Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie throttling

• 11-07-2022 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anybody else noticed 48.ie potentially throttling? I was getting between 80 mb/s and 150 mb/s last time I checked with upload speeds of maybe 30mb/s. The speed is now lucky to get to 10 mb/s, they did send out generic emails last week slot misuse of sims but it seemed to be more directed at exploiting their free mins making fraud calls. Just checking if anybody else having issues? I'll switch my phone SIM and router sim to see if it's the router use can be identified or if it's certain accounts have been throttled. Could be the end of the €7.99 a month internet!

Edit: swapped phone and router sims, slow speed definitely due to router rather than specific SIM

Post edited by mp3ireland2 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I used an older SIM router (d-link dwr-921) and now getting spend of 25mb/s down and 10mb/s up which is a lot better than the tp-link archer mr600. Even though normally the latter would give speeds of up to 100mb/s down and and 30 mb/s up. I'll monitor things and see. It's either linked to IMEI/Mac, that model identifed as not being a phone, or maybe just a bad firmware update and nothing to do with 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

Yes definitely. It's not just the 7.99 Sims they're throttling either.i paid the 12.99 and just checking today, like yourself used to get usable speeds but now even out and about it's averaging 5 to 6 mbs . Shrinkflation again. But seriously that's not good.

And it's late Sunday night, not peak time.

Hopefully it will increase but I don't want to stay up all night . If I'm awake , will report on speeds later.

Yeah they definitely blacklist routers I think, maybe via Mac address. As when I put phone SIM in router it gets same low speeds. Looking at getting an Asus router than get tether from a phone via USB. Use an old phone then for that and leave plugged into router all the time

• Advertisement

have been checking at different times , different 'hotspots' , and lately have not got more than 17mbps. previously it was up to well over 40 at times and certain places. only using a phone as i dont have a dongle or router. but one of the phones, an asus max pro something or other, drops out signal altogether so maybe that is down to the firmware

I saw somebody used a raspberry pi with openwrt installed to tether from their phone... Might give this a go. If tethering him my phone isn't slowed. When I last checked by older router still getting into the 20's but I was normally getting over 100 with new router, now never gets above 10. I'll update when back from holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gabos06

I've noticed that my 48 only connects to low band 4g now (bands 20, 28) on masts that don't transmit n78 5g. My local mast only has n3 5g and I only get bands 20 and 28 when transmitting data. The phone will use bands 1, 3 when idle but when data is transmitted it drops to band 28 right away. I've had the sim since about this time last year and it only started doing this now. Used to get 4g speeds easily into the 200mbps range when I still had access to the higher bands. Now it's between 50-100mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yep my speeds are gone very slow in the last few days. I'm using a sim in a TP Link router. I'm also getting the H symbol on my phone intermittently.

Is anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

How are speeds these days? I plan on using 48 in my mobile router - as 40 euros a month seems to be the cheapest mobile broadband plan.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure as I moved too the three hero SIM plan for my broadband. It has 5G and unlimited data for €15 a month. I've had no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Can I ask, what speeds are you getting and router?

Gomo seems to have started throttling no, get less than 5mb/s download at the moment.

I get up to 130 mb/s download on my 48 sim (4g) but typically about 30-50 mb/s. On the 5G three sim I get up to 250 mb/s or 350 when i bought up to attic to test it out. Typially 100-150 though. Toyed with getting an antenne to up it but it's actually fast enough for anything i need and worried I'll invest in 5G aerial and then three will put a stop to using sims in a router. The 5G routers are pricey! I got this for £250. This is the 4g one i have, which i don't use anymore. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-MR600-Unlocked-Configuration-required/dp/B07S7DMY3H/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1BU2IKLTCC2EI&keywords=4g+sim+router&qid=1679149549&sprefix=4g+sim+router%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-19

Does 48 enforce the 250GB limit - does anyone know?

Yes. I have that plan on my phone but missed it for my broadband. Need to pick up a 5g modem too - they seem very expensive new.

I'm quite sure they will, I thought it was 200 GB? I had the 100GB limit on my router sim with them and had to switch the sim every 3 weeks or so. I had two of the 7.99 plan sims so was costing me about 16 every 6 weeks. Easier now with 15 a month and get 5G and unlimited. Yeah 5G routers are crazy expensive. Was a risk buying one if three every stop letting me use a mobile sim in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Unlimited 5G for €15? I'm not seeing that on the Three site. Unless I'm missing something? Or that offer is gone maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Advertisement