Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who the hell still uses hotmail?

• 31-07-2022 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭

Watching “The man from Toronto” and there’s a line in it “who the hell still uses hotmail”.

I do.

I have it that long it’s my actual name with no numbers or anything else in there.

Much prefer it to gmail.

anyone else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Did you have toast or wheetabix this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭tjhook

Yeah, it can be hard to change email addresses after using one for years. I bet there are still thousands of eircom.net addresses still in use.

Hotmail's owned by Microsoft, and I think I'd trust them more than Google when it comes to privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Office 365 / Hotmail what's the difference. It's all the same these days.

My original MS developer account is still a Hotmail address.

Even through I've used Gmail for years. I've never liked the interface or the meta tagging paradigm. Much prefer folders and a traditional UI. Gmail is fine for light loads, but I think it falls down when traffic gets heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hotmail for all my gambling/food delivery/taxis etc, would feel really weird having an actual discourse using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I placed an ad on daft.ie a few months ago and had 70+ enquiries. I think all bar 1 or 2 were from gmail accounts. Its insane. Email was supposed to be a decentralised system but google have it almost taken over completely. If you use a different service or if you get really extremely adventurous and dare to run your own email server you will run into all sorts of bother with google coming up with all sorts of excuses to flat out reject your emails or put them into the recipient's spam folder. The other day I could not send a simple 2mb zip/tar file to some fella because google didn't like/couldn't analyse the contents

Google also try to insist people use their own proprietary gmail app to access the service so they can show you more ads and they denounce things like IMAP/SMTP as "legacy" while begrudgingly still supporting it if you insist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What's "wheetabix" 😁

I use yahoo

Hotmail is now Outlook I think

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

I use hotmail for my personal email, I have the same address since early 2010's and it's my name with no numbers or symbols so handiest to use by far for what I need it for.

All my business emails are through gmail (g suite with personalised domain names). I can't see why anyone would ever want anything other than gmail, by far the easiest to use email especially for business.

I have a business where I have to communicate with a lot of customers by email, gmail is the only email that doesn't send our initial emails straight to spam folder so it's a joy when I see a customer using one! It's such a problem we now have a message that displays after checkout to say to customers who have hotmail/yahoo/eircom/aol emails etc check your spam folder for order emails before calling us!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I still use hotmail. I have the account since 2005 I think. I don't really like Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No I do not use hotmail but I did have a few eircom.net email addresses that I had to give up once they started charging for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Had a hotmail account back in 1998, I doubt it's still active

• Advertisement

The majority of private emails perhaps. But in my work only a tiny % of business'es and institutions I see use Gmail. Perhaps in other sectors its different.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭17togo

My main account is still Hotmail, I use Gmail for all the annoying stuff I have to sign up to that result in regular promotional type emails. Gmail app and interface I find really annoying but the outlook app is also brutal and stupidly slow on a laptop too. But when I add my Hotmail account to the email app that comes with my phone it works fine, for some reason. My laptop is a chromebook though... 🤔

I have had a few "is Hotmail still active" comments over the years! Maybe I'm officially a 'boomer'?! 🙄

Absolutely loads of businesses use gmail. Even boards uses it and a lot of them are paying for the privilege

Hard to get unbiased stats on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

I keep mine active by logging in every so often but don't use them for anything anymore, same for my yahoo.ie address as i like my email addresses with both. Just browsed my old contacts which I never carried over to gmail, yikes, wonder where those people are today!

They all either rode off into the sunset or are married with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I got locked out of mine in March 2013 and I don't recognise the recovery they display because they asterisked most of the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Still have my old hotmail email (even with password of the name of the girl I had the hots for when I was in 1st year. That feels weird to type...) But it's all outlook now so doesn't feel all that special.

My big loss was my yahoo email going extinct along with all the emails I had kept on it :(

I had a rocketmail account, which was taken over by hotmail. Later switched to gmail, but when I lived in China, hotmail was accessible.

Have found it hard to switch back to gmail tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had a Hotmail account that was my first and last name with no numbers or characters but eventually closed it when msn messenger got shut down.

Moved to Gmail then but like others, I hate the Gmail Web app interface and prefer folders to tags so I use it through the Outlook desktop app instead.

I also have outlook accounts but I have them as an alias to my Gmail accounts. I have my primary email address, then a few secondaries for online shopping/spam/sign ins etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

They really shouldn’t have retired MSN Messenger. They would have owned that market today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Me.

Funny enough recently when I have given my email address to a couple of folk over the phone, I got the reply along the lines of, "not many people still have Hotmail. Com email addresses".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

Still use my hotmail account for most stuff. I’ve had it since 1999. We did have gmail at work and I also have my own gmail that I use on some occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've had my hotmail email address since 2009 and I still use it, I only have a Gmail account because of my phone but I never use it

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I've had the same Hotmail since 2009. It is interesting to look at old emails, for example I was able to download a few old e-tickets from events a decade ago and look at all my old flight details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I use it for my spam. For registering for stuff. I remember in my previous job, some workmates using their work account to register for stuff. Their mailbox was a horror-show (We were using Lotus Notes at the time and they had to purge their mailboxes almost weekly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Prefer Gmail but my email address isn't professional enough to put on my cv so keep my Hotmail one just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have hotmail...whats the problem?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hotmail account since 1999. Its open in a browser window all the time along with Gmail. Didn't manage to get my own name though, even in 1999 my name was taken and there were at least 10 variations of it in use.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement