Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Culture around renting

• 30-06-2022 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Looking at opinion polls and the general sense of the country I find that most or at least a lot of the issues are caused by a perceived injustice of people having to rent and their parents feeling angry about it as well.

Why as a culture do we hate renting so much?

Why do we look at renters as either victims or unsuccessful?

Will the expectation of buying a home ever go away when the penny drops that for most people it will no longer be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

I dont think we would hate renting if it wasnt always double the price of paying a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Nidge20131

I think its down to social class and our perception of what we think middle class is more than costs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I rent and never wanted to own a property. I wish it was more stable. My landlord can increase my rent beyond what I can afford at any time.

My rent is still very cheap at €850 for a city centre 2 bed flat. But cheap for a reason (there are problems).

I'd love to move but my rent would be more like €1200 if I could even find a place.

I'm 49, have no children to leave property to, and hate the idea of taking on massive debt.

Renting should be the norm for those with no interest in owning property. Just somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Nidge20131

do you feel of a lower social standing because of it?

• Advertisement

No, not at all. I just don't want to own a piece of the Earth.

I'd love to rent from the Council, for the same rent I'm paying now. I have a decent income of €50K. I'd like to see that rent go into the public purse rather than the landlord's, but haven't a hope of getting up the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The issue isn't renting. It's the extortionate rates than landlords can charge for doing almost nothing. Meanwhile, people are priced out of areas they grew up in and can't afford to settle down and start families.

Germany proves you can have a functional rental market. I wouldn't be hopeful for the UK or Ireland though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try both renting and living without a car, to see how people can perceive you as really weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, purchasing is deemed a step towards providing a critical human need, i.e. increasing the 'security of accommodation', and since we ve completely wrecked our property markets, in terms of both renting and purchasing, this is helping to escalate this critical need.....

Aha! :) I have never driven a car; can't and won't drive, hate them. People think I'm very odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I would hazard a guess that the majority of people like security. There is far more security in owning your own home then in renting. You are not a whim of a landlord deciding to sell up or rent property to their relatives instead. Also once the mortgage is paid off it’s all yours and you call sell it and downsize if necessary when you retire. If you rent then you still have to pay rent when you retire. If your career was in a large city you could find that once you retire and are on a fixed income you mightn’t be able to afford to rent in area you are currently in.

Which all points to the need for regulation of rented properties, and for the complete rethinking of social housing policy. I want my rent money, paid throughout my life, to contribute to a social insurance system, so that when I retire, I will not be left homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I thought that, until I bought a house and realised that there is absolutely nothing to stop the Mongrel Mob or the Kinahans from moving in next door, and that if they did I was screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Sounds like an interesting idea. Has any political party ever had such a policy. I suppose in the future the government will have to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The problem is renting is more expensive than buying a house, there's no long term security, the landlord could put the rent up in a year or 2, you might get asked to move out.most of gen z is looking at the prospect of never being able to buy property, its a choice of live at home or pay expensive rent. We are in the era of inflation, Ireland is becoming an expensive country to live in. We already have regulation of rental property's, there's loads of regulations, I think maybe you mean rent control. I don't know what changes they can make, the main problem is lack of housing, we need 20k plus units built per year,

The government simply cannot do this, due to rising costs lack of resources, supply chain problems. If you vote for sinn féin or fine Gael it does not make much difference

If there's excessive regulations landlords can simply sell up and leave the market what can we do Re social housing that we don't already do , I think the main problem is not bad policy's or lack of regulation

I think new company's will stop coming here due to the awful state of the rental market

This sounds like that poster who rereges every month to discuss their inability to buy a house but modifies the story each time...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

I suspect its 100% the same poster. They just so far haven't given us their usual backstory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Rented property is heavily regulated.

You want security of housing without having to pay by buying property.

The only people who can supply that are the Govt and they don't want to. The private market (as it exists) cannot supply that. Because by it's nature is driven by profit.

Housing that's supplied at cost or subsidized or free has to come from the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Almost nothing, except invest a lot of their own/borrowed money into a property that you could wreck/stop paying rent in. If it is just about “extortionate” rates/profits, you have to wonder why so many LLs are leaving, and so few are investing.

It never ceases to amaze me why some think they have some entitlement to live in a high price locality, just because they were born there.

Most people don’t hate renters op, they hate eejits with a sense of entitlement, the genesis of the rental problem lies in the lack of supply and poorly thought out legislation/regulations which discourage investment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Spare me. They make a fortune for doing very, very little. They can sell anytime and can always increase the rent which is already well above what repayments on a mortgage would be.

I'm not from a high price locality and I obviously never said people had a right to live there. Just that there should be affordable housing. This landlord victimhood crap is incredibly disingenuous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

The big companies who are already here, Google, Facebook etc are buying up newly built apartments to house their new hires. That's how bad the lack of supply has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hatred of landlords is baked in to our culture.

Renting is thought of as something only students, transients and perceived 'failures' at life, separated husbands etc. do. It's also supposed to be temporary. Housesharing you do in your 20s, maybe 30s for sh1ts and giggles before you settle down to the house in the 'burbs or build a house on the farm. Certainly not long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fairness you started it whining about landlords and their extortionate rates.

If a LL sets any rent they like. Say 4x times the nearest rent for the same property. Will they get a tenant. No. So its not the LL setting the rent. Its the market. The Landlord doesn't build housing, they are not dictating supply, they don't dictate the market.

Rents are nuts. But LLs don't control them. If they set them too low they (under the current rules) are penalized for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

One of the biggest issues with long term rentals is what happens to those renters when they retire. Its fine now when earning regularly but unless you have an absolute romper stomper of a pension, once you hit retirement age you could be in serious jeopardy. As least with owning a property, the worry about paying rent / mortgage will be likely be gone by retirement age.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is your answer op.

The ignorance of the above post is staggering. A huge number of investors lost their investment and more in the last recession, there is no guarantee that the value of the property will go up, nor that the tenant will not be errant. So the LL has a hell of a lot more to lose than the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Obviously buying a property is far better than renting one. Your money is getting you something for the long term, that's not the case with renting, it's all month to month. You could rent for 40 years and you'll still have to pay a significant amount each month of the 41st year.

The idea that renting is superior to buying but that the masses just haven't realised it yet is pretty crazy.

It's not the landlord's fault.

Do you want them to voluntarily make less profit?

If you are against anything, it's the rules.

The landlords are playing by the rules like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Landlords are so so marginalized , those poor guys hahahahahahha

• Advertisement

I think a lot of it is age-old jealousy and envy.

Typical Irish begrudgery to people trying to do well for themselves - and who are doing so within the rules.

Advertisement