Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rubber strake instalation

• 04-08-2022 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Im doing up an old dinghy and nearly finished it now. When I tried putting back the old rubbing strake it was two short on both sides. As you can see from the photo it should go around the stern. The rubber is a bit stretchy but I cannot stretch it enough. From the photo you can see from the bends on the rubber which has a long way to go to get around the corner. Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

If I understand it properly you really just need it to go around the corners as the top of the transom should be OK. A kettle of boiling water to dip the ends into is a great help to make them supple.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

On a hot day like today put a ratchet strap on the ends and try to pull it around over the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

in the end I took off half of the rubbing strake on both sides and heated it with a heat gun on medium heat and that done the job, I heard about hot water but people were putting the whole length of the rubber into it, thats a lot of hot water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

in the end I took off half of the rubbing strake on both sides and heated it with a heat gun on medium heat and that done the job, I heard about hot water but people were putting the whole length of the rubber into it, thats a lot of hot water!!

Advertisement