Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

• 26-07-2022 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Do people think the sentence is fair? I followed the case. I think it is about right. Probably on the lower end of a sexual assault case but i do think a custodial sentence was required.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The lad will probably serve 9 months. It's a strange one though. I don't think it should ever have gotten to court but at the same time he was convicted. I think 8 months is pretty low for a sexual conviction. There ye have it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

In my view the sentence was harsh. They had engaged in consensual sexual activity the night before, he was trying to get things going again. He stopped as soon as she told him to. He called around the next day when he realised she was upset. I would not have thought that these are the actions of a sex offender. The judge confirmed that he was previously of good character. When you see in the news the same day that a Garda gets just 3 years for physically and mentally abusing his partner for 2 1/2 years and hear about repeat offenders for all sorts of crimes regularly getting off, a 15 month custodial sentence seems harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This just shows the importance of consent. Discussing consent is really important. If this guy was told about Discussing consent ans d the consequences of wrongly assuming consent, then neither she nor he would be in their current situations.

If he didnt mean to harm her It's a tragedy. Be both harmed someone he didn't intend to harm and has to pay the consequences. And still the usual posters will oppose any kind of reasonable discussion of consent as part of sex education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Very harsh sentence in my opinion - would've been less had he killed her with his car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

She woke up in the morning, told him no, he accepted. She went back to sleep and he dropped her home that night. She couldn’t have felt that unsafe.

She agreed to go back to his gaff, they had consensual sexual activity. Now she gets to ruin this guys life and remain anonymous the entire time? A joke. Poor fella.

This can happen to any man at any time and it’s wrong. There was a young chap that lived in the apartment just across from me in college. He was fairly vocal about fancying this youngone that lived down the corridor and at any sessions he’d ask her for a kiss etc. she agreed one night and agreed to “ride him once”. A few days later she filed a rape claim. Plenty people were in the apartment that night and saw everything and if it wasn’t for them he’d have been in very serious trouble. The poor lad was totally innocent and despite charges being dropped, he had the tag of being a rapist for a long time after. He changed college because of it.

"Hey, are you awake?"

4 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Can't belive this went to court...guys reputation is ruined...he started she said no so he stopped..is there more to it then this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I honestly think it's very harsh.

They had already had consensual sexual relations before she fell asleep in his bed. Not like she was a platonic guest sleeping in the spare room.

I've certainly experienced similar and at no point did I consider it an assault. If I felt the guy was getting abit too carried away and I wasn't in the mood I got up and got dressed, called a taxi and went home.

She was a friend of a friend of his, the story always felt like an American revenge film.

I'm glad I'm not a single man right now tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

He did get on top of her and touch her breasts while she was asleep. Im not sure if you missed that part of the original story. He himself also admitted guilt. Harsh end result all the same ruined career/life. But an incredibly idiotic act during a 1night stand.

It was the fact that he started while she was asleep. Thats the kicker really and the most pertinent fact with regard to the actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Wasn’t there already a thread on this some months back?

There was but it said it was closed. The sentencing was out today so it adds to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

There was definitely a thread on this previously.....i commented that there would be alot of men sweating around the country based on the facts of this case....if this is sexual assault......we have alot of sexual deviants in this country....

A year after the incident, she decided that she was assaulted....

Going forward you will have to get a signed and written consensual sex agreement before getting down to business....maybe have a solicitor there to witness it aswell just in case....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

You reckon people get up on sleeping women regularly?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shouldn’t have tried anything while she was sleeping then. It’s very, very basic.

And before any idiot starts, the trust built up through months and years of conversations within a couple is completely different to two people who met up randomly one night.

Zero surprise that some people believe men can just do whatever they want though.

Or Mr Toast , ive a fairly far out idea but try stick with me. Dont hop on top of women and feel them up when they are asleep. Or yeah go with the solicitor letter haha

Exactly!

but no, that’s too much of a turn off or whatever sh*t excuse the usual suspects have for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Groping your one-night stand while they sleep to try and entice them into more is not OK, but this case does seem extremely peculiar with the details and timelines involved.

15 months is a huge sentence for the context of the incident, there's people who commit actual violent sexual assaults (not to mention non-sexual assaults and even manslaughter) that get less time.

I also think the victim impact statement seems very at odds with the actual incident.

It strikes me as an odd case and I personally think there's something much more to it behind the scenes regarding the victim and the accused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

There’s a big difference between excusing his behaviour and thinking that 15 months imprisonment is very harsh.

As others have pointed out, the comparison with the Garda who carried on a reign of terror against his ex for years and who was sentenced today to 3 1/2 years is pretty stark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The same sentence as going off to join ISIS with the intention of bring terror and death to innocent people. No problems at all with the justice system here…

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Not if he deliberately killed her with his car. He admitted to deliberately getting on top of her and feeling her up while she was asleep. It's really uncomplicated, and not something that any man with half a brain should worry about - just wake her up first and ask her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Link dump, nice. Any opinion yourself, OP?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Again our justice system fails

That Garda’s sentence was way too lenient, I agree.

Doesn’t mean this sentence is harsh. He climbed on top of her and put his hands where they shouldn’t have been while she was sleeping. If you’re going to do that then you need to suck it up and accept the consequences.

Stupid, stupid man, and I would really question anybody who feels sorry for him because he worked in a field where the issue of consent has been brought up countless times and he still did it. You’d want to be a stupid dope to knowingly do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

There has to be more to this, and how did it take her 12 months to make a complaint

Does it ****. Nobody has any right to do what he did.

Stupid fool. Imagine climbing on top of someone, grabbing their tits all while they are sleeping and thinking you’ll get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Comer1

I don't think that climate change will destroy the human race, it will the fear of engaging in any type of sexual activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement