Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ned's History of Irish Cycling ITV4

• 05-07-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

"Ned Boulting delves into the history of Irish road cycling.

Ep.1 tonight ITV4 at 8.00pm

I don't know if this is new or not.

Might be worth a gander.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I enjoyed that. Pity not more on Shay O'Hanlon. 3 Rás wins overall, and in yellow from stage 1 to finish each time. He would surely have won in Europe too (as a pro). A total gentleman and still going strong. Unsung hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I don’t have ITV 4 on Sky.

it use to be available through other channels section but that is no available on Sky Q box.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that was a pain in the arse. set it to record (on virgin); hit play on it about a quarter of an hour after it ended, 'we're sorry, for copyright reasons this service is not available in your location'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's a pity SKY have now disabled it. It was always crappy they buried it on a sub menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How far into it did you watch?

I got that on VM but it was a spillover from the earlier TDF coverage. Skipped about 60 seconds in and it played the documentary.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, you're kidding me? we deleted the recording assuming it was for the documentary about irish cycling.

Fraid not :(

Possibly your VM box set to start recording 1 minute before the programme, I think that's the default setting.

Hopefully it'll be repeated and someone might bump the thread if spotted in the listings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It is. It's just harder to find. It's in setting and manual tuning. It's a pita to navigate and slower than it was on the old box

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Anyway....

A decent program and great to see some old faces from races through the years. Nicely done programme.

• Advertisement

Hmm ironic this is an ITV production.

Would be great if an Irish station did something like Top 10 moments in Irish Cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

To be honest, I'd prefer the better production standards and achieve footage from ITV and it really doesn't matter to me who produces it once the content is of interest. ITV also ensures a bigger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Some of the roads in the film looked great, the scenery spectacular

And how nice Sean Kellys house by the sea in Galway ?

Kudos for ITV4 and to the eagle eyed listings scanners for the headsup.

Being greedy, I was hoping for more archive footage, especially of Kelly in the 80s classics or Nico's Vuelta for Saxo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Honestly I would’ve loved if it was twice the length. Thought it was a decent programme, but a bit light touch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was very light considering some of the stories in Irish Cycling but many wouldn't talk to him if he pushed the truth too much. A lovely show and great advert for Irish Cycling, the amount of riders who'll be taking training trips to Carrick as opposed to Spain next season will be interesting.

TV listings a bit unreliable this far out but I see this down for a repeat - lunchtime Monday 18th July on ITV4 (must be a rest day!).

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Plenty of foreign cyclists call into the bike shop in Carrick, every summer, who like to cycle the roads Kelly (and Bennett) trained on!

Spaniards, especially!

I've been on a few via Audax in the past, lovely part of the world

On again now ITV 4

EDIT: The shop shown briefly with all the Elliot memorabilia is Quay Cycles in Drogheda.

• Advertisement

It's a shame Duffs in Bray was bought out. Great spot, no music and cycling gear everywhere. Alas it was bought by one of the local big business families. Music, waiting staff who ask are you okay every two minutes, no cycling memorabilia. Ned would have undoubtedly visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

This auto recorded on my box (presumably series linked to the TDF highlights).

watched it the other evening. Great and very enjoyable watch. Agree, shame it wasn’t longer.

pity he didn’t sit down for chats with Dan, Early or Kimmage.

by the way, any of you old timers remember a lad called Denis Brennan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I remember Denis Brennan very well.

Why do you ask?

He’s my dads first cousin. Only met him a few times. Apparently he was up there with Kelly etc back in the day and was destined for good things but as I understand it, he may have been leading the RAS or something big enough when a nun reversed her car out onto the road taking him out and leaving him with such bad injuries that left him unable to continue at the highest levels.

now that might not be the entire truth because my old man is a damn good story teller and you know what they say about not letting the truth get in the way of a good story 😂

A quick Google found this. Kinda obvious to see where the crash came along

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

His daughter competed in the Olympics in mountain bike or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

100% It was my second favourite pub in Bray growing up. And I wasn't even interested in Cycling when I was a nipper. Ken was a gent.

Yes. I thought the way the Documentary basically started and finished in Bray that he might have featured.

good read about him here. I don’t think the stories my dad was telling were far off the mark

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-10099242.html

Advertisement