Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sort of - It was set to 9 back in 1869 when there were 9 Circuit courts - It had moved up and down a fair bit prior to that , mostly down to various Presidents and Congresses playing silly buggers.

There are 13 circuits now , but there is no formal link between the two that is actually codified anywhere so an attempt to add 4 more for example to align to the Circuits would be seen for what it is - A partisan attempt to shift the balance , regardless of how partisan the work of McConnell et al was to tilt it to it's current state.

Term limits are the way to go - Set it to something like 20 or 25 years and then work from there. - Breyer is already gone , so only Thomas is currently over that limit , next up would be Roberts and Alito who are both at ~16 years.

Introduce the same Terms limits across the board - House, Senate and SCOTUS - It would mean a large scale clear out across the board but overall it would be extremely good for the US system of Government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who wants to be the one who pulled the trigger on the Republic going completely off the rails though? No more than wanting to remove a potentially useful tool in the filibuster, I can see Democrats reluctance to go nuclear. I can also see the argument to do just that - the Republic itself is in peril and drastic action might be the only remaining course, rather than waiting for the GOP to get over its pivot into a full-blown Christian Extremist / Personality Cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There seems to be something happening very fast with the work of the investigative committee and its staff working on it's evidence hearings. The decision by the investigation committee to meet in sudden session tomorrow after breaking up for the holiday period, with congress members having to return tomorrow to listen to who seems to be a surprise witness is probably coincidental to the FBI, with DOJ clearance and with a warrant from a judge, stopping John Eastman leaving a restaurant and seizing his phone. Eastman is claiming the seizure is wrong. Having the phone and its contents in their possession is one part of the battle to use them to make a case against Eastman of actions contrary to law. The other part is getting it accepted into evidence in a court as well as available to the committee hearings.

I have started wondering recently if the reported disagreement between the DOJ and the committee on the sharing of information the committee has been given by witnesses has been a ploy to legally fool the Trump party involved in the fight against the committee hearings. The FBI must be as aware as any other powerful investigative body of whom is likely to have information useful to its investigation as the committee does and did. I guess Trump may yet regret not issuing a pardon to Eastman in respect to things he may or may not have done on Trump's behalf in the past while still president.

I'm also wondering if some-one high in public Washington public life has [been] rolled-over by the FBI and agreed to provide evidence to the committee in return for non-prosecution. It could also be person/s from one or more of the states vote-recording officials or some-one from one of the alternative Trump-inspired GOP fake vote recording groups.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Seems to be some suggestion that the focus is on phone calls/discussions among the Trump offspring about "Election Strategies" prior to the Election that were caught on Camera by the Documentary team.

What appears to interest the panel is whether Trump and his children had planned to somehow stop the certification of the election on January 6 – a potential violation of federal law – and to force a contingent election if Trump lost as early as September.

If they have these kind of discussions on tape from months before the election that is huge...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes - Apparently he has 6 or 7 hours of direct interviews with Trump and family along with 100+ hours of general footage just following them around etc.

Looks like it's the general footage that they might be talking about here.

Oh , I know but it's the only serious solution to the problems they have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's also the problem that there are so many broken aspects to American Politics, chasing Chuck Grassley out of the senate is going to be a tough sell for those most incensed about more immediate, day-to-day issues. With Roe v. Wade in tatters, I doubt even the most persuasive politician could sway the public that the larger issue people should focus on are the lifetime appointments with the SC - and functional ones afforded by no term limits..

The upshot to this time of the witness testimony before the committee is that Trump wanted the SS to remove the metal-detectors from his speech-stage area as the armed people in the crowd didn't want to go through the detectors. Trump, according to the witness, had already been informed by his security that people in the crown were armed and he said "they're my people, they wont harm me".

In his speech from the stage, Trump said "we will go to the Capitol" in the full knowledge there were people armed in the crowd he wanted to go with there.

After he left the stage, Trump had a row with the Secret Service security detail in his car as it had an Off The Record [OTR] instruction to go to the White House and not the Capitol and tried to over-rule the OTR order. He actually laid his hands on the detail and tried to seize the steering wheel of the car to change its route shouting "I'm the effing president" The detail told him to remove his hands off them.

In hindsight, it might have been better for the US if the Secret Service had obeyed Trump's order to take him to the Capitol. The trouble he's caused the US since that day may have been resolved by doing so. No one in the GOP could credibly stand by him after such a deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And in typical.Ttump fashion he is saying he "hardly knew" her and is trying to make it sound as if she was in some way angered that he (personally) shunned her....even though he "hardly knew" her 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He really is something else. The stupidity of this man (and his supporters) really knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Ms Hutchinson's testimony is leaving no doubt as how much the Trump admin was aware of everything and how bad things were in the White House.

They knew everything and Trump did nothing to prevent or condemn any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not only did he do nothing to condemn it, he actually encouraged it. According to this lady's testimony, he wanted the magnetic metal detectors to be disabled so that people could get into the Capitol with weapons. It's truly disgraceful what he was up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The laise fair attitude of Mark Meadows sounds like it was nothing out of the ordinary or expected to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The description is that of a yesman detatched from reality, incompetent for the role he was in. And that's just Meadows and not his boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

In hindsight, it might have been better for the US if the Secret Service had obeyed Trump's order to take him to the Capitol. The trouble he's caused the US since that day may have been resolved by doing so. No one in the GOP could credibly stand by him after such a deed.

I was just thinking about this. Can you imagine what would have happened to the stock markets and even potentially the whole World if they had of brought him there. If something had of happened to him everything would have went into free fall all the stocks in the World would have crashed and oil would have been like it was at the beginning of Covid or worse. Our money would have been worth nothing and we would all have been back to trading.

Also him just being there might have caused something similar but maybe not as bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments made about GOP resignations following from what is now shown to be an attempt by Trump to overturn the election by force caught me by surprise. Betty DeVos quitting the following day should be a guiding light now for genuine US Republicans as distinct from republicans supporting Trump in his attempt to succeed in a putsch. On January 7, 2021, DeVos tendered her resignation as education secretary as a result of the 2021 storming of the United States Capitol, saying to President Trump in her resignation letter, "There is no mistaking the impact your rhetoric had on the situation." Betty DeVos is no minor league player in US and Washington political affairs.

Later today may provide more light on the witness statement that Trump used physical violence against one of his Secret Service close security detail in an effort to get to his peaceful rally at the Capitol Building on the 06th. According to a CNN report, the secret service is supposed to be providing witness testimony to the committee hearing in response specifically to the reported physical actions and incidents between Trump and members of his detail in the vehicle carrying him away from the stage event he spoke to his rally. If the secret service does so and confirms the truth of the witness's testimony, it SHOULD blow away the smoke Trump has released tonight in response to the testimony.

I like the word "freefall" you used to describe what might have happened if Trump had gotten his way on the 06th. Recession and downward spiral come to mind as well to describe what he has brought to the US and the GOP. The saying "when the dollar catches a cold, the world sneezes" comes to mind.

It's worth keeping in mind that his own children are on record of opposing his intent for the 06th prior to that date and on that date as well. They knew what he planned was off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whats that image, is he back on twitter now or just formatting releases to look like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

truth social, alternative social media platform ran by Peter Thiel I think. An app atm

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/truth-social/id1586018825

Trump is the big draw for it, suspect Trump knows it doesn't have a fraction of the reach that twitter has but Thiel probably given him a bag of money to use/promote it so that's how it is.

• Advertisement

The quote trump said was 'they're not here to hurt me' as if to imply they're here to hurt someone else...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, it just emphasises the Trump thought process that only Trump matters in his universe - no other thought can ride above him and his position in life.

Amazing how many people Trump barely knows. And the manner and language he uses - especially with women - always sounds so petulant, reads like pffh, he never would have banged her anyway so what does she know?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I was thinking about this myself last night, what was Trumps end game that day?

Did he want to lead a crowd into the capitol building and indeed into the Chambers? Could/would the capitol police have stopped them?

Imagine you're at the barriers and the POTUS strolls up with a mob of several thousand and demands that you step aside, what happens if they do then reach the Chambers?

The secret service who overrode Trumps demands to take him back definitely need to give (more) testimonies and clear things up as to what happened in the car that day.

Yes, plus an acknowledgement that they were no threat to him. It helps to dispel the "It was anti-fa who stormed the Capitol" disclaimer put out to distance Trump from the violence that his peace rally people brought down on the heads of the people who really protected his GOP allies in the Capitol that day.

Edit... Just caught what's [possibly] in your post. Given that he reportedly didn't disagree on what his peace rally was chanting "hang Mike Pence" that day, it make's clear his dislike of those who are not loyal to him. His family would presumably fall into that category because of their advice to him that day and probably get a few FFS's.... sent their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

We can be lucky that at least the Secret Service agents were sane and not stupid or crazy enough to go with Trump's demands.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Would Trump have been sitting in passenger seat of the beast?

surely he is in the back seat, therefore not able to grab steering wheel??

I am no trump supporter, just thinking of how that could happen.

Quite easy to stand up in the back of any car and lean forward to grab the driver or wheel

Yes. I do believe Trump, however he came to that conclusion, believed he could effectively lead a putsch against the sitting government.

Let's not forget: this is a man who confidently & blithely declared if he shot a man on 5th Avenue, his poll numbers would raise. He told us, without subtly, where his mind was going if he won the Presidency. Fadó during the 2016 GOP primaries; there it was in plain sight.

A vulgar bully, used to basically trampling over people, and/or avoiding consequence in his business life, became the most powerful man in the world while his ostensible party bent over backwards to placate his mood-swings and ... let's call it "mercurial" behaviour. A concentrated media campaign that swerved into a Personality Cult without blinking. Christ even in his days as a Celebrity Tycoon his ego was massaged by TV networks. 4 political years of basically getting away with anything "cos I'm the President", and big surprise: a man drunk on power, but too stupid to plan, tried to seize complete control.

Maya Angelou's words will never stop being true with these paper tigers and charlatans: When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

I think the end game was to create havoc outside the buildings to force a delay or to push more GOP Senators/Congress people to vote against the certification.

The wider circle wanted a "Look how angry the people are? , we can't certify this election with so much anger and confusion going on" kind of moment to give air-cover to Pence et al .

When the rest of them realised it had gone too far they were trying to get him to pull them back , but Trump didn't give a damn.

Because he had absolutely no concern for other peoples safety or for the impact to American democracy etc. because he doesn't care about ANYTHING other than himself.

Advertisement