Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

• 06-08-2022 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Other than a handful of minor price increases on some food items and petrol/diesel, I'm struggling to see a "crisis". When I am in town, cafes, restaurants, pubs and shops are packed with people. Hot food deli's still have lines out the door and any sign of hot weather, all the yokes load up on booze and disposable BBQ's. Dublin airport is choked with holiday makers.

Since the price fuel went, I have just driven less. Food prices go up, I buy less junk food and/or less frivolous spending. Its not that hard. Overall my costs are not up significantly.

Why are we hearing so much bluster on the news about a crisis exactly? Where is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Standard grocery items can be up to 40% depending on the item. Motor fuel was nearly 2x the price at peak versus a year earlier, despite a substantial duty cut. Electricity and gas are up 40%+ even when on the best plans.

This is a very wealthy country, and the people you see in restaurants etc have the headroom financially to cope with rises - to a point. Not everyone can.

I've barely noticed it, with a quite energy efficient house*, a car I use for leisure only, and a decent income. In Winter I will definitely notice the energy price bits. But that doesn't mean its not hammering those on lower incomes, in more marginal housing.

*which is only so as I've spent five figures on doors, windows, attic insulation, heating upgrades, premium appliances and so on. Not an option when you are broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP. Have you a decent income?

I have, and have made similar adjustments to my lifestyle.

However, I can fully understand that there are an awful lot of people who do not have the headroom ( thanks to L1011) to absorb all the increased costs.

Just because you don’t feel it doesn’t mean there isn’t a crisis.

For every person you see in cafes, pubs, airports etc. there are a multiple of that number invisible to you or me who are feeling pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Still lighting my smokes with €50 cash notes that I light with my gas hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Still not seeing the "crisis"though.

Hasn't there always been a cohort in Ireland who can never seem to afford anything, always struggling etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You do know it affects the low and middle incomes. You sound like you're doing ok... you probably shouldn't gloat about it though.

• Advertisement

Teacher, secure job but good income is debatable. I'm not exactly in the 1% myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Restaurants are full, pubs are at decent capacity, retail shops are doing reasonable for this time of year buy quess what? There are people who work in those restaurants, cafes, shops, the airport who are paying 50+% on their rent and now energy and food prices have gone up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a significantly increased cohort now; and continuing to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

I work with families in poverty and can definitely see how it's impacting them. The jumps in gas/electricity in particular are biting. Many would have prepay meters which are just eating money at this stage.

Fortunately for some with the schools off the cost of fuel isn't as big a concern as in early summer.But it's all the price hikes in foodstuffs and that. When you're on a budget with little or no scope for finding the extra few euro then the crisis is real.

Personally I've been able to just about manage, the cost of fuel for the car would probably be my biggest concern.

If you're a taxi driver (or anyone who drives for a living) you can't just "drive less". And we won't start to see the full impact of electricity and heating costs until November/December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Let me guess, PE teacher?

It's certainly not economics anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

1 out of 10 tbh. 🤤

Yup, troll. Take another 3 months off.

Spend that time jizzing your beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Isn't the fact that you're cutting down on spending the entire point? When you cut your spending as an individual it makes no real difference. When the entire country cuts down on spending, people go out of business and lose their jobs and spending contracts again, and so on. So you get a recession along with increased prices.

That's my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

What an arrogant and idiotic post OP. Fuel costs up 45 euro per week if you have to drive 550km per week minimum to get to work and back, oil costs up 15 euro per week, electricity costs up 20 euro per week. That totals at least €4,160 per year before we even look at the increasing cost of groceries.

Do you have or did you have €4,160 per annum that you weren't using? If you did can I ask where where you putting it? Into a few takeaways?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

The point still stands that people can ease the cost burden by making changes themselves. Walk or cycle more instead of driving 1-2km up the road. Do you really need 2 cars for the household? Get rid of Sky Sports as it's not a necessary. Become more efficient at home when using electricity i.e not leaving the TV on standby, turning off lights in rooms your not using etc etc. Do you really need avocados on toast? Will a tin of beans not suffice? Can you not use the likes of those all in one phone plans for 11.99 per month instead of expensive bill pay plans? There just some examples. It's not rocket science. People just need to become more aware of how they can cut back on expenses.

Why is it arrogant and idiotic?

Lets assume your numbers are correct, then 4160 is only about 80 euro a week? Not exactly astronomical. Just buy less booze and takeaway.

The people who are suffering particularly badly don't have two cars (or often one car), they don't have Sky Sports and they aren't having avocado toast (that's such a tired right wing meme at this stage).

There isn't that margin to save for people who are already in the ****. It might stop you getting that broke if you were middle income before though.

And if you didn't buy booze and takeaways?

Remember that the middle class padding was never these for those on lower incomes.

How would you handle a 4k paycut? Or a 5/6k paycut as it is for people on lower middle incomes, or an 8k cut for those on normal middle incomes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

obviously not a maths teacher anyway

If you're on a decent income, don't have to travel far in a car for work, are single or couple with no dependants and aren't paying a whopping mortgage or rent - well you're about as insulated as it gets.

Speaking from the side of business nearly all of raw material, wholesale products, price of equipment, vehicle running costs, maintenance, electricity, postage, logistical costs, packing materials even the cost to run a website & advertising has gone up in price anywhere from 10-100% in the last year. The only cost increase we haven't seen is rent. Business is good and all the businesses you mention do traditionally good at this time of year but when it comes to winter and costs are set to rise again people won't have the pennies to stretch which is when you may see things suffer.

I'm meeting more and more people lately that is involved in business that are saying x business isn't doing great or y business is to the wall. All these businesses employ people, some small some big. What happens if there is even a 10% downturn in business? bye bye jobs.

There is one business I'm familiar with (same industry) and they have cut staff to bare bones, boss man is giving it till October to pick up & if not they've no money to keep going. Bear in mind this business has been around since before I was born.

Then you'll see your cost of living crisis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Weren't the ASTI not threatening strike action recently because of "significant" increase in living costs and how it was effecting teachers (cause you lot are the only people things seem to effect in the eyes of teaching unions). Same with INTO.

If €80 a week isn't astronomical I'd presume you won't support any strike action for pay increase in the case talks breakdown? Maybe you'll reject any increase in wage because it wouldn't be exactly astronomical anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I earn TWICE what OP earns and am struggling with increases

Its everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That's 80 euro after tax, equivalent to a 5-7 grand pay cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Northernlily

There are definitely increases, that can't be denied. Luckily enough as someone with no kids depending on me I can weather it but I'm VERY empathetic that there are many who can't. Electric, car fuel, groceries have all increased substantially.

I'm probably one of those people out for a food and pint in the pubs of town last night. Make no mistake though, it's there. Everyone is feeling some sort of pinch. Some more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Spoke to 3 business owners in the last week. All are seeing the downturn.

Builders merchants quiet as builders are on short weeks. People can't afford the increased cost of jobs.

Fishermen only doing 1 extended trip a week instead of 2 shorter duration due to fuel costs.

Gardening business with only his backorders to fill to October and no new orders in. He's working to pay wages and bills due to increased costs. There's no profit.

Thankfully I'm cushioned a bit. No mortgage, reduced to 1 car due to working closer to home. Self sufficient for veg year round and fill a freezer with meat once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,593 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Post edited by Tonesjones on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Just tells me that some sectors are overpaid and bloated to the point that ignorance sets in judging op like this.

Maybe an overall correction is needed

Might bring costs down and inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Plenty of people struggling OP including myself. Do you use binoculars to look down on everyone from your ivory tower?

Advertisement