Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why Xbox Series S is not worth buying

• 14-08-2022 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Well it's very simple really.

Let's say you didn't buy an Xbox one and want to play for example Dead Rising 3. You go to the Xbox store, thinking to yourself "that's a 10 year old game so that should be cheap" it's 50 effing euros or as they like to say 49.99. That game can be had for 10 euro physical copy used but you're screwed because you bought a Series S. Same with Quantum Break it's 40 on the store. It's a fiver for a physical copy of the game. The Xbox online store is a monumental rip off. You have games that are 10 years old cost 50 euros. It's ridiculous. So what's your only modern day option for physical games then? Xbox Series X. That'll be 500 euros. What new games has that got that would be interesting to me? Halo Infinite. That's it. 500 euros so I can play Halo Infinite and a load of old games I didn't play last gen at the actual price they should be. Can you see the massive problem with Xbox here people? Neither console is worth buying. If you hate the concept of games pass and hate the idea of not owning your own games then the Series S is an absolute no no because the games on the Xbox store are a monumental rip off. Xbox Series X is 500 euros and is too much because (well for me anyway) all I would want to play are Halo and Gears games and some older games I missed out on. I suppose I could just buy an old Xbox one but nah that's too outdated and slow and won't be able to play newer games coming out. So as a PS4 and 360 owner I came to the conclusion that unfortunately none of the Xbox consoles are worth buying for me. A case could maybe be made for backwards compatibility of 360 games but noooo, it requires you to connect to the internet and download the entire freaking game in order to play lol. Xbox one games also need to be updated via the internet every time you wanna install a new one or you're screwed. You essentially need a constant internet connection or you can't play the games that you bought and are locked out of playing your own games. You couldn't make it up. Pirates are treated better.

Oh dear, anyway does anyone else see a problem with Microsoft's store, their infrastructure, lack of first party games, constantly having to connect to their servers to play games, rip off prices on games.

It unfortunately makes it not worth buying an Xbox of any kind for me.

That's my rant and that is the unfortunate truth. Make what you want of it. Microsoft are running Xbox into the ground with their sheer greed and incompetence and it's a shame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I have a Series S and gamepass and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You need to wait for sales in Xbox store.

They are very regular. I checked with deku deals and some version of dead rising 3, a game I know nothing about was 15 quid on several occasions. I think it's a version with all the dlc...

Quantum break regularly a tenner ...

Also you can get GamePass ultimate for 3 years for about 120 quid.

Yep, it's all digital. But most new games are just licenses on disk ... you still need to connect to MS or Sony to get the game and any updates.

Unfortunately this is the way it's going. With cloud streaming you may never own a game eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Game pass is excellent. 3 years of mountains of content for ~£80. I don't think I've ever bought any software from the store. CDkeys or Eneba are much cheaper.

Lots of games now can be played via cloud, no need to install.

Xbox rewards, although better in the UK than Ireland, meant I had a £200 discount on my Series X. I've near enough the same accumulated again since purchase.

All in all I'm paying shag all for gaming over the last few years so eh, not seeing your rip off angle at all.

I can agree about the Series S though, going from a One X it would have been a backward step for us.

Yep, check Xbox store, cd keys ... for best prices.

I've used these ... haven't used eneba yet so I can't vouch for them, but they seem fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I consider my SX the second console. I used CDKeys to get cheaper Gold and the upgrade to GPU. I didn't mess about with any VPN's or anything, so paid close to €150 for 30 months which is amazing value. But that's all I'll ever spend on it. I can't see myself putting another cent into it until my sub expires in 2025. All first party MS games will be Day 1 so no need to splash on console specific games.

If a game I want is coming out and it's on both PS5/XSX, I'll get the PS5 version if I really want it. Because DualSense. Even with the GPU deal, it still feels less value than the PS5, because it's just another version of the One really, the One XX if you will. Nothing aside from expected generational power/graphical leaps. Controller is the same, and doesn't even come rechargable, you've to buy your own. No official MS charging dock/battery, you have to rely on an official third party. And, well, the controller is pants tbh. Face buttons are too hard and lots of wasted space. And mine doesn't always recognise pressing the guide button, like it's off centre or something.

