Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What purchase history do you have?

What Rolex watches do you want to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

hard to know.. it feels like watches may become more available this year/next.. ive my name down since last year for a GMT in weirs.. not holding my breath. Spoke to salesperson in Lunns a few months ago and he reckoned he was seeing a fair few cancellations on their wait list and there should be more available..

Unless you've spent a good few tens of thousands on high margin stuff like jewelery / undesirable watches, you can forget about it. Waiting lists don't really exist. If you want a Rolex steel sports, go buy one from a reputable second hand dealer. Or you will be waiting forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Is that what you have previously bought or is that what youve asked to buy ?

• Advertisement

No, that’s what I want to buy

@unkel - I’m prepared to wait to try & get one at list price. I’d rather go without then pay the prices grey market dealers want. Salesperson I was with did seem optimistic, just that there will be quite a bit of time to wait.

So what's your history with the AD? Unless you have spent a small fortune, you can forget about ever getting a submariner from them. It ain't gonna happen. Do you not think we've all tried that? 😂 It's basically a gift worth several grand, they're not just going to give that to you.

My purchase history isn’t really any of your business unkel, just to know that I do have one with them. We’ll check back in 2-3 years & see who was right :)

Fair enough you don't want to tell us about your purchase history, but it is essential in whether or not you will get your Rolex. With an insignificant history, you are extremely unlikely to get it. With a significant history, you have a good chance.

You asked a question that Unkle is trying to answer for you. No need for a smart arse “none of your business “ response . Purchase history is how it works and for what it’s worth if you were told 2-3 years , you haven’t even got on the list

• Advertisement

My intention wasn’t to come across as a ‘smart arse’, no offence but I don’t intend to share how much I’ve spent on watches, jewellery etc. on a public forum, nor should I be expected to. I provided enough information about it in my original post. It’s absolutely none of anyones business but mine, and I’d expect to be told the same if I kept pushing it.

Post edited by UhOh on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

curious what constitutes a significant history? also interesting to see what what happen if things are slowing down a bit how it will affect supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Paul Thorpe had a video recently where he stated that ADs had been informed by Rolex that they were to sell no more than three Rolexs a year to individuals. Something about Rolex seeing the same names appear in registrations time after time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

How much you have spent and what on is pretty pertinent information to answering your question. It’s not the only factor and luck can play a part bit for any gmt by selling to you they are gifting you 5k or so minimum. So a couple of k worth of previous purchases ain’t going to cut mustard. I think a regular spend over a year or two totalling 30k plus might get you noticed at least.

The fact you asked the question makes me think you bought your wedding rings there 4 years ago for and also some other small stuff. Total 5k or less. Sadly unless you get very lucky no chance.

Tide is turning slowly but market is basically on pause at moment.

Of course the sales man is hopeful. He will get you buy some other tat to string you along if he can while you wait. Expect a call asking if you want to look at some Tudor or omega that are “hard to get” and “just came in”.

Aslong as dealers “buy prices” (ignore sell prices” are above retail then then things will be hard to get.

Unmanageable. ADs are in on the scam. So are Rolex. They are delighted all the undesirable watches are moving at the same time.

The above are snips of bull **** policy to try keep people interested…….give them hope…..and keep the game going as long as possible.

Can’t use my name three times? Ok let’s use my wife (her maiden name even), my son, my dog, two of my cows, my father etc.

Boom I own 21 Rolex and Rolex know “nothing”.

Not the most welcoming of sub forums you boys have here. I’ll see myself out….

You are being touchy, but I guess the same accusation could be levelled at us. Asking your spend history is very common question. Usually you don’t give specifics e.g you could say “low 5 figures on non hype watches and jewellery”.

Stick around and show off the collection. We are not a bad bunch. Couple of cliques here and there but many here are friendly off the forum so that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No offence but the lads are trying to explain how things are, it’s not their fault it’s just the way things are at the moment, we are all on ‘lists’ the reality is the list does t exist unless you are spending 10s of thousands on other stuff , why, because if they sell you a sub or a gmt at rrp they are handing you 3-5k the Seine they sell it, so they will go to someone who is buying their other less desirable items.

maybe you are in that boat, if so great, but it’s unlikely given you have been told 2-3 years.

this is about as friendly a corner of boards as you’ll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

It's not like Rolex haven't been aware for years that the same names are doing the registrations, PT claims Rolex are irked by it now. As for Rolex shifting undesirable models, they have always controlled means of production, so don't make so many.

Maybe it's some topsy turvy world where a manufacture increases demand for a less desirable model by throttling the supply of an in demand model. Do they get some perverse satisfaction out of saddling the customer with some watch they didn't really want?

That said, I would like a no date sub, preferably at retail.

It’s all lip service I think. Same as the “taking the stickers off” to prevent flipping, keeping warranty card etc. The move away from wait list to “expression of interest” is the same thing. They sell to who and when they choose. There is no “fair”. It’s business.

Rolex are delighted with how it is. Steel sports make a small part of the market. Date just prob outsell 4/1. Ladies date just are selling at retail instead of a discount. Use steel to reward those that buy other stuff. Don’t be fooled by the rhetoric about “Rolex are not happy with ADs”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

UhOh I know you from the EV forums I think?, you are a nice chap there, nice new i4 isnt so a man of some means.

Yeah its an odd situation that getting a Rolex is. Spend history is a thing. I have a very healthy spending history (in my opinion) and I have gotten exactly sweet **** all thats worth my time, its a madness to the point I took my disposable off to a different hobby. There are lads out there that are treating this as a business and buying 10 watches a month on credit cards, selling them off for a small loss and repeating. Literally 100's of thousands through the AD a year. These fellows get thrown all the good watches. Its a shocking state of affairs.

Been on a list for a Daytona now 7 years, Sky-dweller 4 years, Aquanaut for 2 years, not a sniff. And I spend mid tier 5 figures a year on jewelry and other watches (actually spent, done with that **** now). I know guys spend 200k in a single pop on dress Pateks and they get the good watches fairly quick like 2-3 months. I am like most infuriated that I cannot spend my money as I want, but Unkle is right.

Mostly I just went to the grey market and bought what I wanted, my time is more valuable than being waiting on a list. . But have been put on many many lists by many many sales people (as they wrapped up my wifes latest trinket, or my latest "relationship piece") and told me the watch I actually wanted was "just year away", "you're next on the list sir" and I walked away with lots of enthusiasm and a spring in my step for my impending new watches. Never got them but left happy...the very purpose of the waiting list (no such thing BTW its only a preferred client list). Probably I ask for watches that are just outside my spending history, but thats kind of a catch 22 isnt it.

Hell so many friends text me all the time " I am getting a sub at retail in 6 months" my standard reply is "you are in your hole". There are people just wait and get the watches, and you might be lucky. But if you asking for anything heavy like a Pepsi or a blue SD you dont have a hope unless you are a big and regular spender, and most big spenders know all about the wait lists already (kinda of a if you have to ask, your not thing). If its a sub or a batman of something modest you are after then maybe the wait time is realistic.

My advice just get the watch you want grey, the market is tanking at the moment and you will pay only a small premium over retail for most watches, and your dignity will remain intact, its not a game worth playing or you will end up jaded like me and overspending on things you dont really want.

Waiting list watches are like fusion energy....always 5 years away.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry you feel that way UhOh, I know the money aspect can be a thorny one for us Irish esp when discussing what is wholly discretionary spending, esp during a time such as now.

That said? It's an important one in terms of how likely one is to get anywhere with an AD when trying to get a Rolex/Patek/VC/AP at list price. 893bet, Fitz , Unkel, Cyrus and others are all fairly spot on in their assessment of the state of play with regard the list and "getting the call".

Even the notion of a wait list has fallen by the wayside with Rolex now. Recent stories of ADs wanting prospective buyers to basically convince them why they should get a one 🤷‍♂️

Rolex and the others at the top of the Stainless sports watch tree have reached that curious position where a prospective buyer has to convince the seller why they "deserve" to be given the watch. It's a marketing masterstroke but a quite perverse economic model where the restriction of supply at RRP for what are these brands "cheap" models drives pricing on secondary markets and that by itself becomes a means of conspicuous consumption and further drives prices on secondary markets and pushes up the length of the fabled wait-list even more.

The wait list is a myth, the actual means of buying a Rolex via an Irish AD is a spend history and quite often a significant one at that. I mean I am on a list quite a few years at this stage,with ne'er a sniff.

I do hope that you stick around, whatever about starting off with us being nosey bastárds 😉 as I have been known to sometimes say?

This really is the nicest corner of boards 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

@Fitz II "Mostly I just went to the grey market and bought what I wanted, my time is more valuable than being waiting on a list..."

This is me as well. My dignity and time are worth far more than indulging some sales person in Weirs by buying things I do not want. I've sourced a couple of decent enough grey dealers over the years and they are where I go. And thankfully prices seem to be moderating and even falling. I've my eye on an Explorer 1, probably a 124270, And whereas I wouldn't pay 4k over retail, I would pay 2k, and that is looking more likely recently.

Not sure if there’s any Tudor fans here apart from myself but there’s something new being released this week .I’m thinking either a new ranger or oyster prince ,failing that maybe a bb pro in polar which would be very nice .Supposed to be another release in September and the Dublin Tudor boutique is due to open before Xmas .

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Polar BB Pro would be fire. It will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeves

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bit off piste (that's allowed right?), since we all have exceptional tastes here could someone point me towards a place that sells nice cufflinks. They're for my wedding so I'm not opposed to spending a little more than the usual €20 M&S pair I'd usually go but not going for the €5k pair of Patek Nautilus ones Weir's have 😀.

I like the pair P&P have where they are repurposed watch movements, I've reached out to confirm if they can deliver in time and yet to hear back.

Had to look that up, pretty cool

A phone call will tell you if they can ship them. Otherwise if they are in stock, you could always go collect them presuming you're not that far away. It's an easy enough spin up from Dublin. Best of luck with the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have given them a Whatapp but they said they weren't in stock in Belfast, so me thinks they're a special order item so I asked them if they could get to me in time but yet to hear back. will wait until the afternoon before giving them a bell. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

A watch guy in the office called me over the other day, saying he had news, I knew it was "watch news" and was keen to see what he had, he said he'd bought a Tag. Now I'm not a fan of Tag really, I like two of them and would only buy one which is the Monaco in blue.... and what had he bought, a Monaco in blue.... Sigh.

I even got home and said 'hey, so and so bought a Tag' and my wife laughed and said 'Not the Monaco in blue...'

I'd thought about picking one up later in the year as I'm travelling so I would get a decent price, think I'll try and find something else. If I'm paying decent money I would at least like it a little exclusive locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Richard Mille RM UP-01 Ferrari Is The New Thinnest-Ever Mechanical Watch: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/richard-mille-rm-up-01-ferrari-is-the-new-thinnest-ever-mechanical-watch/

While technically and conceptually impressive, it does nothing for me at all aesthetically, which is such a key part of watch design and purchase consideration imo.

Advertisement