Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Get planning for it. Once the recession hits, prices can drop and they can proceed. IF the tenders received shortly are madness...

They have zero clue on the cost and 23,000,000,000 is as credible as 100,000,000,000. Even in this banana republic... Many of us here have and continue to pay large amounts of tax. In other countries, this gets you proper health, transport and child care services. They have large military expenditures. I think it's fair to ask, where is the money going in this kip ? Where is fifty percent over the pittance of 36000 euro going?

More lies there. Imagine how much extra development and redevelopment Metro would facilitate. Including using the existing appalling options on offer...

There is a huge difference, one option is highly dependable and segregated and very frequent. The other is a bus for ten km on single lane roads for the most part, with traffic light obsessed planners having lights every 50m. Ended up getting a taxi for E30, happy days !

The dublincoach service from dundrum to airport via redcow was brilliant.typical it's gone too. Anything else is far too much messing about, before you even get to the airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

In anything I have seen, Varadkar has been very supportive of Metrolink (far more than anyone in FF who are more rural/Cork based), there is no reason to think that will change when me becomes Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

He's also a TD in an area that would directly benefit hugely from metrolink. I used to live in his constituency and exchanged some emails about public transport with him and found him on top of things. I think he "gets it" more than many to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not really, his constituents have sunk costs in land rovers. He took steps against dart west because his looper mates operate illegal horse stables in Ashtown.

I'm not sure too many people in D15 drive Land Rovers to be honest. Only a small part of his constituency is what one would consider affluent. There aren't enough votes there to keep him in the Dáil.

Its really hilarious! Look after a handful of voters or what they think is in their best interest. The problem with this approach is, after decades of inaction, the non nimbies eventually become so disillusioned, they stop voting or vote for other parties out of frustration. Ffg wonder why they keep losing support. You cant keep spoofing the same people for decades, deliver nothing and then be surprised when even your original core voters start leaving you...

Talking of varadkar, he has gone so far to the left. He will cancel metrolink and spend the money on welfare increases... its what rte and joe duffy would want...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Except for the very large mistake he made when he told the press that the project could cost 23 billion. In a country like this, that is enough to scupper a project. It is the figure the media are reporting now.

The ones that would vote FG would. These people are elected with a few thousand votes and scrape into power on the 11th count. The majority of their constituents won't feature on their radar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there any way the Gov can put the skids under ABP to get the railway order through in double quick time?

They need it through and qualification to tender out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Considering he is pure evil and loved locking us down as long as he could get away with it you can be sure that snake will cancel it and be smirking while he is doing it.

I really hope if it is built they won't try to continue this 'metrolink' brand at operational phase, please just leave it at 'metro'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I wonder what colour they will assign it on maps. In early public transport plans it was always blue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blue is the obvious next line colour, considering it will be in a system with Luas. Yellow for Lucan Luas if that goes ahead before the world burns.

It should definitely be on a map with DART and luas, maybe have thinner lines for the luas to indicate it's tram routes. It still hasn't been made public what DART 'lines' will operate in 2030. Will we have say a three line system:

- Hazelhatch to GCD

- Greystones to Drogheda with Howth spur

- Spencer Dock to Maynooth/M3

Or some other combination. Operating a three line system would mean an interchange has to be built at Glasnevin regardless of what happens with Metrolink.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Think the sun will have turned into a red giant before that gets built

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are indicative service plans somewhere in the docs for DART+ West. A proportion of the Maynooth/M3 trains are shown as going to Bray; Hazelhatch to Spencer Dock as far as I remember. I'd expect Drogheda-Greystones with some Drogheda-GCD to make up the numbers then?

We'll find out I suppose but getting it right on a map is essential. A proper Dublin rail map has yet to be produced which doesn't inspire confidence. Visitors need to see how they're going to get around at a glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is the latest attempt, it's not terrible TBF - at least it isn't trying to cram all the info into a shape designed to go above the Dart doors:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It's not that bad, but fails to mention stuff like the phoenix park tunnel branch is limited service, something a map like this definitely needs.

Slightly OT: hopefully a similar network map is produced for the bus system once Bus Connects is fully implemented!

PPT and Docklands definitely should have markers for being limited service - Docklands is much more limited than PPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Would love if they could give lines Numbers and Letters.

Maybe G for Green Line, R for red line - so G1 if heading to Broombridge, G2 if Parnell, G3 if Sandyford and G4 if Brides Glen (or something similar)

Not going to happen, primarily due to BusConnects using that format

• Registered Users Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

other than the existing Dart and Luas, they're all relatively limited service lines - they're certainly not high-frequency, turn-up-and-go type services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe use numbers first and letters second for rail/tram services?

I think we can stick with colours for all rail. It's not like we're in any danger of running out of them any time soon ;-)

Thats a fair attempt alright and the development of dart + will probably tidy it up a but more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Ireland not setting the transit map world alight, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The rail map above does clearly state “tram” for the LUAS lines.

Advertisement