Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Company phone

• 01-06-2022 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

My employer wants to give me his old mobile phone as a work phone. I'm not entirely comfortable with this idea as it was his personal phone as well.

My current personal phone, which I use for work calls, is not up to the standard needed and I am on Gomo, I would change networks but keep my number.

Is it acceptable to give an employee a personal phone? I wouldn't think its unacceptable, I just don't like the idea. If it wasn't good enough for him why is it going to be good enough for me? My phone is crap, I don't want to be getting another crap one.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Sounds kinda strange. I'm not sure what size the company is, but a company contract phone won't break the bank

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In our division, some of the staff said they needed phones. So they got phones for them. Flip phones that work exactly as required. :-D

If the boss's old phone won't suit, say it. If it's just you want something new, then all you can do is ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What difference does it make if it was his personal phone? It will be factory reset and you should get a company sim card. Wanting a new phone isn't really relevant here. If a used phone will suffice for business reasons then that should be enough for you. And if you want a new phone for personal use then you should provide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A company phone is the phone the company gives you, I don't quite get what the OP means by saying they are getting a "personal phone".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

When we all started working from home because of covid, he gave me a desktop to work from. There were a number of personal folders which contained personal files, including a number of pictures of his family. I wasn't at all comfortable with it. I am concerned that the same will happen with the phone. It is not about getting a new phone, its about getting a suitable phone.

• Advertisement

Are you happy moving your phone number to the company or would you rather keep it to yourself?

Suitability is debatable - it is up to them really, it doesn't sound like you get much choice.

If you aren't happy with it, keep your own phone and number separate, stop using it for work and take the other phone with a new number and plan, paid for by the employer.

It should be possible to wipe the phone, or your boss might want to keep it as is with contacts etc. but ultimately it is up to them what tools they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

I'll have to have a word with him. He sent a list of sim only and contract plans today with his preferred option, he was in contact with one of the network providers. I would like to keep my number personal and I would like to keep my right to disconnect. I will leave the work phone at my desk after working hours and insist all personal data is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Use the company phone for company business and keep you own phone for personal use. It's not unusual. Turn off the company phone off when not at work.

He finally gave me the phone today, it had 19,500 personal and work related photos on it. This is what I wanted to avoid.

• Advertisement

I apologise, its actually 19,408 photos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Factory reset the feck out of it. Also in case there may be some trojan lurking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So what? It's a work phone. Use it for work only and leave the work related stuff alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The whole point of a work phone is that you use it 9-5 and then you can turn it off. If you have your own phone for work as well then you can't turn it off. People an still contact you out of hours which a lot of people don't like.

I am not sure what the problem is with the old phone, just reset the phone, stick a SIM into it and move on.

Make sure to update all emails with new number and stop using your personal phone.

In terms of the quality, if the phone can take a call/text and that is what the company want you to do then it is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Factory reset Android phones by going to Settings > System > Reset options > Erase all data (factory reset) > Erase all data. Enter your PIN and confirm by hitting Erase all data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭blackbox

Keep your own number for private use.

Get a new number for the company phone. You can leave a message on your old phone asking people to dial the new number for business matters.

If your boss is not worried about his/her personal data, why should you be?

Personally, I would tell the boss what I am going to do before I reset it just in case he wants to download anything beforehand.

Advertisement