Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There'll be some kind of Resi-related announcement tomorrow morning. DLC for RE8, or maybe even the RE4 remake announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'd love to be wrong but I can't see it being anything significant. We are about to go into a fairly hectic game release period so anything they announce would be quickly buried.

Yeah, you're probably right. So long as it's not Raccoon City themed NFTs.

I see people assuming its the RE4 reveal, just because of that recent leak. It very well might be but I don't see them revealing anything big when some massive games are on the verge of release for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems it was just a website update with another update on the 22nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So the new resi show is out on Netflix today and getting .... good reviews. I'm still highly sceptical but will give it a watch later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

I had a quick check of the Resident Evil subreddit and it looks to be uniformly hated(apart from Lance Reddick).

It smacks of being a show that was struggling to be made until they were able to slap the RE brand on it.

I think I'm over the fact that I'll ever get a show/film that just follows the first 2 games and does them justice. I'd settle for a decent zombie survivor story.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I could hardly believe it when I saw The Guardian gave it 4-stars.

As someone said above, I've given up on them making a faithful RE game which is bonkers given how simple the premise is, but I'd settle for a solid, decent zombie production.

Welcome to Raccoon City was actually far more faithful than all those Anderson movies, but just...wasn't good.

Just watched the first ep and have to say, i enjoyed that. Do not go in expecting RE, don't question their lore decisions and you might enjoy it too no idea what they're doing with Wesker bit Reddick is captivating no matter what his role. He has a particularly great scene that made me forget my reservations about this new Wesker.

• Advertisement

I have watched 3 episodes and I think it is OK, even though it is a massive departure, in some ways it is more faithful to the RE series than any of the adaptations. If you set your expectations accordingly there is some fun to be had here,

Episode 3 spolier:

Oh and they actually went to the effort of finally putting giant spiders in it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I only watched the first episode but I enjoyed it. As others have said, it's a definite departure from the source material, but also with enough details and references to keep RE fans engaged at the start anyway. Considering they're doing movies for Netflix that are more based on the original games, I'm enjoying this as a bit of a standalone departure.

Besides, Lance Reddick is always great.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭OrangeLavender

Late to the party with this but just finished and I really liked the Netflix show! I admit I had low expectations going in because of bad reviews but it was paced well and I liked most of the performances solid B for me and kept me entertained. I'm half annoyed I liked it so much because I would like to see a second season but not sure it will get renewed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Not sure if posted elsewhere, but the Netflix series has been cancelled after one season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was awful.

The first episode was OK but after that it descended into a terrible teen drama comedy. I have a hard time understanding why they don't just get someone like Blumhouse to make a proper low-cost, semi-faithful adaptation.

It doesn't matter that it's a game. The core story for the first game or two are perfect to be adapted to a horror movie/show for mainstream. There is zero need for all this absolute tenuous drivel having the Resident Evil name slapped on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but there's a DLC for Resident Evil: Village coming out soon.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

More info on the Winters DLC, various ports, and the news that RE(make)4 is coming to PS4. There'll be a Resi Showcase next month too.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I haven't seen the series, but I'm a bit dishevelled with RE media outside of the games.

The first Mila movie was enjoyably passable, and while I didn't mind the 2nd or 3rd, you could tell that with newfound budget came liberties. Suddenly, it was an OTT action fest linked to RE only through character names and references to key moments, wracked with slow-mo and nonsense. It's like bottling what RE4 did to the core of the franchise and then ramping it up to eleventeen-quintillion while spreading it thinner than butter. I do like RE4, and I have no issue with RE flexing its action-chops, but I do pine for some classic horror RE.

Ironically, despite my criticism, I had a great time with RE6 - which is the closest the games got to the movies I'm talking about. Not a great Resident Evil, but a fun shooter - especially if you're into Mercenaries.

I still fondly look back on the 2x former world record scores I ground out with a friend. It may look like simply going around punching zombies, but there's so much nuance and small details an untrained eye won't see when it comes to pushing for giga mercs scores in RE6. The amount of spawn control, amount of chances your CDG combos have of being ruined, the amount lost by a single mistake in a 10min match (like one dynamite zombie being killed by accident, or not being killed properly), needing to get all 300 kills, every timer, try to melee the sub-bosses, knowing where to go (and when), etc. Had an absolute blast with it.

(Friends POV. I'm the Leon being eaten by dogs on the other side of the map).

Truthfully, my favourite Mercs is still RE5 - another of the franchise with a few controversies and complaints.

Sadly, despite being a huge RE fan, I couldn't (and still can't) afford to buy new games, so I missed out on RE8, and probably won't have my issues resolved before RE4-R. Funny looking back on my YouTube channel and seeing just how huge the old RE4 videos are. Like it or not, I suspect it's going to pop off when the Remake comes around.

EDIT: I see RE8's getting mercs. Noice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭brady12

after finishing resi evil 2,3 remakes and 4 ( on vr) lately i'm tempted play code veronica next but how playable is it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's fine but it's definitely the weakest of the old school Resi games. Resi 1 and 2 are waaaaay better. Without the sheen of fancy Dreamcast graphics it's kind of shown to be quite weak now and I remember a late stage puzzle being obnoxious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's quite heavily dated. It has the old tank controls and fixed camera angles without any of Resi 3's innovations or, indeed any of its own. The story doesn't really affect the franchise as a whole either aside from being Wesker's first appearance as he's seen in Resi 4 & 5.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭brady12

Thanks people . Might just leave it for now . Must play Evil within 2 before I play ghostwire tokyo so I will park resi evil for awhile .

How were you going to play it? I don't think it was ever remade or remastered.

If you like Resi, I wouldn't be put off. Just expect it to be a bit clunky.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a PS360 port on MT Framework that neve came to PC. Could be backwards compatible and come to PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Code veronica is on sale on ps store now https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/games/resident-evil-code-veronica-x/ for 6 euro.

The PS3/360 version is available on PS Now streaming, and there is a barebones port that runs natively on PS4. Funnily enough I think the PS3 version runs at a higher resolution that the PS4 version, but that may not be for the best with this particular game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wrapped up RE2 and now I'm onto RE3 Remake. It does look amazing with ray tracing on.

I'd heard bad reports about it so was hesitant to play it but really enjoying it. Although they killed off any creepy zombie elements again by having the big guy chase you similar to how they lost it in RE2 when Mr X shows up. But this time it opens with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did really enjoy RE3 Remake, but it does lose a bit of tension due to more focus on combat with more weapons and ammo, and new enemy types. It also only has one playthrough.

Advertisement