Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Suckler

Just finished this one. Some great interviews throughout.

https://www.irishtimes.com/podcasts/gubu/

Persona: The French Deception

What does it feel like to pick up the phone and scam someone out of $50 million? This is the story of Gilbert Chikli, one of the greatest con artists of all time. Host and award-winning journalist Evan Ratliff investigates how Chikli duped some of the world’s most powerful people into handing over their fortunes.

He explores how Chikli evaded the law for years and became a Robin Hood-like hero. More than just a tale of criminal genius, this is a show about the moment we’re living in right now — the golden age of scammers — and the power of seduction. But what happens when the fantasy we’ve been lured into finally crumbles away?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

Podcasts I listen to which haven't been mentioned in past 15 pages or so:

Politics:

Oh God, what now ? / The Bunker / The New European Podcast: Leftie/ anti-tory Brits talking politics. OGWN can be very funny at times. I don't know why Alex Andreou isn't all over TV panel shows. An approximate quote from him about the UK leaving the EU to get better trade deals : "it's like a middle-aged man leaving his family, moving into a bedsit and then setting up a Tinder profile stating he is looking for women 25-years or younger."

Politics on the couch: How our psychological biases affect our political decisions

Red Lines: Excellent BBC radio Ulster podcast about goings-on up there

Brexit Republic: Excellent RTE deep-dive into the latest machinations, and the only solely Brexit-related podcast still going that I know of

Science/Philosophy: BBC In our time (Melvyn Bragg).

Theories of Everything : Maths/Physics/Consciousness. Philosophical discussion but grounded in science/maths

Comedy: Club random: Bill Maher having informal chats with his guests in his home while drinking & toking. His Real Time HBO show also has it's own podcast.

Beyond the Scenes. The hilarious Roy Wood Jr. from The Daily show (Trevor Noah) drills down into some of the spots from The daily show, with the producers of the spots.

Sport; Shift F1: the best Formula 1 podcast

Tech: Security Now: If you are interested in security & privacy of your computer/phone/ internet of things (random stuff like doorbells & thermostats you connect to your private network) . Very long-running pod. Informative & entertaining .

Docu: Slow Burn : Very deep dive into historical American topics like the murders of Tupac & Biggie, Rodney King, the Iraq invasion, Watergate

Misc: That UFO Podcast. Started following this after the 60 minutes TV episode showing the videos captured by US navy pilots and interviews with the pilots & others. It also follows the congressional hearings and task forces that have been set up. I like it because they mostly limit their interviews to people who aren't way out on the fringes, including ex-military etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Started listening to "last man standing" about a journalist who went into Syria in 2012 and and was captured. While alot of other journalists who were caught they were either released or beheaded. He was last seen in a video released by ISIS

Just started "Who killed Daphne" about a Maltese journalist who was killed after she had been exposing government officials. Very interesting so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

This is very sad and infuriating in equal measure. It's about an American NFL player who had chronic concussions and also murdered some people. It's the Boston Globe Spotlight team so not too padded.

https://open.spotify.com/show/5DN5xiAToNt3VrCykD4Fcn?si=b5dcdb2b37884730

that guy was a bad egg from the start tbh

there were a couple of other podcasts on his story already

is the angle here that his behaviour is being put down to just concussion?

No, not at all. More that it is likely to contribute especially as his concussions started very young, so the being bad from the start as you say may also have been influenced by the CTE. It’s just the story of football concussion really, with Aaron as one of the biggest failures of Football Inc I think.

He blew away two guys to death with a handgun and then months later shot his "friend" between the eyes and threw his body out of his car and left him for dead but somehow that guy survived (with the loss of an eye). He also murdered another man. And linked to other shootings.

He was a heavy drug user which made him paranoid.. He also had an inherited genetic trait that made susceptible to head damage.

Nobody was "saving" this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Suckler

It wasn't concussion related and I'd agree with your synopsis with his drug use. It was also the ethos around 'protecting' up and coming football stars that's endemic in the sport. It starts when they are young; mistakes/indiscretions were brushed under the carpet, school grades 'massaged', crimes covered up. This carries forward to college football. Some one brought up through the system of never being held accountable for their negative actions but lauded and rewarded is going to come out of it all with a sense of entitlement/invulnerability/ remorselessness.

• Advertisement

I can accept that angle as playing a part but likewise and more significantly he was obviously a paranoid egomaniac with violent tendencies with access to guns and they are more significant factors imo.

There are plenty of thugs who ended up being serial murderers involved in the drugs business or similar but he is quite unique in that he had money and fame and was at the very height of his sports career (and not some post-career person who morphed into a nutter later) and threw it all away and eventually not just that but his freedom and life.

The framing of this particular podcast gives it its angle of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The off field rugby pod is an enjoyable listen for anyone interested in interviews with rugby players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭lc180

Thanks for the recommendation, I really enjoyed this one! I binged it in a couple days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If anybody is looking for a non PC chit chat on everything random, you should check out the Wet Jeans podcast. Complete satire and just two guys talking about whatever they want. I'd say most of their US following take everything they say for reality, which just makes it even funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Ben Done

Fairly mainstream but enjoying The News Agents - Emily Matlis and Jon Sopel, jumping ship from the BBC - both are great journalists, (also Lewis Goodall, another good reporter leaving the editorially compromised BBC.

