Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build apartment MF ceiling mechanical creaking

• 23-01-2022 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a new build apartment which, at point of sale, I was assured would be relatively quiet as dwellings are decoupled through metal resilient bars. Its a timber frame, 3 story building and my apartment is situated in the middle. The floor / ceiling construction used is Cellecta ScreedBoard E-FT-5.

There is also a party, load-bearing wall running through the apartment, but as far as I can see this has all been sealed off.

The issue: We’re getting woken up and disturbed by very loud metal mechanical creaking noises when the neighbour is walking above.

The issue is appearing in two different rooms, in the bedroom and in the bathroom, which are on the opposite sides of the apartment to each other. The remaining 3 rooms in the apartment don’t have this issue, and the creaking noise can barley be heard from the other rooms when doors are shut.

On my side of the E-FT-5 construction is a MF suspended ceiling and I believe the noise is coming from within the ceiling. It could be coming down the walls but it’s impossible to pinpoint without opening up. I don’t believe the creaks are coming from further up the construction (I.e. the neighbours subfloor, 1. The neighbour cannot hear any creaking noises from their side, and 2. The mechanical noise seems to be too loud to be coming from any further up)

The noises only appear when there’s pressure applied to the structure from the neighbour above from walking and not when pressure is applied from my side I.e. pushing up on the ceilings. I’ve already had 13 holes cut into the ceiling previously throughout the apartment as some hangers had lost their thread within the MF ceiling. It was hoped this would fix the creaking noises but it did not. The MF ceiling has obviously been poorly installed, but I wouldn’t expect any less from a new build construction.

I’ve managed to get a camera up into the MF ceiling from the ceiling vents to capture a images to the post, I can post more if I can get any direction as to what I should be looking for. My question to you is if anyone has ever experienced this issue from a consumer side or installation side ? Or if any MF ceiling experts have any ideas what could be causing such a noise within the ceiling?

I am still fighting my case with the builder which has been running for over a year, but I’m thinking of biting the bullet and getting this fixed under my own cost due to the inconvenience of the issue. The only problem is that I have no idea where to start…

I have videos of the noises but I’m not able to post them here. If anybody has any ideas it would be a great help. Many thanks

Comments

Advertisement