Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

Id say a more realistic price is 4k at the moment.. you might get a bit more but these aren't going north of 4.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

4K watch unless you get very lucky. Trade against another over priced watch might be easier pill to swallow.

Here is another lad also at is misguided to think it’s a 5k watch, won’t take images, and won’t allow viewing as such. Good luck with the sale there on that lol

https://www.adverts.ie/27687028

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah there's a seamaster up there at 4800 which is a 4k watch every day as well. obviously folks buy at retail and dont expect the fall then.. you'd easily pick up a mint seamaster on chrono24 for around 4k.. offer it on adverts to an irish seller and they'd call it a low ball offer.. nevermind the chrono seller is paying fees of 300 or so out of that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That lad is utterly deluded if he thinks that keeping it in a safe deposit box is an acceptable reason for using stock photos and knocking back viewings.

I reckon €4k - €4.5k on a private sale is about right and if I was selling? I'd be looking to crystallise that sale asap as prices are on the decline IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

These are not cheap watches but neither are they rare to be for sale. I can never understand why people are so passive agressive in their ads on adverts. Just screams that they are dickheads. I on the other hand am a dickhead but I mostly hide it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Such modesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Nah I am just the master of brining it out in others via transparent self deprecation, but thanks for the positive vibes lads. If I had feelings they would be hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Thanks for the feedback lads. Will always consider offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Gents what would be a good price currently on a 2021 Submariner 41mm Date plastics still on and full set? Been offered one and hard to know is it worth buying in the current market (obviously it is more than retail!)

• Advertisement

41mm is the new model right?12.5k would seem a good price at the moment but market is in free fall and no Economic pain has been felt yet really.

Stable market graph for that model below. Consider that inflation worldwide is running like a train at 5-12 percent in the big developed economy and this “asset” is still falling like a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

C'mon spill the beans, how much have you been offered it for? I agree with 893bet that about €13k would be a good price. It's under €10k retail. At that price of €13k you're probably reasonably sheltered. There's a few for sale in Japan on Chrono24 with an asking price around that level, but the cheapest one in Europe is a good bit more than that.

The above graph posted by 893 is deliberately posted to prove his point that these watches have come down in value in the last 6 months. They have. But this gives a more accurate picture of price development:

You can clearly see the watch had been more reasonably priced until the silly bubble earlier this year, which is now burst. The watch is back down almost reasonably priced again, perhaps coming down a bit further but still worth well over what it was a year ago

New model sub smells of 13-14k to me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

chrono prices are much like the inflated adverts tax

here is a funny one, someone made an offer on a watch to have a chat and long story short the person thought the photographs were from a catalogue and then started questioning how a watch can be 2 years old and in such good condition and they want to know my secret.

There are some odd people about lol i have never heard someone complaining the watch isn't battered enough

The internet isn’t for everyone

No. Purpose of my graph was to demonstrate that the market is not “stable” despite the ramblings of a Miami retard in glasses or a drink Irish man in Italy. Your graph shows the same downward trend.

Its stable in that it’s falling for any (or at least most) of the over retail watches. When those graphs plateau for 3-6 months then they are stable.

if they ain’t pointed upwards at 10 degrees then they are loosing real value as inflation eats them anyway.

Calling any kind of a bottom now is crazy when prices are only back to what they were at Xmas 2021. They were stupid expensive then but our ceiling and perspective changed.

Similar to oil or esb.

At 1 euro a litre. Oil is grand price. We are used to.

Goes up to 2 euro a litre-oil is crazy

1.80-creeeping down a bit

It will drop to 1.40- and everyone will be oooh oil is cheap again.

(now obviously a lot of watches are largely stable in that the never really went up or down in the last 3 years but it goes without staying must of the discussion is around the “hard to get” watches.

The biggest problem with 24 pricing is it’s 90 percent dealers. This distorts the market price in private sellers heads.

yeah you might have the cheapest on on C24 as a private seller. Just under the lowest dealer by 50 quid is the classics. But I can buy from that dealer direct and shave off another 5-10 percent. And they have over heads to cover and warranties etc to honour. Private sellers need to get **** real to be honest from what I see.

