Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adjusting hinges on French doors

• 18-07-2022 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a French patio door that have dropped in the frame, they were hitting bottom of frame when I was trying to close them but I have managed to fix that by adjusting an Allen key at the bottom of hinge to raise both doors,

now is the handle , when I pull it up to engage the locking mechanism it’s very hard to pull up, it’s pretty much been always like this since I’ve had the doors!

any solution to this ? Is there some way of adjusting the hinges to make locking door easier to pull handle up?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭newfy

i just realised this is posted on the wrong thread, can any moderator move this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You won't get any useful answers here. Try posting in the correct forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hold my beer ...😎

Had the same two issues and fixed the first one. Handle was hard to pull up. After some investigation realised the door was not plumb, it was leaning forward slightly. Adjusted that and made sure it was level (I'm not telling granny how to suck eggs but 'plumb' and 'level' are different things) as well and everything is working fine,

We’re you able to plumb it by adjusting the hinges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mine was in a wooden frame so was able to adjust by releasing the fixing screws. But I think there is a small adjustment that can be made on the hinge. Throw a level on it and see if that is the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Suprised nobody has turned up to blame the Shinners.

Strictly speaking this is actually a current affairs issue because french doors tend to cause problems in hot weather like we have now.

Here’s my experience OP.

Got French doors a few years ago- they never did well in hot weather. Reason was they weren’t fitted properly. They’re upvc and the base of the frame is actually surprisingly flexible. So in hot weather, if not fitted properly the base will expand causing issues like not opening or closing properly.

Eventually got someone to sort the issue by properly reinforcing the base- absolutely no issues this year. You’ll be at a loss adjusting the hinges as you rightly point out, then the locking mechanism is affected. And don’t get me started on the alarm sensor after adjusting that!!!😁

Anyway that’s my story- a strong reinforced base fitting will sort everything.

PS- if it’s not that, then it’s the Shinners fault

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I actually need to know if the OP got this sorted out now

Yeah me too- after all the trouble I went to posting my story

Grateful for you answer but I havnt sorted it yet,,,,the base of door dosnt hit the base of frame anymore opening and closing as I raised the door in the hinges , but I havnt got around to the handle yet as it’s very hard still to pull up when the door is closed to lock it!

if no luck I’ll get someone to look at it , thanks for help

• Advertisement

There’s a few videos on french door adjustments on YouTube but unless you know what you’re doing, I’d try and get the windows guys back out if you can. But essentially this shouldn’t be happening except for maybe a slight adjustment over time, you shouldn’t need to go near the settings as you’ve found, one adjustment leads to two-three other adjustments.

If it’s an old door of many years then it probably just needs a tinkering here and there but if a recent job I’d be worried as essentially the doors moved off their settings which in my case was due to a faulty installation now fixed.

Best of luck

Advertisement