Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭SocialSpud

Nice one! Won't using a garage mean that the rain sensors won't work though?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I'm hoping that it will head out and sense that it's raining so should head back to the base again, albeit a full loop of the lawn using the guidewire. There's probably something fancy that can be done to interlink the current weather to it's cut schedule but I'll see how the above pans out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Actually, this lad has the right idea.. I see a little tube coming from the roof and it's positioned right above where the rain sensor would be when the landroid is on the base. A very smart and simple approach.

He has a few videos of the garage and you can see a little white funnel on the apex of the gable to catch just enough rain for it to flow down the tube and hit the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I think the Husq have a weather app so they can tell if raining but then again something else to go wrong :-)

Wouldn't fancy relying on Met Eireann to determine if my robot should go out or not haha.

• Advertisement

I am in the process of getting some landscaping done and I'm trying to plan the lawn with the robot lawnmower in mind. I'd love to hear from you folks if you think it's ok, or if you have further tips or advice. I have made a plan below and I think it should be fairly straightforward. Some things of note:

1. My only real concern is how to deal with the soccer goals. I don't want the robot's blades to cut the nets, so just wondering what's best? Is the obstacle avoidance module necessary?
    2. I have a small patio which will be in the garden itself (in orange) but it will be below the grass line so I think it should be ok and the robot should drive over it without damaging its blades.
    3. I live in rural Ireland where we have lots of uneven stone walls and boulders, so I'm going to put down a curb alongside it to make things easier for the robot, and less strimming for me. Here's a photo to give a better idea.
    4. The robot will only be doing the back lawn, I'll be doing the front lawn myself.
    5. The robot will be powered by an outside socket attached to the garage, facing the lawn.
    6. Wifi won't reach most of the lawn, is this a concern?

Just an FYI

Amazon Germany have a few Landroid 700m2 "used". I buy loads of stuff from them used and always great quality. 556 euro plus delivery which I have no idea how much it will cost

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07LFWY9FB?psc=1&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

I have similar with the nets, I was going to buy fake grass and install at the end of each lawn running the wire around them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You must be an architect or some kind of drawing professional to put a drawing of that detail together for a boards post about a robot mower (and flowers included!)! 😀

My only real concern is how to deal with the soccer goals. I don't want the robot's blades to cut the nets,

It depends on the goals and how the nets are exposed. If the rear posts are low and the mower can drive up and over them it will rip into the nets for sure. Maybe post a pic of the goals.

You can, of course, section them off and just manually cut inside the goals, you'll probably need to do that anyway as it won't cut it perfect all the way into the goals. You could also move the goals around by a few feet every few weeks (as long as you block the back of it).

I'd love to hear from you folks if you think it's ok, or if you have further tips or advice.

1) If your pro drawing (!) is to scale you are going to need a guide wire to get the mower reliably in and out of that location. Getting out will be easy, getting in would be difficult without resorting to following the boundary.... guide wires are better for that, so try to get a mower with guide wire capability.

2) If you are still at landscaping stage and have control over the edges I would recommend you make the bends gradual rather than having 90° angles for corners. Its harder for the mower. It will still manage fine but gradual bends are easier for the mower to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Have the same mower the elite+ is rated for 5000mtr’s. I have roughly 4000 Mtrs and it’s going 7 days a week 4 10 hr days 3 8hr days. When the growth went crazy there last month. I cut the whole lawn with a borrowed mower lower than the robot. He hasn’t missed a beat since just keeps it maintained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

If the net is just lying on the ground then I'd get a couple of planks of wood and sandwich the bottom edge of the net between and screw them together. The mower should stop when it hits the planks.

Definitely not an architect, just handy with the old computers. Have these plans made out for a couple of reasons so it's handy to post to various places as I need to.

I haven't actually purchased any goals yet but most of them have the nets wrapped around the bottom post so that's why I was a bit worried about it. I could see about getting ones that have the nets inside the post 🤔

To be prepared, I went and got the Worx Landroid L2000 and I don't think that has guide wire capabilities, just boundary wire, so hopefully it'll still make its way in ok.

Good tip about the 90 angles!

Thanks, just wondering which you buy? the default/longlife or extreme safety?

Think I just found the solution 😁

https://www.exittoys.ie/exit-scala-aluminum-football-goal-220x120cm-42-22-12-00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

These may have a similar problem, if the mower doesn't bounce off the bottom of the goals (which it looks like it wouldn't it has a diameter of 6cm, which on paper looks ok but im not sure) it could possible drive through the net

Your options probably are

Physical barrier, put something like piece of timber around the bottom of goals so the mower will bounce of it. Not sure this will work great from both the inside and outside though. I do something similar on the legs of my trampoline and it works perfectly, but not sure if it will work well with the goals. Not my picture but ive done the same things as this.

Boundary barrier, if the goals are going to be in a fixed location, you could make a boundary island for each of them like you would with a flower bed.

Off limits add-on, is a less "permanent" way of achieving this , still requires it to be pegged down though. it is probably easier to remove/reverse if you wanted to

Personally I would probably go with the boundary wire, you could always remove it if you wanted to with a couple of those patch connectors.

