Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

On my doorstep, could I get payment in kind, how many weeks for an ultra chron. What would a retail salesperson make in a job like that I wonder. I suppose commission would make or break the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just wondering what a job as a sales person in hour passion pays. As employers would they consider an older person, an engineer with sales skills for the job.

My sister in law worked in Coach in Kildare village, she did well on commission, but she has Chinese as a second language.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

You might (just might) be able to get a MoonsWatch at retail...

Don't give up the day job is what I'm hearing😀 I still think I could shift watches, EVs, Diving gear and steel tubed bicycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

If you love watches....hour passion is not the place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Try it at amateur level first. Start buying those watches, EVs, diving gear and steel tubed bicycles and sell them on adverts. If that starts making significant profits, you must be good at it and you could turn it into your main job.

Well I've got stock to get started with.

I'm not that serious really, I've been in hour passion once or twice. Its not really my kind of watch shop, compared to Munich or the Avenue de Liberdade in Lisbon.

I did buy a watch with my son in the Canaries, the shop keeper was great, walked out happy young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The cancer has become more than just a trivial annoyance.

The histology has confirmed that the sentinel node is cancerous. We are still trying to get out heads around what it means.

The goalposts haven't shifted but maybe the pitch has gotten a bit bigger is all and we have a little bit further to dribble before we bury a peach of a ball into the net.

She is booked in for CT and Bone scans to be followed up further surgery to at a minimum clear out the remaining armpit lymph nodes but, potentially deal with any other tumour pending scan results.

That will be followed by rounds of radiotherapy and chemotherapy. What was hoped to be a sprint has developed into a marathon.

We will get thru it. She'll be ok. Its hard not to take it personally even though it's herself that's sick and not me, i can only imagine at this point tho, that karma is real and I was Cromwell or Hitler in a past life 😉😂

Just read the below in the IT. Paul Sheeran opening a suite of 6 boutiques!

IWC, Panerai, Cartier, Breitling & JLC. All Richemont brands I wonder if the 6th will be Vacheron Constantin or Lange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wow, he sure has confidence in the market for luxury watches going forward!

I like Tag, Monaco and aquaracer GMT in particular...

But? As a boutique buy, it'd leave me feeling underwhelmed. I know that many in the 40s bracket will have Tag as their 1st watch, association with F1 and football too but I'd want a more weighty horological brand to go in that shop. I mean there's loads of Tag ADs, I really hope (likely in vain) that it is one of Richemont 's big hitters in the 6th slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Hard to see Lange or VC. Their entry point is very high and the market in Ireland is very small.

Would be wonderful if it was though!

It won't/be Tag I think as they are an LVMH brand.

If it's an all Richemont set up? Looking at what their other brands are? Piaget, Montblanc, Roger Dubuis, baume et Mercier and a few others couldn't draw a shopper in the same way as Vacheron or Lange.

I think it's a risky move to open a high-end boutique, but? Dublin is a huge catchment area and there must be a multiple of millions within 2hrs, be it on the island or easily accessible from UK and EU. A lot of bankers are moving to Dublin and when the KIID passports for CoL based funds expire? I'd guess even more will be joining the exodus of bankers to IFSC and Ireland in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

it is Tag based on the article.

sadly.

Bollocks 😕

As in we don't need a Tag boutique, we need the proper high end 😉

Post edited by banie01 on

Sounds like he is opening a tyres kickers paradise. Go in a browse, take up loads of time and then seek those brands at a significant discount online. Its basically a try on service for Chrono24. Thanks Paul your sarcafice is a blessing on us all. Open new premesis for watch brands that even in the height of the boom were easy to get loads of places and still onlt sold in tiny numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

This was mentioned a few times when I was buying in there earlier in the year but was always said as a Tudor boutique which isn’t mentioned now . They don’t currently sell Panerai so strange that they’ve got that ADship with weirs right around the corner .

They can’t get stock in quick enough for the current shop so how they are going to fill 6 shops is anyones guess .Hope they can have some of the more desirable watches and not just a load of tag and Breitling

edit - just re read the article and it says Breitling, JLC , Panerai & IWC will be exclusive to them which means that Weirs are losing those brands ? That’s very surprising.

Doesnt surprise me, Weirs have pissed off so many customers with all their preferred customer **** that I am sure the brands other than Rolex and Patek are super pissed with them too. Weirs are just a Rolex delivery center now. The difference between Weirs and the dozen or so ADs I went into in France is night and day....just the level of honesty and friendliness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The difference between weirs and Sheerans is also night and day . Every time I’ve shopped in weirs I’ve felt like they couldn’t be arsed dealing with me , compared to sheerans where everyone gets treated as their favourite customer as soon as you walk through the door .

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Back in 2001/2002, saw a Rolex Explorer in the window.

Went in, there was a bit of resistance to trying it on and then I said I buy it. Was told, I do not know if I can sell it to you, hold on. Guy disappears and comes back with yes it is for sale!!!

Pissed off and happy in one go

Not at all, I just somehow managed to blank it as an option once I saw that the other brands were all Richemont.

Blinded myself to the bleeding ovvious

I know that the topic of Sony's Wena and its aim of adding smartwatch functionality to any watch has been discussed here a few times. Some of us (Me 😕 it was me) have even hackneyed together franken-straps with a combo of a watch and a smart tracker like mi-band, but this new attempt at adding a lot of functionality whilst keeping the watch as the star?

Well it has some potential IMO, if it delivers on what it's claiming? A handy replacement that would save our clasps from desk dive dings and keep our other wrist free🤔

that looks cool... i wonder will it have a diver extension? be interesting to see compatibility list.... idea is you keep your bracelet and replace the clasp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭traco

Looks slick but I can't see a single piece of company info on the page, no physical address or details, not even a home country.

All that aside I like the concept and it would be interetsing to see a real live unit if it ever becomes a reality. It would suit me as while I wear a smart watch I'm not using it that smartly so HR and steps with whatsapp messages. The nice thing about my dumb smartwatch is I can read a whatsapp but not reply and it doesn't show as read on the phone!! Nice feature for when people are annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭traco

Huawei GT2, got it on a prime deal for 120 I think about two years back. Great battery (7-10 days), good fitness tracking stuff, handy to take a call on when hands are filthy. Message notification and I can read them but seems only one way from phone to watch which I guess is why the mesages don't show as read.

I had fitbit before and this is step up but no apple or samsung job. One thing it has made me realise is that I'm not really a smart watch fan beyond the simple things I use on it. Probably the thing I like most is the vibrating alarm for the morning. Mrs Traco never knows its gone off so I get up and head to gym or work without bothering anyone.

Strap irritates my wrist a bit so ordered a metal one on saturday for it. It gets abuse and it would be either this or a casio digital for daily work hacking.

• Advertisement

I agree with you on the possibility of it being vapour ware. I'm always a fan of looking into the actual company behind the offer.

I did join their email list and if I get any news I'll share it.

I actually found the clasp in a strapmakers Instagram. A Vietnamese strapmaker I've used a few times ZicZac leather has a photo up of the clasp installed 9n a Panerai strap he's made.

Advertisement