Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Essential workers to be prioritised in emergency fuel rationing plan

• 14-07-2022 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭

Under the Government plan, if there is severe disruption, some 130 “designated critical service stations” would remain open to provide fuel only to essential workers.

Essential workers would be able to get fuel not only for their official vehicles but also for other vehicles needed to get to and from work, a source said.

Sources have said technical checks are now under way on pumps to determine if a limit on sales to non-essential workers of 15 to 20 litres could also be put in place, with suggestions that gardaí or soldiers will also have to man the petrol stations in the event of disputes.

Wild they'd even dream of it getting that bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Lol back to the Garda sorry Army at the ATM's sorry pumps. No full list either. Td's I assume will be on it. And their wife or husband in the constituency office. Irish gov never put thought into anything like this unless their pretty sure it will happen.

Edit.

Just to add what law will they be using to Enforce this ? Would be a civil matter you putting in more petrol. Army cant touch you. Garda cant Arrest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,113 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose you have to have some sort of a plan. Some analyst said last week that oil could fall below $65 a barrel by year end with the potential global recession on the horizon.

I don't see a problem with petrol but I do see the natural gas supply we have as being completely unsustainable when depending on the Russians* and people having to go without with rolling blackouts from September/October onwards.

*We might not be directly getting pipe to pipe Russian gas but those giving us gas are taking it so we will get less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No way we have anything close to the numbers of Gardai to be actively providing a security service to petrol stations..

About 1500 petrol stations in the country I’m reading..just over 14,000 Gardai…

law would be emergency legislation.

what would they be convicted of … ? Theft is my guess. Any business can control what stock they sell… and how much of it to whom… I presume with technology now a pump can limit the fuel output per client ? So that may not be an issue, just programme it to only dispense XX litres per visit…

my local Circle K is from memory 6am to 10pm… so 16 hours of operation… 5 stations around the 2-3 kilometer radius… would leaving a solo Garda there be safe ? With potential conflict ?

a pub can refuse a potential client service, why should a petrol station not be of a similar ability…

also plenty of other businesses limit the number of goods and services..

one example is Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

All true but once you have pumped you pay for what you owe. If you refuse that is stealing. Modern pumps may have a setting to curtail the amount pumped in one use. Either that or put staff on the pumps to fill for you. Added to your expense. Again army and Garda cant touch you as you will be fine with paying. And pointed out Garda vs amount of stations. Even with the army would be a stretch and the army have no jurisdiction in criminal matters. My feeling is people have had enough due to covid restrictions and will not put up with rules that are not enforceable if you are able to pump yourself. Imagine removing all Garda to goto petrol stations and leave all other crime and protection duties. Mr Ryan will be livid also with the Garda unable to police Smoky coal burning in the country. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Of those 1500, only 130 would continue to be stocked. So once the other 1370 run out, it's game over for them until rationing ends.

Such rationing as envisioned in this worst case scenario would test and stress the State well beyond what COVID did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's unlikely that there'll be a shortage of diesel and petrol ... It might be expensive ( might not ) but it'll most probably be available ..

Gas though? Who knows ... We produce some in mayo .. you'd hope that we reduce consumption a bit ... I assume moneypoint and tarbert will be flat out - other than that hope for a steadily windy winter ..

I better go buy a pallet of wood for the stove .... Just because ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Similar to the oil crisis in the 70s so, except they know what stations they are going to keep open and stocked if the worst happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

In the 40s there was a time when only doctors and priests could get fuel but eventually that went away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Can't see massive problems with fuel tbh but then again you never know. Gas will be a massive issue though and as we rely on it here for heating and cooking iv'e been making preparations at home chopping wood and stockpiling coal over the last while. Honestly think i lot of people are oblivious to what will happen when they can't just flick a switch for heating or cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

With the ban on selling turf passed, Eamonn Ryan should tackle stockpiling of fossil fuels next :)

Maybe we should buy some extra jumpers now before everyone does…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gas is necessary for refining. If European gas markets become stressed, gas intensive industry will be curtailed, which includes oil refining as it will then become a choice between heating European homes or economic activity.

Here, thankfully we do have corrib gas so some supply will continue if the import pipes get turned off. When corrib was approved, it was security of gas supply that was seen by the government of the time as the main goal (over tax revenue). One can't be sure what really motivated those politicians but in today's world it is fortuitous that we have it. It was one of the few strategic decisions by government that one can point to.

Should gas rationing come to pass, it's worth remembering that Eamonn Ryan and the greens generally opposed the Corrib development.

Advertisement