It's not worth buying if you mainly play PS or PC and it will literally be gathering dust. But for the money I paid for basically 30 months of gaming, what with the Bethesda and Activision stuff to come yet, including MS own games, I think it will be well worth the purchase by renewal in 2025.

• Advertisement

I agree the controller buttons are hard. I've gotten a 3rd party controller to try to alleviate that. I use rechargeable batteries and MS do provide an official battery pack. But it's well behind the features and comfort of the PS5 controller. However, PS5 controllers seem to break easily based on what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The series X is so awesome, it's the one reason the S is a bit pointless. My X drives a 65" OLED with an awesome external sound system. Gaming nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

The buttons on the 360 controller were perfect. One of the most comfortable controllers I ever used. Only drawback was the dpad was bad.

I'm surprised to hear they messed up with the buttons. All they would have had to do was fix the 360 dpad and you would have had the perfect controller.

I have a 360 and series X and don't find any problem with the buttons or the new controllera. The 360 controller thumbsticks were terrible for developing sloppiness, an actual serious issue that degraded gameplay.

I think most people are perfectly fine with the buttons ... but I definitely find them hard coming from Nintendo Switch pro controller and trying the PS5 controller recently.

So, I wouldn't let that stop you.

Series X is a lovely silent, well designed console. It needs some big AAA exclusives to compete with PS5 ones. But if you like FPS, driving and sports games you are spoiled on Xbox. Plus all the cross platform stuff is there and plays great.

(Edit) same for series s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Yes you're right about the thumbsticks on 360. I just remembered my black controller has that problem where one of the sticks stays in the direction I pushed it and doesn't bounce back to its original position. The elasticity on it is gone so I don't use it anymore.

Hopefully the newer controllers don't end up like that for you guys because I know how annoying that can be.

Maybe I will buy one of the newer Xboxes in the future. I like Gears and Halo games and Starfield looks interesting. Digital only is something I would not like though so it won't be a Series S for me. It's same if I went PS5 there's no way I'd go all digital on that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I thinks it seems its more bout how the OP wants to play games than problems with the series S itself. As most said sales are very good and Ms do as much as possible to give you free stuff in the store with rewards program.

As for the x it's my go to console, it's the best way to play most games and whilst not the same gimmicks as other controllers it does the job and is fairly solid. The battery thing is solved by 101 easy solutions to fit for all types of gamers and they do have first party should you wish to give them more money so its a non issue.

As with the conversation usually it's personal preference. I haven't turned on switch since Jan (got metroid for Christmas) turned on Ps5 to try Stray (meh) and returnal (fine) it's pretty much gonna be xbox til god of war (the only Ps5 exclusive I can think of from the top of my head) comes out then back to xbox. Its just a lot more accessible as a console. Everything is easier and plays better in my eyes.

I think what sways people is not games etc is where their friends play and can see this switching for kids once their parents recognise the return in value if they get their kids a xbox.

I don't understand why there is no cheap external blu ray drive for either of the new consoles to give digital owners access to physical games.

That's because the physical games have stuff written on parts of the disc that normal drives can't position the laser to read. The drives in all xboxes have modified firmware and drivers and are not the same as those in computers or are otherwise generally available.

This is DRM stuff to prevent someone cloning a game disc with s straight bitcopy and then burning an exact copy. A normal drive can't read or write the secret bits and the one in an xbox checks those areas of the disc to make sure the disc is genuine.

Could MS and Sony sell drives with all the DRM stuff in them ?

Edit

Answer to my question: they just want physical media to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

Don't forget 4 free months of GP Ultimate every year with Xbox ambassadors!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

PlayStation controllers have always felt cramped to me and the soft buttons were never a good thing. The xbox controller is the best one I've ever used, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just because you popped the notion into my head, are there any PS-style controllers for Xbox? Google seems to think I want to get a PS4 controller working on an Xbox.

Advertisement