Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retest Questions

• 02-09-2022 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I failed my driving test in late July. I booked another test the same day.

I was told I'd be called in 6-8 weeks.

How soon we you guys call we after failing?

Also, feeling a tad nervous going into it again. I got 10 grade 2's in the first one and they were over silly little things. Including getting nervous at the start of the test.

I spoke to my instructor about my faults and he said it was nothing major and to book lessons with him when I've a date.

I've bring practising a few times a week since the test in the town its self and I've driven other places also.

I've improved in one of the areas I picked up faults.(Progression turn right).

Other issue I shouldn't do it again.

Hazards seem can go either.

I did get some faults for speed traffic conditions. I'm unsure was this for ramps or something else? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Curious about this also, please let me know when you get called. Or if anyone else has any experience.

I failed on August 11th (had it in the bag but made a silly grade 3 when I had to unexpectedly move back a foot and didn't check behind me when I did so). It's saying 6-8 weeks but not sure if I trust that with the backlog. Have no other way of practicing other than booking lessons so would really be ideal to get a hard date to work towards, would rather not be shelling out 100 euro every week and then find out I'm not being called til next year

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

I haven't being called yet.

I think it depends on the center and the tester may be on holiday also which can cause delays.

When I did my the tester was fairly certain about the six weeks.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fido_dido

It took about 8 weeks to get a invite from Raheny - Dublin test center. Applied to retest on 22nd April and got an invite 17th June. The timelines might have changed now with many more people applying for tests, holidays etc.

Are you given a selection of dates like the first test or just one selected time because it's a retest?

I'm a bit caught up in work in late September and early October and would really need to select a slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fido_dido

When you get invitation to book retest, you get an option to select both Center and dates with times. you can select which ever suits you. If you want you can even select other Test center for your test.

• Advertisement

Thank fido-dido for the responses, very helpful! My test centre is Tallaght, I've only been waiting a little over a month so fingers crossed I hear something by this time next month, seems promising

It took me exactly eight weeks to be called for a retest. I've booked a time for midish October.

I'm hearing from my driving instructer there's an absolute shïtshow going on in Tallaght with numerous testers contracts ending, and having to reapply, so a massive shortage of testers right now. So there's a huge backlog there now. Wondeirng if I'm better off switching to Dun Laoghaire. Have done all my driving around Tallaght test centre though, so I know all the roads, wondering if it's worth moving over

• Registered Users Posts: 12 get_test_ready

Hi December2019

Don't underestimate those small mistakes, every tester will have different things they penalise. WHat this means is that you need to ensure that you comply with all the rules of the road, use the car correctly and are observing and reacting to what's ahead. You should be very confident in the technical manoeuvres so that nerves about them are not an issue in the test itself.

Don't get too hung up on the specific penalties unless you have a cluster under any particular heading. Your practice goal should be to drive for 40 minutes fault free. (ideally you should be practiced enough, and relaxed enough, to spot your own mistakes.)

Advertisement