Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do touts still hang around outside venues?

• 21-06-2022 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

As a few of you know I'm a founder and admin of toutless.com which we setup back in 2008 to help fans sell tickets to each other at face value. Back in the day it was not uncommon to have touts hang outside venues and buy low and sell high and the idea of Toutless was to cut out that middleman.

Since then things have changed quite a bit. Tickets are on their way to going entirely digital, so is money somewhat. We've had a pandemic that shut down events for near 2 years and we've also seen legislation brought in to make it illegal to tout (except apparently if your name is Ticketmaster).

I've only been at a few small gigs in Whelan's and the NCH since the post pandemic return and I didn't see any touts but it's questionable if they would have attracted touts even in the past so I am curious if any of the above changes in the landscape have removed the "on the ground" touts.

Has anyone seen the lads outside shouting "anyone / buying or selling tickets?". Are they still there but more subtle? If they're still around how do they handle the digital ticket messing?

As a bonus question do people still assume if they needed to go to a sold out show if they threw enough money at the problem they'd be assured they'd get in?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

I’ve gone to a few gigs of different sizes this year and not seen any touts at most. I saw some outside the Olympia for one gig but that was it.

Personally I wouldn’t buy from a tout. I’ve seen too many people get scammed into buying fakes over the last few years. Some touts get the tickets printed and sent out to them, then resell digitally on Ticketmaster.

They keep the paper copies, sell them on again and can at least double their money by selling the same tickets twice. The paper tickets won’t work though so those people are out loads of cash and left gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not gigs per se but there were touts outside the Aviva and the RDS for the Heineken Cup semi final and URC final. Not sure why they bothered, neither game was sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

There were some outside the train station before the Killers concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been at quite a lot of shows since everything started opening back up and have still seen them at some venues alright. Specifically the Three Arena (just as you get off the Luas) and Vicar Street for some reason - they really seem to love those venues.

Saying that, there are still a tiny amount of them, you're talking about maybe 3-4 maximum. Nothing when compared to how many there were at venues back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm sure there were a few outside Billie Eilish in the 3Arena, which I suppose was not surprising, given her popularity, but strange, given that they were all phone tickets.

I didn't see any at either of the St. Anne's Park shows I was at, or at Phoebe Bridgers last night in Fairview Park, but the latter was exclusively phone tickets as well, so little scope for them there.

I did witness a moment where one of them - possibly on his way to Vicar Street to hang around outside the Mitski gig - saw the considerable queue for Lucy Dacus at the Olympia and asked who was on, clearly worried that he had missed a trick, given the obvious interest in her.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Yes some outside My Chemical Romance in Kilmainham and The Killers in Malahide recently. I've never bought from a tout or even second hand tickets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

Hopefully they are a dying breed, but I did also see one tout outside the Mitski Vicar St. gig.

By the way @Toast thanks so much for setting up Toutless. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting they're still operating openly in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

They hang around toutless now where they offer non existent tickets for Revolut Payment then disappear.. Users are warned to not make electronic payments to the filthy rats

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Few outside 3arena for war on drugs- gig wasn’t sold out and tickets were only 50 to begin with so doubt they were getting much interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

Seen them around malahide dart Station recently before gerry cinammon and killers gigs, these large gigs often don't sell out and there are always tickets for resale online, so I wonder how they can make a profit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have seen/heard them at the 3Arena when passing (worked nearby), nearly every gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭fallen01angel

Maybe I've been going around with my eyes closed but feel like I haven't seen a tout in absolute yrs thankfully. Absolute dregs of society and would definitely rather miss a gig than hand over money to them. By the way,never knew that Toast,genuine thanks for Toutless.ie It's been a lifesaver on a number of occasions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Solid half dozen outside the point before alanis morisette.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There were some at the Europe/Foreigner/Whitesnake gig at the 3 Area. Only saw 2 or 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,774 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

might be why there are less of them or they are less obvious.

id imagine some of them might have a bit of ‘previous’ with the law… if my reading of their demographic is accurate… so not worth their while I’d imagine standing too openly or obviously in front of X venue looking for 70 quid for a 40 euro ticket…part of their strategy was to be seen, visible and loud, not these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The subhuman scum are still knocking around alright. Vicar St gigs this year had plenty.

Toutless is superb Toast. Big love.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

They are everywhere. I have seen them outside the Olympia, 3 Arena and Vicar St. You only have to look at the history of purchasers on online sites to see who they are. Either that, or they are buying for a football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭skinnyfries

Yes, there was one outside Trinity last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

First of all, a massive thank you to toast. Toutless is an amzing website/community that I've used for years and have never had a problem with it or any of the people using it.

Secondly, and I know this will be controversial but I don't think the 4-6 usual lads touting at the Dublin gigs are the bad guys here.

I've seen the same ones at gigs/sporting events for the past 20 years and they've never been anything but pleasant. Compared to the online re-sellers I these these guys provide a valuable service to regular gig goers. Dozens of times over the years I bought and sold tickets to them and very rarely has this been over face value. If it has, it's the price of a few drinks max.

If you are willing to wait to the very start of a gig, you'll always get a ticket from them at face value or lower.

I'd always use fan-2-fan ticket sales whenever possible, but I wouldn't put anyone off going to a sold out gig (especially mid week in Dublin). You'll normally always get a fan selling a spare and if not, these lads will sell you one. Plus if you've any sort of negotiating skills, you can sometimes get a great bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭head82

Slightly off topic but the question of touts reminded me of an encounter I had with one many years ago. This was way before mobile phones, digital etc. All tickets at this time were paper only. Anyway, Bob Dylan was playing the RDS and I decided at the last minute I wanted to go.

Not having a ticket wasn't going to be an issue I figured as I was bound to find a tout outside the venue. Sure enough the first tout I came across offered me a ticket.. at less than face value! Naturally I was suspicious and the tout sensing my wariness offered to walk me up to the venue entrance to reassure me it was legit. We get to the gate where the ticket checker duly accepts my ticket and I gain admittance. While passing thru the gate I thought I sensed a 'wink and a nod' exchange between the checker and the tout so I glanced over my shoulder and sure enough.. the checker was handing back my ticket to the tout!

No doubt that ticket was sold on many times over. Nice little earner for the pair of them.

The concert was crap BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Something similar going to Chelsea matches in London over the years. I pay £50 for a £10 kids ticket and get told to go to a specific entrance where his mate was working. Worked everytime!

There is one tout who hangs around outside vicar St, who advertises online legitimately. His game plan is he says hes delayed when you get there, if he thinks he may still tout it. Then if he doesn't he says he just arrived now, so sells it to you at face value.

I was outside the pub next to vicar street and he texted me to say he was delayed. I rang him back and could see him answer the phone outside the door.

He was puzzled when his access to the website was pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was a few outside Marlay Park for the chilli's the other night. Haven't noticed them other than that but they probably tend to be at the bigger events.

On a related note, what way do people genuinely buy or sell tickets now with so many being etickets? Is there not a much higher chance you could be scammed? Was actually selling a ticket recently and was wondering what I'd do if anyone came forward, thankfully someone I knew bought it off me so not an issue.

Toutless is good. Adverts is good, Facebook is the wild west, they dont give a crap. Gumtree the same. I had 4 weekend passes to Longitude and couldnt get rid. I did a woman a cracking deal on condition she took the 4. I cut my losses. I see on Adverts today, the longitude tickets are dropping big time. It is interesting to see the sellers with 5, 6, 7 or 8 tickets. They must have bought for a football team or something and it fell through.

This guy seems to have fierce bad luck getting stuck with tickets when his friends pull out. https://www.adverts.ie/member/1274325/ads/sold and https://www.adverts.ie/member/1274325/ads/withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

As loath as I am to praise ticketmaster, the new transfer system they have is really good. If someone transfers you tickets that way you know they're yours and there's no chance they've been duplicated (at least, I think that's true)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Are the old barcodes not invalidated if they're transferred?

I don't actually know, I just assumed they were

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I think a lot of them have evolved and now buy up the likes of new iPhones/PlayStations/etc.

Wheeling and dealing online is much more hospitable than hanging around in the cold, wind and rain.

Much safer investment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

I see a few offers of Caribou tickets on toutless and the 1 genuine looking offer and sale on facebook, I wonder why they aren't reselling via ticketmaster?

Also how would people have hard copies and not also have a digital copy?

Some events may not allow reselling via ticketmaster, how do you know who does and doesn't.

If it lists the event as limited tickets (vs sold out) does that indicate they do allow reselling via tickemaster. https://www.ticketmaster.ie/caribou-tickets/artist/960381

Post edited by pjcb on

Advertisement