Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing brake pads

Options
  • 06-07-2022 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭

So the front pads on my disk brake bike are worn in that the front wheel doesn't stop efficiently. The back brake has a lot more stopping power. Is it advisable to change both front and back at the same time or would I get away with changing the front only and get more life out of the back pads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd just change to front. Are you sure it's the pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it could be contamination if it's just stopping power you're using to diagnose it - but it should be relatively easy to see how much meat there is on the pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

What magicbastarder said.

Other issues it might be

Is it cable or hydraulic? If it's cable, check for excess movement at the brake lever, cable might need to be adjusted. If it's hydraulic it may need to be bled.

However, the first and easiest thing to check is the brake pads

Cheers folks. Its mechanical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you see the pads?

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if there worn. If not you reckon it could be contamination?

could be contamination, or depending on how the brakes are set up, possibly just needs tension adjusted on the cable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

More than likely the pads if it's very significant and there are no other issues. Change them, from the guy who didn't and took a flyer through a rear window because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

These need to be adjusted at the caliper to account for pad wear. If this isn't done, lever travel will be excessive well before the pads are completely worn. I think Park Tools have a video showing how the different types are adjusted. (I have the kind with single moving piston, adjusted by moving the caliper body, & fixed 'piston' which can be screwed in or out.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Worth trying to clean the disc as well before changing pads.

Brake cleaner spray and a clean scotchbrite will remove a lot of contaminants. Some like oil might need several attempts.

Basically keep cleaning until a paper towel wiped over with brake cleaner comes away clean.

Pads can be sprayed as well.

Advertisement