actually turn out Reese (towards the latter years)/Gettleman/McAdoo/Shurmur/Judge did actually completely stink all along

Not getting carried away but despite all of the problems this team has to work through over the next few years there is evidence of a foundation for this team to become serious contenders again

5-1. That was really impressive

did not see that coming when the Ravens scored their last TD. 2 BIG stops on D

Let’s F’n go!

Our 5-1 Giants

Brilliant win

Serious comeback against good Ravens team

Really smart play from Saquon at the end not scoring the TD

• Advertisement

I think that's a microcosm of how we've played this season. The players are tuned in, and playing smart football so far, and great effort being put in

100%

Effort is a given with this team as it should be

Loving the 4th quarter comebacks after losing so many of those games over the last few years

Jags and Seahawks next up on the road, then the bye week. Very realistic chance to be 7-1 or at least 6-2.

I think the main difference this year is competence. We can't say that the talent level is drastically different than the last few years, but the on field performance, both by the players and the coaches is chalk and cheese.

Every week there is a game plan. There is an offensive approach (running v's Bears - crossers v's Packers) and also a defensive game plan (zone last week to prevent Lamar running wild if playing Man). For me the main difference is our Red Zone efficiency. I would have to go back, but aside from the 2 early Carolina turnovers, whenever we get down to the 1st and Goal, we are coming away with 6(7 or 8) and not 3 as we did all over the previous seasons. The Kafka approach to creating motion and matchups is eons away from the sh**te that Garrett ran. We are starting to see what Wan'dale can be and if we can get a #1 next season, then it could be something.

Wink has worked wonders. The secondary on paper is deficient but he working with pressure to overcome that. If I look at the players who are excelling like X-man, Sexy Dexy, Ward, Adorie, they are all there from previous regimes who couldn't get a decent performance from them. Wink is doing that. We may get roasted at times, but when the game gets tight, we seem to be able to come up with a play.

And the final thing is our second half performances. Every week, we see tangible differences in the second half in attack or in changing defensive schemes based on what we have seen. Daboll is very much taking that New England / Saban approach and making the needed adjustments.

Having watched the Giants for nearly 40 years now, and having had to endure everything since the end of the TC regime, through McAdoo, Shurmer and then Judge, this year has been a breath of fresh air. I am loving Giants fottball!

Phew 😅

bloody hell. that final minute and a half was way tougher than it should have been. But a wins a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Holy hell, my f'n nerves

I've never had such low expectations coming into this NY Giants season, long live depressing expectations!

Not our best performance but great to grind out the win

Didn't think I'd be writing 6-1 this year so not a bad complaint :)

That refereeing was awful. Saquon was inbounds, the illegal hands to the face....

Too many drops as well, but DJ is a man!!!

• Advertisement

Looks like Toney has been traded to the Chiefs for a 3rd and 6th round picks

Advertisement