Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The road least taken

Options
  • 09-06-2022 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I thought I would start a new log as my old one has served it purpose https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057991515/my-first-marathon-and-first-log-log/p1

Current best recorded times, all 2022

1km 3.39

1ml 5.58

5km 19.42

Parkrun 19.18

10km 43.01

HM 1.31

Marathon 3.18(race)

I'm running with a bit of a sore hip at the moment so taking it easy (effectively maffetoine type running and less days but only till the niggle is gone), this is a recurring niggle that comes and goes even before I started running, sometimes it lasts for a couple of days and sometimes two/three weeks. Usually when I overdo it on the hills (2 weeks ago) or don't wear proper footwear(or drink too much before :-)

My current rotation:

Alphafly - Marathon (tempo)

Vaporfly - 5/10km intervals or tempo parkrun

Speed 2 - daily trainer

Speedgoat 4 - hills/trail(just started this messing)

Current fueling and other run related stuff:

I try to run at least 5 days, 6 is fine with a tempo and intervals in there somewhere. If I am training to a plan I stick pretty rigorously but usually I make it up as I go along depending on feel.

Short runs- no water or fuel.

I take a 250ml soft bottle of water in a waist belt on runs from about 10 mile on.

Don't listen to music or bring a phone if I can help it.

I would take salts, more so in the summer on long runs before or during depending. I sweat buckets, simple.

Fueling is a bit dynamic: during a training block when I have to fit my run in the morning I wouldn't bother with breakfast or gels up to about 13 miles. I reckon the previous evening meal is enough fuel but anything longer I would have a bagel an hour before and a coffee.

I've been using the decathlon gels for a good while so I know they work on long stuff (+20mile) if I need them, especially if I am doing hills/ tempo sections. Only take them on training runs if I know I will have to work hard.

Running in the evening: I usually have a breakfast of porridge/peanut butter/honey and a simple lunch of carbs (bagel with tomatoes maybe). I always try to get some good protein after long runs, chicken, tuna, steak and if I'm really lazy whey.

Registered for:

Dublin mountain 25km

Dublin race series Fingal 10K

Dublin race series half

Dublin Marathon

Donadea

Wish list:

I will apply for the Boston as I was under the 3.20 age group time but likely the 1.28 minute cushion wont be enough for next year.

If not I will plow ahead after Donadea and give the Ultra Trail Snowdonia 100k a a bash next July(depending on the hip)

My main goal for this year is to complete 2000 miles almost injury free as a foundation for next year when I turn 50 :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Nice easy 10 mile, hip ok but IT band a bit sore in the last mile.

Averaging 8.50/mile and 132bpm

Decided to take a week off after the last run as a precaution. The hip was sore but the outside of the knee got quite sore around mile 8. Symptomatic of ITBS. Decided to drop the Dublin mountain race to make sure I can start a Dublin Marathon Block in good shape.

So I spent the week working on the hips and knee at home, foam rolling, band work, stretches and strength exercises.

Went out last night for a 5k to test the knee, 6.48/mile average (more tempo like). This felt Ok.

No run today but some strength and conditioning tonight then maybe a 10K easy(8.00/mile average) tomorrow before I start training proper. Hopefully get some speed up before the fingal 10K

Saturday Morning

10k - 7.30/mile average. I was planning on 8.00/mile but felt better at 7.30. Today this was the speed I could hold form and focus. My left leg was a bit tight in the calf and some very minor hip complaint but overall not bad.

I have a lot of thoughts while running and certainly when I have an injury I spend too much time trying to find the root cause. My hip has been an on off issue for years but the pain on the outside of the knee last week was new. I think there were a few factors.

1. Introduced hills too fast(downhill being the culprit)
    2. New trainers (Did a hard session in a new pair of speedgoats wereas I run mostly in speed 2)
    3. Running too slow, effectively changing cadence and footstrike to run at ultra low heartrate was not clever, Should have started gradually with the slow running. Running faster is not always bad especially as time conditioned natural stride is better for injury prevention
    4. Being old, oooof

Oh, I seen a Red Kite frightening the magpies over my house, beautiful; and a BMW with indicators, didnt even know they came with them.

So day one of the 2022 DCM training in the bag.

Monday 27th - 6 miles at 8.12/mile

Last week I put in an easy 35 miles ranging from 7.30 to 8.33 with a couple of 5k runs with my 13 year old diva daughter.

