Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daniel Ricciardo. So where now for Daniel?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure why there is discussion about Danny going back to Alpine - he's doesn't seem to be their first preference anyway (rightly so). Isn't the current situation that Alpine are willing to pay RBR to release Gasly early from his Alpha Tauri contract? The only reason that hasn't happened yet is because RBR don't have a decent replacement for him (licence issue with Herta etc).

It seems from Ricciardo's side also that he's not in any rush to take up any offer he might have had (or maybe he's had none), which is strange, unless he's fallen out of love with the sport a bit. Maybe he's better off taking a year out and hoping some seat becomes available and a team is willing to take a chance on him, or call it quits on F1 and go do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Or just go with a driver who actually has a future in F1, like Gasley.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If Ricciardo took a year off, what seats come available next year that aren't available now?

• Mercedes: maybe if Hamilton retires, but they won't want him.
    • Red bull: I think Checo is out of contract after next season, but they won't want him.
    • Ferrari: oddly you could see this happening, what with Ferrari's tactical genius and Ricciardo's Italian heritage. (not really)
    • McLaren: obviously not
    • Alpine: also, obviously not
    • Alpha Tauri: really can't see him going back into the red bull family.
    • Aston Martin: Stroll is driver for life, and alonso is there for the forseeable
    • Sauber: I don't think they've confirmed Zhou for next year, but maybe there could be an opening after next season?
    • Williams: depends on who replaces Latifi
    • Haas: KMag has 'long term' deal, looks like Schumacher is gone. So could be a seat there now or next year.

On the assumption that Schumacher is gone from Haas, there are 2 seats available to Ricciardo this year (Haas or Williams), with the Alfa Romeo Sauber seat possibly available next year. So I don't get why he'd sit out a year, there's nothing likely to come along.

Although, a random musing: Andretti want into the sport, and I've heard suggestions that if they can't get a new team they might buy Alpha Tauri. I've heard Mario Andretti say that he'd like 2 American drivers in his team, but Ricciardo is the most popular driver in the states apparently (he's been on a bunch of the late night shows), so that could be a good fit?

I get what you mean but I disagree that it's a shame if he limps put on F1 like this. F1 is about being the best (or a pay driver). He used to be good, but now he isn’t performing.

Same with Kimi. It wasn't a shame when he left the sport being beaten by a young driver who also lost his place on the grid because he wasn't good enough. Kimi wasnt good anymore so it wasn't a shame when he left. Absolutely nobody misses Kimi because he was past it when he left. It will be the same with Danny. That's just the nature of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

WEC, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s really it. No team can look at Ricciardo and think “we’ve got a good chance of success with this guy”. It’s more that it’s a gamble. It might work, might not.

And if you’re going to gamble, may as well gamble on a well regarded young driver rather than someone who’s been very publicly struggling for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

At least get my facts right? Says you... now that's ironic!

I clearly said Daniel signed a deal with Mclaren before starting his second season with Renault. I'd be rather interested to see how you came to the conclusion that is a false statement.

In reality Renault publicly questioned his commitment, loyalty and when he announced his move and its no secret that the higher ups in the organisation were royally pissed off at the embarrassment he caused.

Driving styles?? What are you on? In case you didn't notice, the cars are completely different now to what they were in 2021. Riccardo has been one of the worst performers on the entire grid in the new generation of cars and has had his ass well and truly handed to him in a way only Latifi would also understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As my post above, Button confirmed that even though completely new design, still the McLaren characteristic has carried over. I gather it's something around not being able to feel what the rear end is doing as he would like. It's small margins I'm sure but that's all it takes to put you way off the pace.

People are now saying he was on the decline for years. Not true as at his last team, he was very successful, successful enough to get a huge McLaren contract at that time.

Button speculated that the new design might have carried over the characteristics Ric doesn't like.

In any case, it up to him to adapt. The car is fast. We know that because Norris drives it well.

Another example of this is Hamilton struggling with the new mercedes at the start of this season. He was being soundly neaten by Russell. But he's adapted and now he's the faster of the 2 Mercedes. It's up to the driver to adapt even if the car isn't to their liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

Imo this season will be the last you will see DR racing in F1

• Advertisement

Can anyone think of a comparable situation to DRic? Someone who showed clear pace, was seen as one of the very best and has had such a fall that they might be out of F1 in just 2 years.

I can't think of any. It might be a cautionary tale to young drivers to consider staying in a top car even if it means being de facto No2.

Personally, l think DR made the wrong choice in hindsight but it was a good decision at the time. Renault have been saying they're just about to make the leap to the front ever since they returned to F1. DR gambled and it didn't pay off.

The move to mclaren was also a good decision on paper but his form at mclaren is really surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Quite a few ex Red Bulls. Jean Eric Vergne, Stoffel Vandoorne, Nick Heidfeld

That's about as close as it gets. But none of them were ever flying as high as DR. He's a multiple race winner and had a reputation as one of the best. He was never viewed as the very best like Hamilton or Max, but he was in the elite tier.

Remember his reputation for incredible overtakes? Late on the brakes and sailing down the inside. I can't think of anyone else who fell so far so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Romain Grosjean maybe. There was talk he might be driving for Ferrari at one stage and now he is not even in F1 anymore. He was fast but also not the most spacially aware. He did cause a lot of crashes because of that. I always sometimes wonder if it was the pressure that Grosjean was under and maybe lacking that extra bit of confidence for the moves he was trying to do that Lead to crashs.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The Renault decision was massive alright. I would say money was a serious factor too - don’t know how true it is but looking it up it looks like he went from $6m a year at RB to $35m a year at Renault. 99% of people would find that kind of jump and financial security impossible to turn down.

The fact that he was offered that shows how highly regarded he was. Without that offer, I don’t think it’s a stretch to see an alternate path being that he stays at RB and gets Vettels Ferrari seat instead of Sainz. And if that happened he wouldn’t have been judged at all until this year, and in a car capable of winning races.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So if he was getting that much at Renault did he then take a pay cut to join Mclaren? as I thought he was only getting around 15 to 20 million a year with them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

He must have! McLaren looked racy, and switching to the Mercedes engine too must have made him think they had a great chance of being competitive. I remember thinking at the time I was a great move for him. How wrong I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

I think F1 might have been more forgiving in the past, the cars have rarely been so close so I think a driver off-form stands out so much more. There's nowhere to hide.

Off the top my head. Frentzen, Villeneuve and Montoya all had some serious re-examinations of their skill level very quickly after showing a lot of pace in a front running car. Williams was a brutally punishing team to race for in the 90's thinking about it now.

If Williams was the worst team for driver's careers in the late nineties, I'd say McLaren took over that position and now competes with Red Bull, both risking thrashing any driver's reputation.

There's a long list of drivers that suddenly didn't perform, and got embarrassed at McLaren

• Stoffel Vandoorne 2017-2018
    • Fernando Alonso 2015-2018 (arguably)
    • Kevin Magnussen 2014
    • Sergio Perez 2013
    • Juan Pablo Montoya 2005-2006

I think Vettel and Riccardo both suited the Red Bull at their peaks in team, and their cars since have not (always) had the strengths they relied on. Gasly looks to be good driver, but he showed the inverse in that he couldn't drive that Red Bull.

It seems like a certain driving style can take you to top, but if you're not adaptable eventually you'll be embarrassed by a car that doesn't suit. If you're lucky, you'll move teams and rule changes plus a team building a car around you will make the last drive look like an off season.

Vettel had Ferrari behind him, Ricciardo never had McLaren tailoring the car to him, and I'd argue Renault just floundered developing any car.

fair post. The only bit i'd take issue with is the idea that mclaren never tailored the car to DR. He was brought in as their main driver. Norris has really proven himself since then but he was hardly their clear No.1 at the time. I doubt they were developing the car based on what Norris said and ignoring DR's input. I'd have imagined it was fairly 50:50.

Granted the 2021 car was already largely designed when he arrived. But the 2022 car will have been designed with both drivers in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya but at the same time would carry more weight coming from an ex McLaren, world champion who is at the track most weekends and would personally know the majority of the McLaren team still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ricciardo confirmed that he won't be taking a seat in 2023, with the aim of coming back in 2024. I saw that he's tipped to take a reserve role, probably with Mercedes.

What I don't understand is what calibre of seat can he expect to get in 2024 that wasn't available for 2023. I'm certain if he offered his services to Williams or Hass they'd take him (apart from unreasonable salary requests). Of the other teams, he won't get a seat in Red Bull or Alpha Tauri; he won't get a seat in McLaren or Alpine; Aston Martin won't have a seat and not a chance Ferrari would replace either LeClerc or Sainz with him. Which leaves just Mercedes or Sauber. Maybe Sauber might be an option, especially if Audi confirm they will be purchasing it? And only way I could see him going to Mercedes full time is if Lewis were to retire with no notice period, putting the team under pressure to find replacement (like how Bottas ended up with them after Rosberg retired).

Only other curveball I can think of is if Andretti were to come into F1, maybe by buying Alpha Tauri. Andretti have already said they want an American driver for an American team - and explicitly mentioned Colton Herta. But the 2nd seat could be interesting for Ricciardo - he's the most well known F1 driver in the states apparently, and has shown up on a bunch of late night talk shows. So maybe that might work.

Does feel most probable that we won't see him back on the grid though, which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why, he'll probably join one of the new Works teams in WEC and thats going to be absolutely awesome.

Can't wait to see him in person at the Centenary 24 Hours of Le Mans next June, probably in one of these beautiful machines....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

A few of the Nascar road courses with the Track house team and their 'project 90' programme is probable.

Although DR has turned down an Indycar offer with McLaren, there is a vacancy at Ganassi which could offer DR the road courses and allow Jimmy Johnson to do his preferred ovals.

Indycar road and street tracks is a possibility .

Advertisement