Have to agree with 893bet trend is downward not towards stability, but lets play a game of pin the tail on the donkey of where we are right now.....I think its a load of bulltrap. And we have had the bulls out in force reassuring us its safe to buy again, or telling us that its only effecting certain subsets of the market. When a pepsi is 15k (one on adverts at the moment for 20....so 18.5k realistically) how is a black sub going to hold 13k?

The return to the mean will be 2019 prices adjusted for inflation. Market is a bit weird at the moment cause sales are few and credit is easy to get allowing dealers to bumble along, but once the fire sale starts the last few years gains will be gone. Tax and vat return time coming in the next few months, and then the christmas buyers will have their pick of the rotting meat from the dying dealers.

All this talk of “just a correction” and “market is stable for the last 11 days” stinks of denial/return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agree, and it's something that I think is becoming more evident in any talking to folk when trying to do a deal. The squeeze on prices is 2fold now IMO. There is significant downward pressure on nearly everything and it's being compounded by inflation eating away at both realized value and free cash flow.

Not seeing the same pressure. I made a few reasonablish offers on a few watches on C24, for curiousity sakes . No one is desperate yet. But that will come potentially.

If this global recession occurs like it could there is potential carnage with job losses etc…..and the price of daily expenses being threw the roof (unlike 2008-12 when there was “value” around the place). But I am not a “recession wisher” like some to be clear but I think things are fine balanced in the wrong direction slightly unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Yes agreed there, plenty of signs of a stagflation period coming, which is terrifying. We haven't seen one in the western world in about 50 years and circumstances are very different now, so it is extremely hard to make any predictions about it.

With the watches my prediction is that at the moment dealers (you can say the same to a lesser extent for private sellers) are sitting on stock and on the books anyway things are not too bad, they can manipulate Chrono24 prices as they wish to bolster the value of the stock. But thats a lot of cash tied. At some point they are going to have to actually sell these watches. They will sell the older ones in stock longer bought for lower prices. But in time they will have to realise their losses. Somebody is going to be first and at the moment nobody wants to be the one to get in first and get the dosh off what buyers there are out there. Once the dominos start the market will find the true value of these watches.

I was starting to think that the market was stablising, but then I start getting fed the youtubes about how now is the time to buy and that sealed it for me. If it happens real slow maybe inflation will balance it out. but if I was sitting on 10 hulks at 24k and 10 daytonas at 40k I would be **** my pants right now

As for global recession I dont know, certainly it will look very different from the last recession and I dont know what it will look like. Stagflation needs high unemployment rates so I am not sure unless a ton of layoffs in the next while....hard to see in Ireland.

@Fitz II - " if I was sitting on 10 hulks at 24k and 10 daytonas at 40k I would be **** my pants right now"

If I was sitting on one each this morning, I wouldn't be sitting on them anymore this evening 😁

But seriously very few dealers would have bought the bulk of their stock at the peak of the boom at the start of this year. And even if they have some overvalued stock, previous profit accumulation should well balance that out. They'll wait it out, they'll be fine. If not, it's time to separate the wheat from the chaff and some overstretched chancers will disappear from the market

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Johnny1980

Hello all , selling my as new Cartier santos WSSA0037 grey ADLC . Only purchased it last week on chrono24 but it is just a fraction too big . Willing to let it go for a steal if anyone is interested .

https://www.adverts.ie/27780216

Ive a few watches listed and will be adding a few more over the coming days .Adverts tax included on the prices but a decent deal if anyone here is interested in anything .

https://www.adverts.ie/member/440584/ads?touch_off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That's some clear out... something juicy inbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

Once again my taste in watches doesn't quite match my taste in wages. GLWS, some nice ones there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Just as a minor aside, I've recently had better luck on eBay than I have on domestic classifieds with sub €500 watches.

Things that hadn't moved in months went in days, for more or less what was expected.

I've done a fairly vicious clear out in recent months and sold six watches. I'm now down to vintage non-runners and bracelets to get rid of.

I've a few more to add when I get chance but just having a bit of a clear out .Any funds in will be kept in the watch fund for future purchases. Most likely a gmt master II in some form . I've a watch bought from @893bet when we get time to meet up and its very different to my usual type.

Yes most likely will use ebay for the seiko's, just wanted to get some listed somewhere as I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wow , some crackers there

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement