Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mossie

There's a major outage around here, all card payment terminals and some ATM. Not just imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Up and down all evening here, down for 5 mins at a time. Happened about 6 7 times now (went down while I was typing this). Comes back up by itself but its 20-40Mbit instead of the usual 100+.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Tbh, Imagine are brilliant at the start if you in early on the base. But they keep selling and over subscribe and contention goes through the roofing the evenings. Of course they won't tell you this and just send out technicians who will tell you the truth. I couldn't take the problems anymore especially working from home so as soon a SL came available I jumped ship. It is costing me a lot more per month and original setup but for me it was worth it.

Luckily (or more likely unluckily for me) most of the area is on the Eir rural FTTH. It ended less than 1km down the road so there's a lot less people likely to be on this mast. It seems to be back up to full speed now, it stayed connected past 10pm or so last night. They must've been doing some stuff to the network.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine are likely losing customers nationwide due to FTTH becoming available in more and more rural locations and of course Starlink for those who can afford it. It will only be a matter of time before they won't have many customers left on their wireless service as the NBI expands it's coverage and Eir are still rolling out FTTH.

I see Imagine is now listed as a FTTH service provider on the OpenEir website so they must be planning to start reselling Eir's FTTH. They can't peddle this wireless tech forever.

• Advertisement

I've been with them almost 3 years and it's only in the last couple of months there has been a noticeable drop in speeds. My evening time speeds are now down to around 20 -30 mbps compared to 80+ mbps only a few weeks ago. There are also noticeable drop outs at times which only happened once before and that necessitated moving the receiver. Starlink are too expensive for me so will just have to wait for NBI sometime in the next 24 months.

Modem losing connection to the mast on and off again tonight, happening for anyone else?

Cutting out all day again...

Extremely slow here since yesterday

2 or 3 Mb down 5 up

Even the tune in radio app is struggling

I may ring them

Anyone having issues this evening. Mine is completely down for the last hour

• Advertisement

I plugged out the modem for a minute

Speed back to normal when I plugged it back in 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The sales team have been in contact again with me, hard sell will be on again now.

This thread has always made me reluctant to sign up!

I've unplugged mine several times but nothing doing. I only have the first 2 lights on modem. I'm beginning to think it's an issue at my end as they usually text if they're aware of any issues.

Yes, first 2. Don't know how it could have gone off centre, no wind or anything over last few days.

Every time my mast is down this happens, antenna hasn't moved. It was off center for the first year I had it, installed pointing at the wrong mast. Went from 1 bar to 4 -_-

Mine cut out for 5 mins last night, and cut out for most of the day last Friday again. Same thing where only the power and sys lights were on. Not sure if their mast backhaul is having issues or what - happening to my neighbor as well.

High Trees in full bloom in your line of sight ?

I had considered this but it's been pointing the same way for the last 12 months with no issue. I was on to them now and they said my router hasn't connected to Imagine for 87 days which is strange as it's been working all that time. I did get it put into bridge mode around then but he said that shouldn't be the issue. Anyway I've got to call them back later when I get home to reset the router so we'll see what happens then.

When I got home I called them again and was told there had been a fault on the high site and restarting the router got me back online.

Down again this morning. Fairly frustrating to be honest.

Edit: sill down as if now (7pm), going to have to take time off work again tomorrow and hope I get it sorted this time.

Post edited by mossie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

I am with Imagine for 4 years now. I have been on two different masts. The key to success is the distance to the mast and of course number of customers on it.

Currently in optimal distance to a mast and I am getting off-peak blips to 200mbit/s with quite a constant 150mbit/s. Peak time is degrading with every month past since the mast went up about 2 years ago. I don't really care about peak time that much as long as I get 15-20mbit during that time when on off chance I want to watch Netflix during that time. ATM I am just about getting it. 15 on a bad day 25-30 usually.

On my first mast, from which I was just too far, it was a nightmare (first 2 years). I basically accepted that all I can do is browse the internet and not so reliably... but I waited it out (no real alternatives) and after two years when they transferred me to the new mast I am very happy with the service although it is degrading month by month as described above. If it degrades much past the current point I will be back to the unhappy territory at which point, if it ever comes to be, I will move to Starlink (pending confirmation of a few technical aspects I am wondering about).

Finally got back online yesterday. Apparently a combination of a fault on the high site and a failed firmware upgrade on my router caused the issue.

Yeah, this is pretty much my position at the moment, good speeds off peak poor speeds at peak times just about good enough for Netflix etc. Fine for 2 years and gradual decrease over last 6 months. Starlink too expensive to justify for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

Service very poor here in North Cork over the last two days. Drops frequently, very noticeable on Zoom calls. Generally if slow in the evenings is not a big issue for me but dropping during the day puts me in a dire situation with WFH.

Also in North Cork. Haven't been at home during the day but evening speeds are very poor for me at them moment.

Sent them an email with ping results, it shows frequent drops.

I'm still waiting for replies to 3 emails sent over the last several weeks. You'd be better off phoning them.

Imagine is pretty much unusable here now in the evenings and at weekends. Back to buffering on streaming services after 2.5 years of decent service. Two weeks ago I was promised a call back after the technician referred my issue to second line support but, of course, no such call has been received and emails are never answered Unfortunately, I have no other option than Imagine as NBI is at least 24 months in the future for me. Very frustrating feeling with this.

I got an email last week from them after a few days of dire service. Service went back to normal the same day the email arrived, usual speel in email "all looks good when we remoted in'. Like yourself mossie have it nearly 3 years now so I know when it's poor as I work from home. Evenings can be hit or miss but if Streaming is poor we just revert to the SKY 'live' channels. If you perform a ping - t 8.8.8.8 from a laptop in the evening are you seeing slow responses and drops?

I actually got a call from them this evening. Basically they have me an excuse about more people working from home etc but the slow speeds have really only started in the last two months and only in evenings so I don't see that as a real explanation. He did tell me that at 1045 last night there were 60 users online on my cell. I don't know if that's excessive or not but I think it's probably down to overloading the mast more than just more people at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They are overselling like crazy.

My location is due to be covered by NBI next spring (Jan-March) and despite having told everyone 6 months ago that the node was full and no new people could join , now that NBI is moved to "Network build in Progress" all of a sudden they are back to those same people offering big discounts if they sign up to an 18 month contract...

Advertisement