Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I quite liked Overture and the art is, as you'd expect, pretty spectacular. It's not a really necessary story, but it felt far less "We can spin off yet another miniseries from this golden-egg-laying goose" than stuff like Thessaly: Witch For Hire.

I must pick up volume 3 (the last one) of The Dreaming, the Si Spurrier series - the previous 2 volumes have done a good job of telling an interesting story (albeit a bit slow to get going) that follows on from Gaiman's original, without feeling like just a retread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Finally resuming my reading of the Criminal series...going to get through the rest of them over next couple of weeks.

Might grab that Heavy Metal bundle too on right now for a few of the short stories. Anyone get it and can comment on what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmmm, missed out the Overture. Finished at Endless Nights and Dream Hunters.

I know it's highly praised but a lot of it felt like an anthology series, though some of those stories do get referred to later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In a certain sense it is an anthology series, certainly the feeling I got when reading it is that after the initial plot-and-wider-shared-universe gubbins is gotten out of the way in the first volume, Gaiman wanted the series to be somewhere he could basically tell whatever stories he thought were interesting and experiment (along with the artists) in doing so, without having to stick too rigidly to one plot-heavy throughline. Perhaps picaresque is a better frame of reference, since there is a common protagonist throughout.

On another note, I remembered to pick up the Heavy Metal bundle from Humble (2 days left) but won't get a chance to look at it as I'm away for the next few days. I did note that Humble also have a pretty decent Pride Month bundle that, amongst other things, has a few Jamie Hernandez titles.

I picked up that Heavy Metal bundle, though I've only just downloaded the comics and haven't had a chance to read them yet. Man alive, the folk at HB really need someone to put together a proper "Download all" button for them, they've somehow managed to make it worse than the previous "Spawn 60 file download prompts" by changing it to "open each PDF in a new browser tab" for this bundle. About the only thing they aren't doing yet is putting a captcha on each download, but give it time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

From recommendations here and elsewhere I started reading Criminal.

Really enjoyed Coward and will work my way through the rest I think.

Also rereading/feasting my eyes on Sláine the Horned God, partly as a result of reading Mills' "Kiss my Axe", his history of the series. Mills' "histories" are whiny and repetitive but the comics really stand up still. Charley's War is up there with my favourite comics of all time.

just finished all the Criminal books last week... great stuff. Might diverge into some of my Dredd backlog for variety, get through some of the Anderson stories.

Though I still have a fair chunk of Ed Brubaker waiting in the aisles.

Got a copy of The Department of Truth Vol 1 by James Tynion on Eason for €0.70 with the Three €10-off voucher.

From what I can tell, the story is based around discovering all the conspiracy theories we've ever heard are actually true (flat Earth theory, JFK assassination, etc). The art style looks gritty and magnificent so looking forward to that.

I've been really enjoying Dept of Truth, it's a good balance of bonkers premise and overall plot. There's a dash of LoEG to the way it takes every conspiracy and throws them together, but more in the sense that doing so creates a canvas with interesting possibilities.

The art style reminds me a bit of Gideon Falls, which I must get back to.

• Advertisement

4 kids walk into a bank, Boss, Mauer & Rosenberg.

Just started but very funny and I love the art.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im about 25 chapters into Berserk, no idea why it took this long to get around to it because its fecking brilliant, completely mad and often hilarious, the humour really comes through compared to other Japanese stuff. Really genuinely shocking in places aswell.

Just read Heroes in Crisis from DC. Have to say I'm not sure about Tom King. Liked the Omega Men and Mister Miracle but not sure about the other bits and pieces I picked up. And he seems to be writing absolutely everything at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

When I said ComiXology should allow for a comics roulette approach to its library last *check notes* year, I didn't mean Amazon should put a bullet through it. So that may stop my on-again off-again attempts to get through all the DC Rebirth first volumes. None of which will be listed here!

Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus Companion - Not as a strong as the first volume - can't say I've ever thought about Murdock's mother at all until the Netflix series brought it up and that attempts do to something weighty with it. As gimmick issues go, I liked the one that was dominated by black panels for Daredevil's POV.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Amazing Grace - Big fat meh that reeks of writer embellishing a story they had as a kid set in their home town. Which, unless New York, probably never works. Oh, hey, another atheist character being "What if God was reeeeal though? Make u think". Goody. How about a twist where the Earth is a flat vertical disc cause a comic is near incapable of depicting a globe. No, no, don't worry about the pesky science.

Captain America Lives! Omnibus - Optimism! Hooray! Strong set of Brubaker stories let down, I think, by that WW2 flashback issue of a Belgian village beset by vampires which has a horribly misjudged moment where someone says that the attacks are worse than when the 'Germans' rounded up and took away the local Jewish and Roma population by train. I mean, sure, that might be the character's perspective in the moment but someone still chose to write it in. Plus, the twist

that the monsters are the product of a Nazi vampire preying on a child during that event

is perhaps metaphor enough.

Thunderbolts Omnibus 1 - Best part about the MCU announcement is that I can get the early stuff in a full set - which I had partly made my way through with the Thunderbolts Classic books - and can now get rid of my Hawkeye & the Thunderbolts volumes as the positioning of that ampersand makes my teeth itch. Sceptical that the movie can do the premise justice with a (presumed) different set of villains and without the weight of the publishing history behind it. Assuming that They're even going with the original premise as Marvel doesn't need to be chasing anything with the stank of DCEU let alone the Suicides Squad. Gimme three-dimensional Songbird and Moonstone, basically.

Batman: The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 3 -I never quite buy Batman and Superman's friendship but Tom King does an admirable job of selling it, I found. Enjoyed Catwoman's catsnarkasm around the Batmythos too. And I appreciate the gag of her briefly struggling to suggest who could be flower girl in a world where Poison Ivy controls near everyone.

Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter

Alien 1: Bloodlines - The franchise really needs to find a hook that isn't doing stuff from Aliens - Marines! Bishop! Newt! Capitalist shenanigans! - when the spin-offs struggle to cast a female lead. Possibly seeding for later anyway but I find the threat of androids exchanging notes through a hive mind more interesting than Xenomorphs communicating across vast distances off-world. In Space You Can't Hear Yourself Think.

I was gonna type something sneery about the main character's shocked face and apologise to whoever Larroca swiped for him but:

https://twitter.com/Engineer_LV426/status/1408973459330269184

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01 - Lost interest as soon as the answer to "What would Judge Dredd do if he was outlawed?" was to just be a hypocrite when surely the drama is in the manoeuvring of The Law as it exists currently for Dredd? Not that familiar with the character but isn't his thing that the law is correct at all times, not the previous set of rules was more convenient and thus must be returned to? A story pulled out surprisingly early too. I did laugh at the exchange between Dredd and anti-human, robo-supremacist Call-Me-Kenneth: "There was a human just like you back in the twentieth century. His name was ADOLF HITLER!" "Yes! I'm a BIG FAN of Adolf Hitler."

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Forgotten Myths #1 to #3* - I liked it though I can't imagine who would engage with it outside of those who haven't played the DLC for which this is a prequel, which is a sequel to part of a largely optional storyline in the main game that's better off being finished to understand. And centres around a character who is background info. Still it's a very nice way of making sure Loki doesn't get away with his crimes but provides a path to atonement.

The Old Guard 1: Opening Fire - The Netflix movie is said to be adapted from the first book so would have to have a lot added to it to carry a film as this is mostly an introduction. Not enough there to like or dislike so far but having immortality as an unknown number of redoes at living until death sticks is a fresh take for me. And things like the digital age being too quick for someone hundreds of years old so the arrival of a new generation of phone leave no time to get used to one.

*Digital version

Post edited by Ridley on

Another holiday, another chance to get through my comic backlog 😎

Started into another Ed Brubaker, this time The Fade Out (partly because they kept ramming it down my throat to read it in the Appendices of Criminal!!)

Just completed Act 1 but so far it's great, classic art style complemented by a solid script

Also want to get through some of the Dredd novellas I purchased in a Humble Bundle earlier in the year, like Mandroid etc

Are the Judge Dredd Case Files done the way they were printed or in completed stories? Like would they have story 1 part 1 followed by part 2 or would they move on to story 2 part 1, story 3 part 1, story 4 part 1 before getting back to story 1 part 2?

Think I was going to try it before but saw somewhere they were in the original print order which put me off.

And that's coming from someone who reads a few DC where characters have multiple stories running at the same time. "Oh, look, Harley's a fun quirky solo character, while also being a member of a violent Suicide Squad" or Superman's stuck on Warworld while Dark crisis is also happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Internet says https://2000ad.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Judge_Dredd_stories_in_Case_Files

Couldn't say to be honest, it was a first time read. Can't say I noticed them bouncing around though.

I think I have a copy of Case Files 5 somewhere (I wanted to read the Apocalypse War storyline) and from what I remember it was organised by story, rather than pure "as originally published in the progs".

Most recent reading for me was:

• A random issue of 2000AD I picked up that, to be honest, was all middles and ends of stories and so not really much to enjoy
    • A Paninicollection of Dan Slott's 2004 She Hulk run spanning issues 7-12, which I found a bit disappointing because it was less "4th-wall breaking anarchic comedy" and more "competent but unremarkable superhero melodrama", and I have a very low level of interest in the latter at the best of times.

Mind you, I've been working my way through some small press & indie stuff I picked up in Montreal a while back, and have a backlog of GNs to get through, so it's my own fault for blind buying something new rather than reading something already in my backlog...

Still making my way through Crossed.

Finished the original series, started Badlands and moved over to Wish You Were Here as it was released during Badlands.

Can't beat a bit of Crossed, wish it was still going.

• Advertisement

Dunno what they're doing with Flashpoint Beyond but they just decided to do their own thing in the latest issue and "spoil" a couple things. I put it in quotes as was pretty obvious the events would happen. Like they showed shot of the end of Dark Crisis then revealed a character

who is returning from the dead before Dark Crisis ends.

And since Geoff Johns is involved with it, then it's very likely canon.

Oh and they also seemingly revealed Joker's real name.

Never read any. Didn't alan moore do a run on it at some stage?

Have you seen the Taiwanese film, The Sadness? Think it's safe to say Crossed was an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Recommendation from me: SHIFT - British comic anthology. Very much in the mold of 2000ad and sharing some of the same creators. Superbly high quality in both form and content, feels like an 'adult' comic (not that kind of 'Ooh Matron' adult). I'm a subscriber and when this and 2000ad/Megazine drop in my letterbox at the same time, I pick this up first. A lot of the other offerings on the market feel like auditions to get into the Prog but this stands out as its own thing, really enjoying it.

Would particularly recommend it to someone who has only read 'big' American comics, you will feel the higher quality in story and greater diversity in art right away.

He did Crossed: 100 IIRC - I haven't read it so no idea if it's any good. Si Spurrier did Crossed: Wish You Were Here as one of the Avatar webcomics that were serialised free then published in print, and it was a pretty solid read, managing to find some humour and pathos in there that countered the horror (but also made it that much more gruesome at times). By contrast, I found Ennis' original stuff tedious, like "I did a bunch of research into war crimes and turned it into an edgelord mix of crass jokes and poking fun at preppers and nerds".

Yeah he did and it was good but definitely start from the start, its all some of the best post-apocalyptic horror you'll ever read, avoid spoilers if you can.

Its on the pile but haven't seen it yet, looking forward to it though.

Read and loved the collected SweetTooth. Brilliant stuff, really love Jeff Lemire as a writer at the moment (but i can't shake that nagging feeling that I would have loved to see someone else on the art....)

Also reading the collected Marshal Law, with some of the most Kevin O'Neill-y artwork of all time. Read an interview with Mills recently where he was denouncing The Boys (tv show mainly I think) as an uncredited rip-off of Marshal Law. Disagreed completely at the time based on my memory of it but he might actually have a point, especially with the "..does Manhattan" issues...

Then it will be onto Brass Sun, which I think was a 2000AD strip from the mid 2010s, which passed me by completely but looks like it couyld be worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Reading a Comic called Crannóg at the moment.

I remember a comic from year's ago call Scream from the early 80's the 13th floor was my favorite story.

Both Scream and the 13th Floor were great. 13th Floor continued over in the Eagle after they cancelled Scream, ran for quite a while if I remember correctly

• Advertisement

Speaking of Sweet Tooth, has anyone read any of the Sweet Tooth Returns (or whatever it was called) series? I liked the original well enough but wasn't interested in going back to it. Curious to hear opinions from anyone who actually read any of it.

As for myself, I'm apparently on a bit of a Greg Rucka kick at the minute, courtesy of an Oni Press bundle from a while back - I read The Coldest City because I liked the Atomic Blonde movie (comic was good but quite different in tone to the film, and honestly I preferred the film), and that made me have a look at Whiteout (whose reportedly bad film adaptation I haven't seen). I enjoyed Whiteout well enough to dip into the first of the Queen & Country collections, and it turns out that is exactly my speed - I'm speculating here but I feel like military/espionage series like The Activity (which I really liked) were significantly influenced by the likes of Q&C. Hopefully the rest of it is as enjoyable as the first collection!

Advertisement