The first week of Marathon training in the bag, this was an easy week by all accounts. Next week I start putting the hay in the barn (the dreaded hill repeats)

Tuesday - Rest day

Wednesday - 7.8 miles aerobic 7.45/mile

Thursday - 3.11 miles with my daughter 9.10/mile

Friday - 6.1 miles easy 8.12/mile

Saturday - parkrun with the daughter at 8.16/ mile then an easy 4 miles home at 8.20/miles

Sunday - 13 miles easy at 8.10/mile

Sunday was my first longish run since I started to have hip and knee issues. I was a bit apprehensive this morning as the last 10+ mile run resulted in outside knee and hip pain and a week forced break. I hate not running. As luck would have it my knee and hip were fine but my hamstring is feeling tight and felt tight for most of the run. 2/10 niggle but didn't increase. I've been stretching and working on strengthening the hip and knee lately so probably annoyed the hamstring :-(. Its not easy this running lark.

Went past 1000 miles for the year this week so pretty chuffed with that, average pace for the 1003 miles logged on my coros was 8.12/mile which happens to be the prescribed easy pace for the sub 3.10 training block I just started.

In addition to that a few nights out on the Guinness/whiskey I've not been to focused on my diet the last few months . My plan for this block was always to give myself the best chance to complete the training and get to the start line in the best shape possible so next week I will reduce the crap (evening biscuits, chips, takeaways, packets of jellies, chocolate etc) until the end of October and back on it in time for santys birthday

• Advertisement

Sidebar

My current rotation has a new addition, I picked up another pair of Reebok Floatride energy for 53 euro to run my easy days in the hope of stretching the Saucony speed 2 across the training block. With the recession/power cuts coming this winter I'm thinking about the pennies.

My current rotation:

Alphafly - Marathon (tempo)

Vaporfly - 5/10km intervals or tempo parkrun

Speed 2 - session

New easy day trainer - Reebok floatride energy 4 super(cheap)shoe

Monday - the whole block is monday chill. I like Monday

Tuesday - 2 mile easy 8.14/mile: 6 x 250m at 6.15/mile hill repeats with 30s rest then 250m downhill with 90s rest x 6 reps: 2 mile easy 8.00/mile

Was very apprehensive about the Tuesday session with the niggles lately but it went ok, I wore the vaporfys to make it easy on myself.

Wednesday 6 mile easy at 8.12/mile

Next weekend the 17th I have an entry a hometown race - the series 10k in Swords. The Marathon training plan has a 13-15 miles, consisting of:4 mile Warm Up4 x 2 miles at MP with 2-3 minutes rest1-2 mile Warm Down with 7-10 mile easy Sunday. I am leaning towards sacrificing the session for the race and making Sunday a 12 mile easy. Its early in the block so I dont see the any real problems except injury off course. Ive only ever ran one 10k prior at the 2019 series in clondalkin. 49.25. So the lowest of low hanging fruit. I have 43 minute 10k times in 10 mile and half tempo runs from earlier in the year so I reckon 41.xx is in my locker. Kind of excited. These big events are always fizzling with energy and excitment. Another reason for putting myself through an 18 week marathon block, just for the fantastic pre race loitering with all the runners and family.

111 days to DCM.

Thursday - rest or cross scheduled so I decided to try some strength and conditioning. Stretch bands, small weights, sit ups, jumping jacks. I was left sore for 3 days after a 30 minute session. This is one area I am extremely weak in and will return to next week.

Friday - session: 8 miles, consisting of:2 mile Warm Up(8.14/mile), 2 x 2 miles at HMP(6.48/miles) with 3 minutes easy jog in between,2 mile Warm Down(8.00). I enjoyed this.

Saturday - 6.2 miles easy (8.12) a horrible run. This was a late afternoon run but the I fooked up earlier in the day, we went to Howth for a cliff walk followed by a lunch stop at the Summit (mussels and chips with a side order of fried camembert, two cokes) and as I had some evening stuff I decided to run 90 minutes after food. Terrible from mile one, every couple of months I forget how uncomfortable a run can be if I eat rich food within 4 hours of running. Lesson re learned

Sunday - session: 13 miles, consisting of:7-8 miles easy(8.17/mile), 10 x (1 minute at 5k-10k Pace(6.20/mile) , then 1 minute at MP(7.10/mile))2 miles easy(8.00).

This week I will follow the plan till Friday then a small adjustment. I've decided to race the Fingal 10k Sunday at the expense of the weekend sessions shoor why not.

107 days to DCM

TUESDAY 9 miles, 2 mile Warm Up 5 x 1k at 5-10k pace(6.30/mile) with 2 minutes rest between. 5 x 200 at 5k Pace(6.00/mile =too fast) with 30 seconds rest 2 mile Warm Down

WEDNESDAY 5.2 mile Easy Run at 8.12/mile (hilly route)

THURSDAY 7.7 mile Aerobic Run at 7.45/mile

Just starting training and having a down week! I decided last week to race the Fingal 10k so I will take it easy tomorrow and give it socks Sunday morning. At current fitness anything between 40 and 42 minutes will be a challenge. That's the target. Looking forward to taking the Alphaflys out for a spin.

105 days to DCM

Sunday - Fingal 10k - fantastic event- well done to the volunteers and whoever organised this one.

Found some nice shade so didnt mind the 10 minute start delay.

Mile 1 - 6.38/m slightly uphill for the first K and start mellee as expected.

Miles 2 - 6.24/m slight downhill section in the sun. Tried my best to control the pace

Miles 3 - 6.45/m included a water station which slowed me down a bit

Mile 4 - 6.34 right on the buttton for pace

Mile 5 - 6.32/m - this is the one that will haunt me for a week at least - My left hamstring started to feel tight, wasnt sure if it was a cramp treatening or an ongoing niggle going south.

Mile 6 - 6.45/m - the watery lane drag was tough, dead heat around this section but a few spectators and as many angry drivers held up by the race.

last 0.21 mile - 5.45/m Got caught up in the moment and gave it socks. Hamstring really sore just at the end. Hobbled to the car and went home more worried about the hamstring than the 8 minute PB.

The watch had me at 40.50 and the chip 41.05 - Absolutely delighted.

Alphafly still the best shoe in my rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Eight minutes! Got to be happy with that alright. Well done, and hope that hamstring eases up.

Thanks Murph, it was the last of the low hanging fruit. Only ran one 10k prior, in 2019 during the leadup to my first Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB, always a great feeling!

90 days to DCM

Tentative return

The sniper on grassy knoll took a shot at my hamstring during the Fingal 10K, grade 1. This is the third moderate runners injury in so many months, all on my left leg. Hip, IT band (knee) and hamstring. Its the lack of strength and conditioning and bad choices that caused each and every one.

Anyway, took some full rest days and started on recovery this week. 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 mile runs during the week with minimal or no pain in the hamstring.

The next two weeks I will slowly increase distance and effort as long as there is little or no pain. Any reoccurrence and I will take three weeks full rest.

The half I had planned to race on the 5th September is probably overly ambitious but I reckon if this next two weeks goes to plan I can still get to the DCM start line in OK shape to enjoy the day.

Just want to add that I f ing hate strength and conditioning. yuk. But it is now a part of life if I want to run, maybe some day I will enjoy it

Post edited by marathon2022 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just to be devil's advocate here, why do you think strength and conditioning is important? I know lots of runners (one of them very well indeed) who don't do much or any of this. Not saying it's not important, but some seem to get away without doing it, and some runners I know do it to a debilitating extent (it can lead to injury too, perhaps more easily than running itself can, for some people). Just to have the debate. 😉

At the core of this decision is the idea that it certainly cant do any harm. Before the commentry below I just want to point out that although Ive discovered a love for running I only really run for fitness, and before picking up running in my 40s I had not been proper fit since my teens.

Ive been getting injured a lot lately which I mostly put down to increasing volume, intensity and type of running. On top of running roads I have been dabbling with hills, also trying to improve performance over various distances using methods like hill sprints, intervals and fartleks.

Without any scientific justification it just seems like common sense that if I activate core, skeletal and muscle groups with some strenght and conditionig it should help with my overall well being and potentially improve running performance.

There are many great sources of information whether its a trained physio, health professionals or online material from validated sources which are invaluable when trying to understand the vagaries of ones own health and how this might effect running but in the end you know yorself better than anyone, there is no hiding from the id, if you meditate on the hurdle(injurys) with all the information at hand(current training, diet, psycological and physical wellbeing) its certainly possible to see where improvement might come. For me right now I think a little strenght and conditioning might allow me to improve and continue to enjoy the challenge of running.

