Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wayfair.ie - furniture & home

• 02-07-2022 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Wayfair quietly opened in Ireland a couple of months ago. https://www.wayfair.ie/

They are a huge online furniture & home company with sale about $3.5 billion and you would have seen their adverts on UK TV. They also have their European customer service and finance operations in galway with about 600 employees.

Seems they now have a warehouse in Ballycoolin and also transport items from their other European warehouses to Ireland for onward delivery.

On bargains they have a "Black July" promo and some really decent prices https://www.wayfair.ie/daily-sales/black-friday-in-july and you can find some gems too.

But what I really really like is that unlike almost every other furniture retailer they do not use false/fake "rrp" prices that seem to be permanently marked half price for customers to be conned into thinking they are getting value or the joke "after event" price crap that DFS claim.

Quality is excellent and even better is that the furniture is so easy to put together. I got a couple of beds and a wardrobe recently and it took less than 2 hours to put all of it together.

A lot of local places will fear this especially the likes of Michael Murphy & EZ living where there seems to be a permanent doubling of prices to make you think its half price yet its still expensive.

btw - delivery is also Free on orders over €40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

That's great to know, and very close to me too so 🤞 for fast delivery. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Agree with you with the RRP trickery the furniture shops engage in, it is a complete con. And Id say no way do they have those items on sale at full price for 28 days like they are supposed to under consumer law. When you walk around the store and every single items goes something like 'Was 999, now 599' you know it is a con, it was never on sale for 999 in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Their app is functioning in the ROI also, although it seems that currency payment is in GBP.

Great selection of stock 👌

Post edited by jack in the box on

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Has anyone bought any of their mattresses?

Needing a replacement and the prices seem to be very reasonable.. And the reviews also very positive...

https://www.wayfair.ie/mattresses/pdp/wayfair-sleep-calthorpe-pillow-top-pocket-sprung-mattress-ddsc1038.html?piid=51336338

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Bought two beds. Doddle to put together. Reviews seem to be genuine.

Seems they operate like a giant drop ship consolidator. (Article in Irish times) All the furniture is listed by the various furniture companies themselves. Wayfair arrange collection from the sellers warehouse, consolidate them with other items you order and deliver all together.

Wayfair agree a wholesale price with the supplier and then manage the retail price themselves.

• Advertisement

In Ireland there's no such requirement which is a pity.

There is a requirement in the UK, but can be in the far corner of one branch for 28 days and then can be advertised nationwide.

But Irish furniture retailers especially Michael Murphy and ezliving just make customers out to be fools with their excessive and made up rrps.

A bit like Tesco and their fake wine offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They seem incredibly expensive, there are identical items being sold on amazon for a third of the price in some cases. Lovely to have access at last to the store but a case of buyer beware and ensuring that you shop around for prices elsewhere if you find something you love there.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

The item I wanted on it was on Amazon for the same price, just with €350 shipping on top. I didn't bother to calculate what VAT would be.

Sometimes the price is the price, sometimes it ain't.

I wonder what it would be like returning a large and bulky item to them if you didnt like it? That would be my worry about buying furniture online, like if you are going to get hit with a 100 euro charge to send it back then its a risk becasue you dont know what will show up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The returns and refund policy looks decent, they will arrange delivery back, 59 looks to be the price for large packages, I assume furniture . That said I note they say if you feel your item isn't exactly as described you can return for refund rather than if you don't like it

"Please note that you are responsible for the costs of returning items. If you choose for us to arrange for them to be collected and/or shipped, the return shipping charge can vary between 6€ and 9€ for small parcel carrier services and 59€ for large parcel carrier services. This cost will be deducted directly from your refund. Once the item is returned back to us, we will process the refund and the timing may vary depending on your payment method. To find out more about your refund please see our Refund Policy."

https://www.wayfair.ie/help/article/return_policy/34C99EEB-9A42-420F-85FC-EDD672202757

• Advertisement

I suppose 59 euro to return something like a sofa or bed isnt too bad given the size and weight of them.

Has anyone here actually ordered from them and were they happy with the quality? What other retailer would you compare it to? Just trying to get a sense if buying from Wayfair is like buying from Bargaintown or Woodies or where it sits in the market.

The other problem might be as they are a furniture consolidator who are grabbing pieces from all sorts of supply sources the quality could be all over the place, they could be great for some stuff but awful for others and its pot luck which it is.

I've ordered and very happy with price and quality.

But like every retail outlet you need to compare with other stores.

I checked for a new WC I want for ensuites and downstairs WC. Local supplier in Meath is 40% cheaper as they have the exact same item on offer.

What I do like is that if a price is reduced, it is a genuine reduction and not the sh1te reduction from a made up excessive RRP others do.

But, yep, a "fancy IKEA" is probably a good description.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How does the quality compare to Made.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Just looking at some of there stuff and is very reasonable comparted so some other sites. Ill be making a purchase of a few recliners and rugs .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Skorkeys

Are they selling items that they don't have in stock?

Original estimated Delivery Date(s):

• Delivery 2: Tue, Sep 6

Hi Xxxx

Unfortunately item(s) from your order #‌XXXXXXXXXX have been delayed again and we apologise as we know how frustrating this can be. Our Wayfair Delivery Partner expects to have your items by Sun, 13 Nov.

jaysis thats not good as I was thinking of ordering a guest bed from them soon and it will be needed in a months time. Delivery says two weeks which I thought sounds low, hope they are not spoofing.

Do you have any rights to a refund if an item isnt delivered when they said it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dolphinsmile

Bought 3 items off Wayfair. Everything arrived late. One item came in flat back form although website stated it was assembled. Another item arrived damaged due to poor packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

My sister has ordered a playhouse I think she is still waiting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I see a huge amount of wayfair and made.com returns being auctioned through John Pye auctions in NI and the UK.

Some of it is clearly damaged during delivery whilst other items have been returned as unsuitable or whatever.

The thing is though that while there might be a page or two of returns from a quality outlet like John Lewis Stores there are dozens and dozens of pages from wayfair and made. That would be a definite caveat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adams86

Has anybody actually ordered off them. Some of the reviews for the UK site are awful. I'm a bit weary to order incase it a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

It finally came 2 weeks ago, looks good and they are happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adams86

At least it came, I was worried I'd order something and it just never show up.

Its not a scam but it does seem that their estimated shipping times can be off by several weeks. And with any place that sells furniture online if it arrives and you dont like the quality or whatever you will be in a world of pain and expense trying to return it. If you do like it though the prices are hard to beat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s a bit like eBay on that they have different sellers, rather than being a single business. You do need to read reviews carefully, but we’ve always had great experiences with Wayfair overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Treppen

Weren't they selling abducted children before or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Order two of the same item off then a few weeks ago. Came on time (about a week) and both of them together. They were as described and were less than half the price of similar ones we looked at elsewhere

So far so good anyway

Thinking of putting an order in soon and was wondering if anyone has a referral or a discount code they might have sent from a previous order?

Also any delays on delivery with them lately or are items arriving generally on time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Purchased item in October and went missing. Still hasn’t shown up but got refund. Maybe I was just unlucky but it has put me off buying from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I purchased a bakers rack from amazon germany, it was about €90 delivered. It was €170 on wayfair, so make sure you shop around before purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement