Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good guy with a gun shoots bad guy in Indiana

• 18-07-2022 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Only four people killed in a shopping Mall in Indiana. A bad guy with a gun started shooting and three people were killed. Up pops a good guy with a gun and takes him out.

Gun nuts are ecstatic. "See. Told you. Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun" to paraphrase.

Read the full story here (Witness to Indiana mall shooting praised for killing gunman (yahoo.com))

I have only one question: why are there so many bad guys in America? This sort of thing seems to happen all the time, whether there's a good guy with a gun around or not. And as we saw at Uvalde, the good guys with guns are often not too keen to charge into their certain deaths when there's a bad guy about.

Why so many? What's WRONG with that place?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"only four people"

Well that settles it, nothing wrong with guns. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Never understood why so many Irish people are so obsessed with American gun culture. They obviously don't want to fix the gun violence issue so leave them to it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

But 400 good guys is too much seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

because most irish people arent callous assholes.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It might be because so many of us have family and friends living there.

They obviously don't want to fix the gun violence issue so leave them to it.

feeling or showing no sympathy for others HARD-HEARTEDcallous indifference to suffering (Merriam-Webster, 2b)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

But they don't want to fix it. The democrats might make some sort of noise now and again claiming they want to fix it but they actually don't. They are so ultimately in bed with arms companies and manufacturers, the same ones who make the guns wholesale for the American market who in turn sell multi-million shipments of weaponry to totalitarian kips such as Saudi Arabia who bomb the $hit out of countries in the depths of a absolute total Hellscape famine. Totalitarian kips such as Saudi Arabia where only last weekend President Biden was fistbumping and begging the murdering head of the brutal regime there. Why the F**k should I or anyone here in Ireland care how that thick, ignorant and hypocritical nation manages its affairs or culture? It is a basket case.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

This doesn't repudiate that it results in callousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Why so many? What's WRONG with that place?

I have made this point before, but it does seem to me that the argument that there's something inherent in the American way of life that produces an inordinate number of people with some predisposition towards mass shootings, which is often put forward as a defence of gun rights, is actually a very strong argument against gun rights.

I mean, surely the very people most likely to go on a mass shooting spree are the ones who need access to guns removed.

In the same way that a person with a predisposition to arson has their access to fire-making materials removed, or a person with suicidal tendencies has access to dangerous items removed.

Yeah America, the most callous nation on the face of the entire Earth. Why should I care? I may as well care about the welfare of some other psychotic mass murdering piece of trash too while I'm at it.

What is your case? "America is great and morally infallible" Because its not, and you know it yourself

No that wasn't it. Juuust the callousness aspect of it.

Fair enough. I'll take being labelled as 'callous' all day everyday, as opposed to rightly being labelled a hypocritical psychotic gaslighting mass murdering piece of trash who any sane person would run 5 thousand miles away from.

It shouldn't worry you. I was just perplexed some tried to deny it was callous. It is, with reasons to be.

Well state your reasons then. Because you haven't given any whatsoever. Give me the reasons I should care how America runs it affairs, because I've given you plenty of legitimate ones why an Irish person like me doesn't have to care at all. Refute them.

I never said you should; I think you are over-analyzing my contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The news media only reports a tiny number of shootings in USA. Consequently, they are anecdotal and sensational, and such cases tell us little about the problem that may have exited since the nation’s founding.

This is a complex problem. More than likely in need of a complex solution. Doubt there are simple answers or a cliche silver bullet to solve it. Excuse my attempt at humor.

Labeling Americans as this or that, along with the USA culture, does not suggest a solution. Furthermore, such labeling may overlook the cultural, regional, ideological, and complex demographic diversity between people residing there.

Closer to home, I suspect there are considerable differences between the residents of Dublin and Galway, both historically and today. And if we compare the the Republic with Northern Ireland, and toss in the troubles, I have heard many misleading attempts by various folks across the pond to label the Irish with a simple this or that.

To confound the simple labeling of USA further, toss in the historic immigration of millions of Irish to America. And as a side note, not many of the 200 or so countries of the world celebrate Paddy’s Day with so much national exuberance as they do every year America.

There have been several scholarly studies of this problem in USA, but unfortunately lack the wisdom to harness the will to effectively implement change.

Well, you are the one trying to label and analyze me and people like me as callous for not overtly caring about a dysfunctional, lying, hypocritical, mass murdering, failed system that doesn't even care about itself.

Now I know for a fact you are overanalyzing. I was replying to @EOQRTL.

Yeah and I agree with that poster 100%, so you can reply to me too. But for some reason, you won't? So, go on and explain, why exactly should we care?

For what reason would I? Again you are overanalyzing what I'm saying here far too much, to the point you're trying to put words in my mouth.

You called me CALLOUS Overheal. You said that. You are the one trying to put labels and words onto and into peoples mouths, not me. So own what you said and explain exactly what you said, that's all I'm asking. What's with your ridiculous merry-go-round where you won't own up to what you said? You called out my "callousness" so go on, call it out this dastardly "callousness" exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭BigRighysteria

I've owned a couple of firearms for over a decade now and none of them have ever loaded themselves doddled into town and killed people.

Nobody really wants to solve the problem as to why these young men with their whole lives ahead of them go out and kill en masse.

When a mass shooting happens the Democrats can use it as a brush to beat the republicans with and the Republicans can use it to fire up their voterbase by saying the commie Dems want to take your guns.

It's a country that never gets out of election mode and when your in the business of elections the only thing that matters to you are votes.

I didn't deny agreeing that it was callousness.

But, then you wound yourself up assuming that I was at all trying to tell you 'no you really need to give a **** about the dumpster fire America'

But I wasn't. And I keep telling you you're over analysing but then you seemingly kept at it. You inserted subtext where I hadn't put any.

I chimed in on a simple point of semantics by posting the 2b definition of Callous from Merriam-Webster. I even reiterated that to you:

No that wasn't it. Juuust the callousness aspect of it.

Just to clear my position up for you: Nothing wrong with being callous and even apathetic about the gun epidemic in the USA, it's warranted given the state of things and the state of US Politic. It is nonetheless objectively callous.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Christ this thread is painful already.

It's absolutely callous to not give a **** about so many people being killed in a manner like this.

If you don't care, that's absolutely fine. You do you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has anyone actually tried the 'see? a good guy with a gun...' line with this yet?

it'd be like being three nil down and then scoring a goal before the final whistle, and claiming you won the match because you were the last team to score.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement