Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 TV Coverage discussions

Options

Comments

The info graphics are **** dreadful still. So little information being shown. For over 10 laps they were missing the little purple thing for fastest lap while Gasly, Leclerc and then a couple more were trading fastest laps. Made it pretty hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

They also said the Red Bulls and Bottas were on inters when they weren't. I don't know how they can get the basics so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Probably a limitation of Monaco, but some of the camera shots were odd in that you'd see the cars going into a corner, but then they'd jump to the next corner, without showing them actually going through the corner.

Do you mean with switching from on-board to off-board?

There's a ridiculous lag between the on-board and off-board cameras. It's probably a good second. Been going on a couple of years, think they tried to handwave it away by blaming covid and relocated production. It happens every race but is more obvious in Monaco because of the street furniture and short distances involved. Also it's less noticeable when they cut to a wide shot instead, telling the difference between 100m of straight at the far end of Monza won't show much obvious disparity for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Monaco has it in the contract that they do the TV production each year. So it's a local who directs it and it's mostly people who do the local news and whatnot.

FOM provide the in car cameras but it's then sent off to a truck that's not normally used for F1.

Years ago it didn't matter as most races were done by a local team who focused on the local driver or team and now we are used to the FOM feed being pretty good. (It's not perfect!!) But its a hell of a lot better than years ago.

I watched a youtube video recently that said they are looking to upgrade the in-car cameras soon. Something about a 360 camera? Your always going to have latency it's on a car going 200Mph around a 6km circuit even fiber takes time. Remember the time when it went under a bridge and it dropped out? Ah they were the days.

• Advertisement

There wasn't that kind of latency til a couple of years ago though. The lag between the on-board and off-board wasn't a Monaco issue.

I do miss the switching when they'd go into the tunnel. :D Though if you look at clips even from the 90s you'll see the cuts are pretty much perfect.

For all the tech in F1 they really do love to make things as awkward and difficult as possible. The DRS system was meant to be a first iteration, they'd get rid of the backmarker bug soon right? 360 cameras have been in IndyCar for well over a decade now.

I hate the onboard cameras you see in American series where they can turn the camera when the director wants. I get that they want to swivel to view a crash or whatever, but I find it very disconcerting

I remember years ago getting home after midnight and the Texas race was on. This was when it was 220mph 3-wide pack-racing and they'd go onboard. I never felt so nauseous for so long. Though for me not because of the angle but because of how bloody terrifying it was to see how close they got in every direction to disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What about Skys fixation with Christian Horner ??? 🙄

I think their commentary team and presenters are excellent.

Croft - hes fine, knows his stuff.

Brundle - absolute class, knowledgeable, and a bit of sarcasm when he wants.

Button - really good, relaxed and of course knows his stuff also..

Chandhok - very good also, also understands whats he explains ..

Patrick - hmmm, a bit 'excitable' for me ... says a lot, but doesnt really say anything ...

DiResta - very good.

Davidson - very good explaining the details.

But their love in with Horner every weekend is very annoying to me, and i like Red Bull.. !

Theres other teams in the pits !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think Horner loves the limelight, I thought that they would go to Horner because he will talk to them during a race while the other team principals probably won't

• Advertisement

They'll go to who they can. Jordan/Midland/Force India/Racing Point/Aston Martin has pretty much always been the go-to team for access. Regularly remember Mike Gascoyne being on coverage, was it Toyota he was with as well? Or one of the **** 20140 (Jesus time flies) teams actually. The Alpine crowd somewhat similarly. It's a good way to get out-sized coverage so it's usually the mid-to-lower teams who do it. Red Bull being the exception because it's the whole point of all of their projects to get as much coverage as possible.

Looks like Sky (based on their youtube output so far anyway) are going to be insufferable this weekend. The usual Hamilton coverage, Britain is unreal, etc.

The gap between the onboard and offboard shots kinda ruined Hamilton/Leclerc into Copse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The constant replays after the SC restart while it was all kicking off was shambolic

No Simon Lazenby this weekend with Sky's coverage, which is a good thing in my mind. Although Johnny Herbert is there, so swings and roundabouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The F1 TV Pro is excellent, get to select camera angles, in car, different commentart. Vpn required but it's a proper paid sub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Agreed on the coverage, though I didn't have much success activating via a VPN. I ended up signing up legitimately while visiting the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The sign up can be difficult (I have a Turkish Google account for these purposes) but you need a VPN to watch, any country that has pro available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I haven't had to activate the VPN to watch yet, and back in Ireland after watching Monaco away.

Maybe once after login, or even (thinking back) it wouldn't log into the tv app because the VPN was active. (That was the issue for me signing up via VPN - i followed the steps on the bargain alerts thread but it didn't work out)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Brundle seems to have difficulty with the letter "T" , or at least the pronunciation of words that end with it. "Ow (out) and abow (about)".

• Advertisement

If ever there was confirmation that the French GP is decidely meh, look at sky's team for this weekend. Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta and Johnny **** Herbert...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Did ye see the go of him trying to demonstrate a pit stop in the 1920? The grunting was cringe. Just show the process, really no need for so much theatrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It works for you without a VPN because all EU streaming subscriptions have to work in all EU countries. Unfortunately this isn't the case for people with Turkish subs.

I see that Sky Sports F1 is finally being added to Virgin Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There are 360-degree cameras on every car, but they don't show the footage live. You'll see the footage afterwards, though, on something like the Weekend Debrief. Don't know why they can't show it live.

Something that annoys me about F1 coverage is you don't get a true picture of the speed. The shots are always being zoomed out and then in again as a car approaches and passes. Watch the next time. No stationary shots with barrier cameras like in say Indy 500, where you have the cars whizzing by one by one in a split second. Yes, there are the kerb-cams, but they're more like fisheye lenses and distort the shot, so you don't see the cars approaching.

And one last gripe, not only F1-related. Why tf does it take so long for the the red button to load the content? In this day and age you'd think it'd be instant, but you've to wait 5-6 valuable seconds. This hasn't improved for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The 360 cameras are too high a bandwidth to do live. It's essentially 4K so they record it to disk and then provide it to the broadcasters after.

Really have to wonder why sky persist with having Nico Rosberg on their coverage... He's not able to get into the paddock (he's not vaccinated against covid) and his takes are not very enlightening. And his weird Skype call video quality is just off putting.

And its not like sky don't have other world champions as part of their team (Damon Hill & Jenson Button). I don't get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Re Nico, it look ridiculous from a production perspective that he is dialling in from his bedroom. I used to enjoy listening to him when he was part of the coverage and at the track.

Mind you, I would take Nico remotely over Johnny Herbert any day. Damon Hill isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. I enjoyed Nico Rosberg's presenting and commentating on track. He was comfortable on location and around the other presenters who were also former F1 drivers. Remote presenting feels a bit lazy when there are plenty of presenters available to Sky TV on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I thought that Hannah Schmitt "bit" on Sky was extremely poor.

Totalled about 10 minutes. Started off with her talking about what feeds into strategy and then a few minutes on how they caught and passed both ferraris in Monaco including a hand drawn diagram with some colour markers. Rubbish.

Give her a solid thirty minutes and build her profile for christ sake. Cover her interests when she was younger, what she did in college/University, where she started strategy wise, what she did to develope in her role, achievements, something she figured out that makes her proud etc etc

• Advertisement

Sky's coverage tomorrow is shorter than usual (starting at 1 instead of 12:30). Think they were shorter today too. Anyone know why? Wondering if it's to do with the queen? Maybe they pulled staff to help with the news coverage?

Advertisement