Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog along east coast/Dublin 10/07/2022

• 10-07-2022 8:02pm

Hi all,

Would anyone know the meteorological reason for the heavy fog that occured this afternoon along the coast of Dublin.

Came in around 1pm, very think fog, seemed to be coming in from the sea. Did not have any smoke like smell or anything like that.

The wind seemed to onshore, and it was a really warm day so I'm guessing the land temperature was higher than the sea temp. That should rule out advection fog.

Any ideas from the more seasoned meteorologists on here?

Comments

Hmmmm I'm no expert! Could totally be wrong.

But if the wind was onshore and the sea temp was lower than the land, would that not make advection unlikely in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Could see it rolling in over Donabate Beach. Lucky we live inland a small bit so was just affecting us slightly but was guessing anyone visiting the beach must have been cursing their decision. Saw some pics on Twitter then and looked cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's just the warm moist air cooling over the relatively cold sea. This visible satellite animation of the whole day today shows the local circulations nicely.

That's a really good animation, thanks for sharing!

It looks in that animation like the fog or the air carrying the fog originates over there Irish sea before drifting west to the Irish coast in the early afternoon. Could the warm moist air have originated over the sea and cooled as it moved to a part of the sea near with colder surface temperature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A bit delayed on my response to this thread that I had intended. Time and time again when the wind direction is SE here ushering in a warm airmass, locations close by me are exposed to advection fog for reasons noted by GL. What happened on Sunday was nothing unusual at all.

Here's some photos I've gotten of examples of advection fog in the past two years.

Fog clearing Poolbeg Station on 14th May 2022. This was taken when it was clearing as I got to the location an hour after being in Sutton where the fog was also visible and covering the sea. This is why the fog looks pretty light here.

Fog surrounding Howth on 25th August 2021. This was a notable period for outbreaks of fog with several days of advection fog at one point or another. 7th September was the thickest of them all when Ireland had a notably warm September day.

Sea fog covering the view of Howth and Burrow Beach from Baldoyle Bay on 28th February 2021. Dublin Airport a bit further inland had its sunniest February day on record.

Last ones, a brief advection fog outbreak at Skerries on 15 June 2020. It was covering my line of sight when it got too thick so was of no use to capture a pic, you would just see grey everywhere.

I remember when this sea fog outbreak on 22 July 2014 was the big buzz of the day. Everybody was freaking out like you swore advection fog never happened before. https://www.dailyedge.ie/fog-in-dublin-sea-mist-1584615-Jul2014/

Advertisement