Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Vomino for a home phone

• 28-05-2022 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

I've been with Vomino for a couple of years now and the service has generally been satisfactory, but it's all gone to crap recently.

Any recommendations for a service provider for a single home connection, incoming and outgoing calls, that plays nicely with a FRITZ!box 7590 router/DECT setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

I have two providers, one for outgoing and the other for incoming, on my 7590.

In fact I have a third one provided by my present broadband provider giving free geo/landline calls

Also I have a couple of free VOIP accounts used for calls to and from other VOIP accounts.

Received calls are directed to one or two phone connections, as suits my use.

freevoipdeal.com is what I use for outgoing. I have used this for many years and have had no problems.

I have my family phone number ported to goldfish.ie for incoming calls but there are probably a couple of cheaper options.

goldfish also do outgoing, but my existing freevoipdeal is cheaper, particularly for mobile calls.

I set up dialling rules in the 7590 to handle different calls using different accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Melodeon

That's great info, thanks!

The number in question is our very old longstanding home landline, used almost exclusively by our elderly parents, and the number is their main/only point of contact for all their similarly elderly relatives and friends. So, the whole setup needs to be utterly transparent and behave like an ordinary old-fashioned PSTN line for local and national calls.

I'll check out the goldfish option and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

I'm in the same situation, been with vomino for years but no service at all for the last 3 weeks. They say they have a major outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Our Vomino 'service' has been out since at least 20th May, 2 weeks at this stage, hence my quest for a reliable provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 alanwexford

I was praising Vomino upto this outage, their customer service is obviously over whelmed.

I got a reply today "We still testing new fix to our recent outage before confirming service restoration date.

Fully testing on our side to make sure that everything is working as expected can take 1 or 2days.

If the service not restored by tomorrow, you can look for another provider."

They also provided me with my UAN number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

Like OP, I'm looking into moving a single domestic line from PSTN to voip.

Needs to be very simple, nothing fancy, very low traffic in and out, emailing of any incoming voicemails would be a great plus ( in fact lets call it essential ).

Would move an existing long standing domestic number as part of the move so would want to use a provider that can be expected to continue trading in the long term.

Plan would be to use Zoiper app on handset

Looks like Goldfish would be 5/per month 'rental' and then calls but cant figure out how 'pay as you go' for calls work - anyone use them and know ?

Looking at Vomino, - seems their site does not support HTTPS, am I'm doing something wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I have my landline number ported to irishvoip.com. €24.60 a year to receive calls & you can also buy credit for outbound calls if required. I've the account details set up on a fritzbox, fritzfon & mobile to receive calls & use FreeVoipDeal & others for outbound calls, depending on whether its to mobile, international or landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I have been with Vomino for many years. Besides a few gremlins in their system I was always happy.

They suffered a major technical meltdown some months ago and have not recovered since. I was offered a refund yesterday and asked to look for a different provider. Or I can wait until the system might be up and running again. They cannot give a specific date- it would be at least a month until all their problems are solved.

They keep telling me that for the last 12 weeks. I think they are gone for good.

Any advice on an alternative provider? Vomino charged us Euro 99.99 per year and we could make as many calls as we wanted to umpteen countries.

Who else offers such a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Might be worth looking at www.zadarma.com

They were mentioned by someone else here 2 years ago, I have been using them for 2 business numbers, excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Did a transition year student build that website 15 years ago? It certainly wouln't fill me with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

A matter of taste I suppose; it struck me as refreshingly clear, free of autoplaying videos and other clutter, and easy to load.

I'm a bit of a minimalist, but more importantly one of those who live in rural areas, with accordingly lower internet speeds, at the same time as comms being more essential. (Nothing personal - it's a bit of a hobby-horse!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Just out of curiousity, has Vomino managed to get their service back up and working again yet?

Not unless a lot's happened in the last couple of weeks.

In June, their replies to my queries started suggesting looking for another provider (giving my UAN), but I just waited (too much other stuff to do). On Sept. 20th Telemetel informed me they'd cancelled my monthly DD (without any request from me), which seemed a bit of a sign! On the same day I decided on another provider and contacted them - much simpler to choose than I'd expected. (All went smoothly, and yesterday the new service was up and running).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mouse17

Similar for us. Telemetel saying they'd cancelled a DD, we enquired, they said they're going out of business and gave UAN.

I notice they're still advertising for new customers though, so asked if we couldn't port our number from them to them since we've been with them from the start (back in the €10/yr days) and we're happy to stay loyal. They said no, despite what their website says, they're going out of business and we must now go elsewhere.

We're also a family that needs simple - both work form home as well as domestic/family line needs (inc checking in on relatives for safety), BUT I also have a brain injury, so any packet we go for needs to be clear and easy to understand if I'm here on my own some day in the middle of a brain fog (bonus points for customer service by voice which is disability accessible, rather than digital only). Hence we liked their €14.99/mt and unlimited calling ...well, it was either that, or sufficient included minutes we weren't going over, even at upwards of an hour on the 'phone outbound (international) a day on average (one or more calls depending on the day).

Think we're down to about 4 choices of companies now. What amazes me is only one company so far mentions anything about 'If you were a Vomino customer, we can sort you...' It's a strong sign for that competitor certainly. Just can't tell if a good one or a bad one?

What's everyone else going with at this point?

It depends on individual needs, but mine are a bit similar to.yours, and I went with Voiptel (AKA homephone.ie). It only took me a few minutes to home in on them a few months ago as the best fit in my case (still interested in non-business customers, good for calls with the UK where all our relatives are, etc). Our transition went smoothly, and we've been up and running problem-free for a month so far (not even any resets needed), and with clearer sound.. I had a few queries along the way and they were answered promptly (not that Vomino didn't respond as fast as their resources allowed). I'm paying €15 a month instead of €10, but then that €10 had stayed the same for at least the 8 years that I know of.

Voiptel pointed out that we could save a bit by re-using our Vomino boxes, but I chose to go with a new Voiptel one (in my case it felt worth the modest investment to update from 10-year-old technology).

I'm still getting Vomino's email updates, 5 weeks after they stopped taking my DDs without being prompted (guess they just have more serious things to attend to), and they themselves are recommending Voiptel (and the two firms are co-operating to make the switch as quick as possible)

Post edited by Fogmatic on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mouse17

Thanks for that @Fogmatic, that's really helpful.

We've started the process to switch to homephone.ie/Voiptel as it seems the best for voice/human led support over the most hours, as well as being the only option who appear to be able to cope with us being business and home usage. Fingers crossed they prove to be as good as Vomino were for more than 10 years. I'm not often one for brand loyalty, but I will miss them overall.

I left Vomino. Got a refund for the unused months.

I signed up to this service: FreeVoipDeal | Your favorite Voip provider

No problems- it does all what Vomino did for us- for a much lower price! I recommend it!

I went for the Dutch VOIP company as stated in my above post. It worked fine.

Unfortunately our phone line was hit by lighting 3 weeks ago. It fried the old modem. We got a new one- a F2000 from Eir.

Since we have the new modem, we cannot use the VOIP service anymore. For one reason or the other I was unable to set up the thing again.

We have a Grandstream HT802 phone adapter. It would not give me the IP address for setting the system up again. All it tells me is "0.0.0.0.0"via the voice activation. The F2000 does not recognize the adapter. Can anyone tell me how to set the F2000 up? Eir does not give me any help- a guy on its tec line told me to "get an electrician in".

I solved the problem. I ditched the Grandstream- it had probably become faulty as well when the lighting hit the phone cable. The F2000 is just perfect for the Dutch phone service as well without that little box. All I had to do was making some adjustments- and everything was working nicely again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Regarding Vomino, they shut down on 31 Dec 2022 according to their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭pms7

Advertisement