Found this online, sold as a potential free add-on if you buy from agrieuro.co.uk. I can't find anywhere else online that sell it, anyone seen something similar to help install the wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Husq430x

Hi All

New on here so not sure how this works or if I'm posting in the right place. I've a husqvarna 430x that is acting strange lately. There are two guide wires. One is not showing up at all on the sensors but I cant find a cut in it. The other shows up sometimes and then other times it doesn't show up at all. Mower tends to stay on one side too long and I need move it to the other side. Switch trips at fuse box at night while mower is idle. And I know the mower is causing this because if I try to plug it in immediately it will trip again. Then when I get it going again it will most likely pick one side to keep mowing until I physically move it.

Any help much appreciated.

Probably a fault in the docking station.

Trying taking a short length of guide wire and putting it across the two terminals for the failing guide wire and see if the guide wire shows up. If not, then its clearly not your guide wire at fault but the docking station itself... they have been known to fail.

Switch trips at fuse box at night while mower is idle.

That's bad. That will either cause the docking station to eventually fail with all the reboots or it is a symptom that the docking station has an electrical fault that is causing it to trip.

You need to send the docking station to a dealer I'd say.... probably needs a new board...~ €180ish

• Advertisement

Cheers for your help guys

Just thought of something today. The switch trips after heavy rain and I have the transformer in a plastic box but a drop of water was getting in. So that most likely explains that side of it! And I'd imagine this in turn would put pressure on the docking station and cause it to fail?? So Kcross I take each wire off both terminals on one side and get a short piece of wire. Cross the terminals and if I get a flashing blue light then the docking station is faulty?

The idea is to rule out your existing boundary and guide wires.

So, you take a new piece of guide wire and make up a "fake" tiny lawn effectively, by disconnecting all your existing connectors and only using the new guide wire (which will only be a few feet/metres) long and you can cut in some guide wire to it as well to simulate real guide wires..... connect that back up to the docking station and if you don't get a solid green light and 2 guide wires showing up you know it is not your real boundary/guide that's at fault.

Its just a test to rule out a wire break(or bad connection), it won't fix your problem!

Do you get a solid green light on the docking station right now? Even when its not showing the guide wires?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I like the open mower technology info linked

I’m surprised mowers are still reliant on boundary wires. Any advancement imminent? Drop and mow can’t be that difficult?

😎

Cheers Kcross

I'll try this. Yeah I'm getting a solid green. I did the guide wire test on Guide 1 and get a solid green. Did it for Guide 2 and get the flashing blue light.

So I suspect that side of the station is faulty. I did the find guide wire test with AM radio and it was ok until I got to 10 metres from station when signal was lost. So I gently dug up the wire but found no break. At the minute the phone App is saying the mower is leaving the station (99% charge) but its still in the station and will be for some time unless I physically do something about it! So the below sketch would be how I'd cross the wires? Or in this case it looks like by crossing G2 to B1 it would tell me whats up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

This is the same general idea behind the Luba kickstarter and the segway navimow. (GPS RTK)

Personally I think the boundary wire is a better system than people give it credit for, its incredibly simple, it's a cheap solution and other than breaks its very reliable.

The RTK systems are much more expensive. The open mower project requires $400 worth of GPS modules (2x $200) as well some other electronics as well as $100 worth of raspberry pis (2 x $50, if you can even get them). Also just as an FYI It also probably needs another $100 worth of components and PCBs and requires significant amount of electronics assembly skills to get it working.

They are also much more complicated in terms of software and edge cases (what happens if your mower drives under a tree and blocks the GPS etc)

Other than saving a couple of hours of installation of the wire, the GPS RTK only real advantage over the wire is the more efficient navigation, seeing as it doesn't need to travel randomly, it doesn't need to be out for as long. Which definitely has its advantages, but my wire mower isn't out on the lawn enough as it is for it to be a problem for us, so if it was out for half that time again, would it really be much of an advantage? Maybe a small amount of energy savings to be had every year, but nothing too significant.

Saying that, I do think it will move that way over the next few years. It's not about it being a significant improvement, but its about it appearing like a significant improvement from a marketing point of view, and I think there is clearly a demand for it.

It will be interesting to see how the Luba works when it's shipped at the end of the month (if it does). I expect it to have plenty of issues.

I guess it’s the convenience of plug and play. My generation barely know what a landline is a boundary wire just seems old school when our iPhones can pinpoint our location our even an apple AirTag in a suitcase. Lack of wires would also mean family could borrow it for a trial, or use it in more than one location.

😎

Who was the irish seller? How are you both getting on with it?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Redlim

Hopefully @navimow11 can help you out with the Irish seller they found but I don't think there's any active here yet. It's only been launched in a selection of countries so far and we both bought from Belgium - arrived at the end of last week. Stock seems very limited relative to demand due to the usual issues with semi-conductors etc. but Segway say they should have another batch in the coming months.

In terms of the user side of things, I'm afraid I've nothing to report so far as I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Hoping to have it up and running before next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Thud

From what i’ve read the Segway Navimows have been having issues, unless you have a very open garden(no trees, bushes or buildings ) the gps is having issues and they are recommending you install a boundary wire anyway so don’t think the technology is there yet.

• Advertisement

have read this too, but limited pool of reviews, and those with issues will be the first to report. There is an antenna that can be bought also.

😎

Advertisement