Also The Rest is Politics with Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart - neither of them everybody's cup of tea but insightful into UK and global affairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'm probably about 5 years behind the curve but just in case anyone else missed it as well :-)

"In the Dark" is an excellent investigative podcast - normally not my kind of thing at all but stumbled across it recently and have been bingeing it for the last couple of weeks.

"Vigilante" was similar-ish but nowhere near as good.

"Missed Fortune" is initially quite interesting and engaging but tails off a bit towards the end.

And another strong recommendation for 'The News Agents'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

I heard Adrian Dunbar interviewed today about a new pod he is narrating, called Obscene: The Dublin Scandal

Its about the Malcolm MacArthur case and its a one part per week on all podcast suppliers, however its all available to anyone living in the UK with BBC Sounds.

Started listening to the first 2 episodes today and its very good so far.

I also searched the pod player for GUBU and found another version of the same story, I listened to part 1 and i like it,

Its called GUBU

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Malcolm MacArthur"

The phrase Grotesque, Unbelievable, Bizarre and Unprecedented was paraphrased from a comment by then Taoiseach Charles Haughey, while describing a strange series of incidents in the summer of 1982 that led to a double-murderer, Malcolm MacArthur, being apprehended in the home of the Irish Attorney General Patrick Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

This six-part pod from The Guardian tells the story of serial cyber-stalker Matthew Hardy and his countless victims. As well as interviews with those affected it also discusses the issue of responsibility and whether social media giants need to do more to stop people like Hardy. Very good pod which tells both sides of the story in a balanced fashion.

Huberman Lab:

He devotes 3/4 or more episodes to a topic (e.g. sleep) and goes all science plus all sociology on the topic. He's very interesting, doesn't condescend yet explains scientific jargon to non-scientists, and gives loads of resources outside the podcast. Really interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just finished listening to Hoaxed by Alexi Mostrous. Riveting stuff about how a fake child satanic abuse case in England became a world wide story and got taken up by conspiracy groups and then their opponents.

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/listen/hoaxed/

• Advertisement

Started listening to Obscene: the Dublin scandal" really good so far. Don't like giving too much of the story away but it's about a guy who killed two random people in the early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I just finished listening to The Clearing, it is about a woman in America who, as an adult, discovered her dad was a murderer and the journey that followed. It is really layered and interesting.

+1 on this one.

I knew next to nothing about this case and it's absolutely mind-boggling what happened....1980's Ireland was a strange place.

There's a new podcast out by the TodayFM courts reporter called Inside the Crime which is about a possible related murder... haven't started it yet

A really unbelievable story. Fiction like. A bit before my time so it's great to listen back on how it was in the early 80s.

Brillaint thanks for that I'll add that to my next listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I read this reccomendation this morning and thought "this sounds good", some obscure case by the sounds of it"... then I looked up the podcast: Malcom McArthur.... Probably the most famous murder case in Irish history!

Maybe I'm getting old, but it was before my time too and I thought this case was still widely known. The Irish Times also did a podcast series about it recently too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that show is good because it is a crazy, crazy story.

Following on the recent theme of Ireland in the early 1980's, currently listening to the Shergar series in the excellent "Sports Strangest Crimes" podcast feed.

For reasons that aren't clear, it's presented by Vanilla Ice 😂 but he does a decent job imho

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

I've just finished Con Juan, it's about an international con artist, really enjoyed this one!

While I'm at it, here's a few that have got me though the night shift over the pandemic, a mixed bag but you might find something!

Con Juan

Sweet Bobby

The Witch Farm

Scotland Yard Confidential

Who Killed Emma

Mens Rea

Believed

The Making of a Detective

Serial

I’m not a monster

Inside the black box

Your own back yard

The witness 

Teacher’s pet

The troubles

The bloodied field

Gun plot

Shendee's Story

The Explorers podcast 

To live and die in LA

Bad bad thing

The Suspect

Missing crypto queen

Exit scam

The northern bank job

Girl taken

Gubu

Gangster

Lore

Up and vanished

Irish history podcast

Maddie

Inside the black box

Real narcos

Extremities

Blind spot 9/11

Scotland Yard Confidential

Caliphate

Unravel Snowball

Stardust

Last voyage of the pung su

Death in Ice valley

Nobody zone

Where is George Gibney

Dating game killer

Unfinished

Real Dictators

13 minutes to the moon

Monster The zodiac killer

Man in the window gsk

Amplify archaeology

The lady vanishes

West Cork

A hurlers life

We become hero's

Ear hustle

Mafia

Freshwater

S Town

Uncanny

I Spy

The Battersea Poltergeist

Relative Unknown

This podcast has fleas

In your nature

The Black tapes

In the dark

Extacy the battle of rave

Accused

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Loving real dictators

If books could kill - Michael Hobbs and Peter Shamshiri

Tearing "airport" bestsellers apart. Liking it so far. It's only started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I chanced on a book by this guy in a charity shop a few weeks back. Business For Punks, not read it yet.

Advertisement