I would hesitate to offer health advise to anyone but from a personal prospective loosing weight, not drinking, meditating and goal setting have all been a precurser to improvements, they have provided the firm base to running. Im hoping strenght and conditioning will be another foundational activity for when I focus on targets.

My intent is to do 20 odd minutes strenght and contiiong three to four times a week so not going mad

Sorry for the waffle and I reserve the right to change my mind on this opinion later 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It’s a funny one as you can obviously still get injured even if you are very good at doing S&C but it’s impossible to tell if you would get injured more often or worse injuries if you weren’t doing it. In my case, no matter how many times I was told to do it I couldn’t get into the habit. Last year I got injured from building up pace too fast and couldn’t run for a while so finally started doing strength work to amuse myself and it became a habit which I kept up when I got back running. I now go to the gym 4 days a week doing 2 upper body and 2 lower body sessions. Where it became interesting was when I did races and was getting unexpected PBs and felt stronger than ever before and my endurance at pace seems to have increased no end. I have gotten injured still since but each time it’s been from over doing it running wise. I’ve tried to add in some specific prehab work now in the last couple of weeks to prevent my most common injuries reappearing … IT Band and calf stuff.

Deadly, I hope to get into the S&C habit even if it doesnt improve my running/reduce injury as you say its an option for the times I have niggles and cant run which seem to be a part of life now. Any performance bounce would be a nice bonus.

Eventually I want to get into swimming but time constarints with college and work are unlikely to allow such extravogance in the next year or two.

Taking it easy this week

The hamstring is obviously on my mind every run, where I ran through small niggles during sessions before I am over cautious now. Normal enough.

The DCM is an outside bet at this stage.

Monday - nothing

Tue - 8.2 mile at 8.08/m - good

Wed - 5.3 mile at 8.30/m - good

Thu - 8.2 mile at 8.08/m - had a bit of pain after this one

Fri - took it cheesy

Sat - Parkrun - 3 mile at 8.03

Today - no running but a lap of the Spink to brighten the soul.

24.5 miles easy last week

Manages to fit three 15 minute strength and conditioning sessions after running so that's a start

This week I plan on doing 30 miles spread over 5 days. No sessions just easy and maybe hills. Increasing the S&C to 20 minutes and maybe 4 sessions. If All goes to plan I will look to a tempo 5 k some time next. If not so be it.

Pretty much a continuation of last weeks toe dipping after the hamstring. Nothing to compalin about really.This week Im continuing with easy miles apart from one tempo(6.45-7.00 over 5k) maybe Thursday.

Monday 6 miles at 8.10/mile

Tuesday 6 miles at 8.10/mile

Wednesday - took a day

Thursday 8 miles at 8.10/mile

Friday 10 miles at 8.10/mile

Saturday early doors - 3 miles at 7.30/mile

Sunday - watched the sufferfest in Youghal, bolloxed just looking at the Ironman. Animals

• Advertisement

Another easy but satisfying week,

Monday 6.5 miles at 7.40/mile (1 x tempo in here)

Tuesday 8 miles at 8.10/mile

Wednesday - Off day

Thursday - 9.2 miles 2 x 8.05/mile, 3 x 7.10/mile and 4 x 8.10/mile. 3 mile tempo to test the hamstring, not bad

Fri - 6.5 miles at 8.10/mile

Sunday - long runs start again - 13.8 at 8.10/mile which felt fine

This week I took it easy with a planned 10% tempo and the rest easy running. Was feeling great about this till this morning when I felt a sharp twinge in my left calf half way down the stairs for my porridge. The joys. As today was a planned rest(maybe 20 minutes S&C) day I am not worrying myself till I run tomorrow.

The miles kept coming

My first +50 mile week since the week before I caught the covid virus at the end of February. This is a reason to be positive. I'm still apprehensive about putting the foot down so kept it to the easy(80%) and aerobic levels(20% revised Marathon level). As seems to be the new normal I had an electric sharp type niggle in my achilles/calf during Wednesdays run, left leg again so cut the planned 10 mile a tiny bit short.

Plans - Before the hamstring problem I had registered for the half in Ratoat but I'm not in shape to race so not going to bother. This leaves me in a bit of a quandary regarding the DCM. Its 9 weeks out; what can i do in 9 weeks? 7 weeks training with a taper. Common sense would say chill, carry on the recovery and get to the line in good enough shape to enjoy the vibe then move on. As I have a registration for Donadea in the new year it might even work in my favor if I switch priority and then maybe it a flat spring or summer Marathon, overthinking again😀.

