Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who’s going to get your dosh? Wills & Inheritance Discussion

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thems the rules that we, as a democracy, have essentially signed up to. Granted everyone might not agree but that democracy for ya.

Have kids myself so not entirely my area but having been involved in administration of an estate recently, whatever about the tax implications at the very least try ensure ya have some kind of a will in place or liquidate and spend everything before you pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

There is no will, our mother passed suddenly of a heart attack. I've no idea what the thinking was when they put his name on it, may have been as a poster said because he was the last to leave. I'm sure he'd have some money but could also mortgage the tax bill if necessary. A bank would have no issue lending a young man with a decent job and record a 100k to acquire a house worth over 600k. It is a bit of a mess, the other siblings feel they should get their share but the youngest has started to move in already.

My advice would be family meeting to discuss further- a legal case, if that what it would take to get your share, will be costly along with the obvious family fallout - it’s doubtful you all get on well given what’s happened and IMHO it was mean of the brother to move back in without explaining himself first- but you/all of you may have to hold your tongue a bit for the time being to avoid any escalation- certainly if he’s only entitled to 1/3rd of the house then I’d be like, “fine, give me my share of what’s left and if you can’t afford to, then we’re selling the house”

Its all down to his rights to the whole property or not- Jammy git if he got the lot but I’d be querying how this came about especially if parents had any type of dementia or were temporality impaired in their decision making -

Which is the stupidest reason to do that- it sounds like he’s well able to earn a crust, he’ll have a tax liability which will be sorted with a small mortgage and he’ll then be rattling around in a 600k house - it’s a daft decision and so selfish and uninformed of the parents - solicitors really need to question more when parents go this route - it leaves such a bad taste for the remaining siblings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The post by olestoepoke has been moved to the legal discussion forum - any further discussion on it take place here.
    Thanks,
    Shesty

• Advertisement
Advertisement