Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo C40

• 06-05-2022 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

Just picked up my C40 this week. This is a stunning looking and performing car. Prior to pulling the trigger on it I have to admit that Volvo wasn't even on my radar. I was interested in both the ev6 and i4 as per the reviews being very good but (as best as I can tell!) there may be a 12month+ lead-in time on these. Talking to some leasing companies in the beginning and was informed that nothing I enquire about is available this year. I widened my net and asked "what is available this year in full electric?" Was told C40 plus there's no wait period as it's in stock to see and drive now. Conscious that this is a completely different car to what I had been looking at, and feeling it's probably foolish to just buy whatever's available, I still arranged a look. As a longtime motorbike driver you learn that nothing you get into on 4 wheels makes you smile the same, and I actually shy away from cars that claim to be performance as it's not the same. However I may have cracked a wry little smile on the test drive. 408hp & all wheel drive combo is quite a step up over the outgoing leaf. PCP. Delighted with it, I'll get a snap up later of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks roadrunner.

Can you outline the model you got and your PCP details if you don't mind.

Currently driving a Volvo and would love a Polestar. But there's no sign of them yet, and the C40 isn't too dissimilar looks-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

C40 ultimate twin in crystal white. Will drop you a DM shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Photos of the polestar are really nice. Heard they may be coming here with some of the features that require additional chips removed, like the led adaptive headlight system on the top models. the lights are one of the standout features for me, even if I haven’t even driven in the dark yet! I did go out and sit in the car to see the ambient lighting 🤣 Looking forward to try them out. Worth looking at a clip on YouTube of someone driving a polestar or Volvo c40 on a dark road to see what I mean. Incredible tech, just hope to god I never have to replace one of the led headlights. polestar has same battery and drive train as the c40, but in a smaller car. Drove in heavy rain today. The drivetrain hooks up. 4wd new to me, but feels like it comes into its own when the conditions get worse.

Issues so far. Rear view mirror seems too dull. Disliking that. Also theres a “kick sensor” to open the boot if your hands are full but it doesn’t work right. You’ll be flapping your leg around like an idiot for 30 seconds without anything happening. Hopefully there’s a software fix for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Anyone have a single motor version yet? Due to take delivery of ours , Ultimate Spec, MY2023 in mid September.

By the way the kick sensor issue was only because I had the key-fob in the same pocket as my phone. Once you separate them the kick sensor works fine.

However I am having a problem with the automatic emergency braking system triggering for no reason and slamming on the brakes while reversing. It's very unpleasant when it happens. Brought the car to them today and was very disappointed to hear that there's nothing they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's the rough pricing on these and how's the boot space for practicalities. Coming from. V60 estate

Thunder Grey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Don’t worry, waving your foot around gets old fast. It didn’t work for me with Volvo XC60 I had for a month … happy motoring and congrats.

No that's fine now, was just because keyfob was in same pocket as phone.

The C40 reversing auto-brake keeps triggering on me when I'm backing the car up for no reason. It happens about once a week now. It's making the car very unpleasant to park or manoeuvre. When it triggers it jolts everyone very hard, makes my daughter cry, she thinks I'm doing it on purpose :( I had the car back to the dealer who tested it and said there's nothing wrong and that it's performing as it should be. They are also not able to reduce the sensitivity of this feature or disable it.

I'm trying to find out through Volvo if there's a software fix for this on the way. If this keeps happening I don't see myself keeping the car. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

The twin motor is €71k. I think the single motor just comes in below the grant threshold. Boot space is decent, but I'm sure you'd be loosing boot space compare to the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Good find, the same thing as me. I'll go through it in detail when I've a chance. Some of them describing injuries after the car brakes suddenly without anything in the way. Both the electric xc40 and c40 affected it seems (they are the same car effectively).

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭GiftGrub100

You can switch this off when reversing on the bottom of the camera screen when the Rear Auto Brake message is up, if not touch the screen and switch it off. The car is seeing something behind that's directly behind the car. We have it on ours and it sees the charger behind and puts the brake on if we are going back too fast.

https://www.volvocars.com/ie/support/manuals/c40-recharge/2021w39/driver-support/cross-traffic-alert/warning-and-auto-brake-when-reversing

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭GusGus

Is there no way of reducing the sensitivity through the on - board computer. The exact same issue I have in the E220 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Picked up a XC60 recharge this week and one of the things the salesman emphasised at pickup was this safety gesture and how to disable it. Guess it’s come up a bit.

My only complaint so far is the charging pad. It doesn’t work on wife’s or my phone, assistants an issue with the latest iPhones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Looks like Volvo had a recall a couple of years ago when the emergency brake did not engage when it was meant to - They may have over compensated when they fixed it.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product_recalls/volvo-car-ireland-limited-recalls-certain-passenger-vehicles-5/

No, it can't be reduced. But the lad I was talking to said that when single pedal driving is on the spread increases. By spread he meant the width of distance that triggers what constitutes an emergency brake. So something it detects, that's not even necessarily even directly behind you will trigger it. So if you are backing in to your driveway or reverse parking just beside other cars it will often be triggered.

For example reversing into my driveway triggers it often enough. This photo was yesterday, it slammed on the brakes here for me. There wasn't anything on the road this time so I got out and looked to see if there was anything directly behind me, like normal, there wasn't. 9 times out of 10 this wont trigger it, so it's just not consistent when the emergency brake is triggered and you just can't trust it.

I removed the left gate off the pillar temporarily to try stop the the car autobraking on reversing into my house. I may have to try remove the other gate too for some extra width and see if that helps. But this happens regularly when reverse parking the car anywhere.

Its seeing the pillars/gate when your reversing, have a hedge with a similar set up to your pillars and switch it off when parking by it or to our charge point which is on a freestanding pole in work, don't find it too much of a hassle

if you are reverse parking where there is no potential target it should not be going off but the day it activates when someone walks behind the car or drivers behind will be worth the

On a side note, had someone attempt to rear end me this morning (thankfully missed) and the seatbelts tightend and pulled me back into the seat, was an experience.

"the day it activates when someone walks behind the car or drivers behind will be worth"

As is, the advice from Volvo is that I should disable it each time, so if there actually was a legitimate reason for it to trigger it would be switched off anyway! The car already has (fantastic!) 360 overhead camera and very effective parking sensors everywhere so backing into something is not a major worry.

"the seatbelts tightend and pulled me back into the seat"

Also I had the seatbelts tighten on me a few times. Once in Connemara when I went over a bump at the crest of a hill. The car came over crest it would have gotten light and I think it actually calculated that there was going to be a heavy bump when the car "landed". An excellent feature that it pulls in the seatbelts, locks you into the seat and pre-prepares you. And another time on sudden breaking when a car ahead stopped suddenly on the motorway, it detected the obstruction, alerted the driver, and tighted the belts. Once Volvo can get it to stop slamming on the bloody brakes on me when I park it... it really will be an incredible car.

I'll post some more examples of the cars position when the auto brake triggers. Though it's designed to stop you from reversing into things, it looks like it's way more likely to be triggered when you reversing with things on either side of you. (I wonder if shadows make it worse too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

That rear 3/4 angle looks very nice in white with the black roof.

I’ve an XC60 and no idea what I’ll replace it with. Might revisit the (X)C40 as don’t really need the extra space. Prices have crept up steadily since we bought it and I dread to think what the fully electric XC60 will be when it arrives. Had a C30 for several years that I loved, wish they’d replaced that with something funky.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭spuddy4711

Shadows causing a difference would tend to point to a camera detection issue triggering intermittent emergency braking, as shadows are unlikely to be picked up by the bumper sensors. You could try fooling the rear view camera, say with a mirror, so your rear view always points to the sky in your driveway.

Don't think it uses the camera as when the camera is wet or dirty it would be unable to see, would think the same system that does the BLIS is also the triggering for the Rear autobrake, with maybe info from the bumper sensors, always avoid parking near walls but will see can replicate in car at some stage.

Thanks.

Here's the combination of factors I think I notice that causes it most often:

1) Reversing in one-pedal mode

2) An object (car, wall, bush, pillar, kerb) a few feet right or left of the rear tyres

3) counter steering to straighten the car up after manoeuvring into position.

(basically parallel parking)

• Advertisement

Any MY23's out in the wild yet? Seeing reports of pixel led lights not being included on the Ultimate spec in other European markets...

Advertisement