Monday - rest day

Tuesday - 10 miles at 8.10 per mile

Wednesday - 9.3 miles at 8.10 per mile

Thursday - rest day

Friday - 2 x 8.20 per mile , 5 x 7.40 per mile, 2 x 8.10 per mile

Saturday - 5 mile at 7.40 per mile

Sunday - 16 miles at 8.13 per mile.

55 miles this week -Steady as she goes, another easy week building up the miles.

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 9.7 miles at 8.11 per mile

Wednesday 11.1 miles at 8.12 per mile

Thursday - rest

Friday - 12 miles - 2 miles at 8.10 per mile/ 5 miles at 7.30 per mile / 5 miles at 8.10 per mile

Sahurday - 4 miles at 8.35 per mile

Sunday - 18 miles at 8.11 per miles

55 miles for the week, nothing in there to write home about, this week I will continue the time on feet increase with a focus on easy.

57 miles last week. Continuing the base building and time on feet(7 hours 45 minutes). The highlight of the week was getting a 20 mile training run in.

Monday - rest day

Tuesday - 10 miles at 7.40 per mile

Wednesday 10 miles at 8.10 per mile

Thursday - rest day

Friday - 12 miles at 8.15 per mile

Saturday - 4 miles at 8.15 per mile

Sunday - 20 miles at 8.15 per mile

Been busy of late, was on a family break last week resulting in sporadic non targeted training the last 14 days.

Monday 12th - unusually for a Monday I didn't rest- easy 4 miles at 8.20 per mile.

Tuesday 13th - 10 miles at 8.00 min per mile

Wednesday 14th - 10 miles at 8.20 per mile (the fatigue really got me)

Thursday 15th - Went to New York with the family, been promising my 13 year old I'd bring her for a few years.

Friday 16th - walking, walking, walking sightseeing

Saturday 17th - managed to sneak a 10 miler around central park + walking. This was lovely, we stayed in Midtown so the park was a mile from the Hotel and its perfect for running. Made me very happy.

Sunday 18th - pushed my luck with another 10 miler around the park, early morning runs followed by pastry and coffee in any city is joy.

19th - the misses warned me no running - vacation (walking and more walking)

20th - more walking , jasus i was bolooxed (averaging 30,000 steps a day)

21st - fly home put on the shoes and tackle a 16 mile at 8.10 per mile, my knee was sore at the tail end of this. I had a large bite of some sort at the back of the knee from holidays so maybe this was a trigger, a bit more angry than the mosquito bites I usually get in Italy, my mind was looking for anything other than running wear and tear injury's to worry about.

22nd - had planned on a 10 miler but my knee was very sore so cut it to 6 miles.

23rd - rest day (flu vaccine as well)

24th - Knee felt ok ish so did a couple of tempo then an easy mile to see if was still borked- seemed alright

Today Sunday 25th - 17.5 miles total; 8 miles at 8.20 per mile followed by 8 at 7.40 per mile and a cool down mile, I purposefully did this on a hilly course, especially the first 8 easy miles to see where I'm at. Was disappointed at how hard this felt as I thought maybe I was further up the road but all in all it was a good solid session with no knee issues. Did feel a slight cramp at the end transition to cool down which is very unusual, actually just got a cramp in my hammer typing this post. My piss was like syrup so possibly need some salts.

This was the session I had planned on making my mind up to run the DCM or not. I have a registration for Donadea which I'm excited about and it looks like a Boston Marathon place as well so if I felt any niggles I was going to step back, get some bits checked and concentrate on a base block. Anyway, as it stands if I don't have any injury's between now and DCM I will do it. Just to stand at the start line among all the other headcases feeling the energy. Lets see.

"Dear Marathon2022

Congratulations! your entry into the 127th Boston Marathon on Monday April 17th, 2023 has been accepted"

Absolutely delighted.

Winter Marathon block here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MooShop

Congrats!! Unreal getting an entry to a major.

I'm stoked, only inside the required time for my age by 1 minute 22 seconds. Now the hard bit, winter training and injury avoidance between now and 🍀April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ooh exciting. Congrats.

• Advertisement

I'm sure my smile will fade when I start training the quads but for now , happy out

Advertisement