Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lads I got sent this pic a few minutes ago. All fakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Anyone have any influence with the Tudor AD’s? Kinda fancy a BBpro on rubber. Much of a wait time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just the way they are arranged make me think the person taking the picture thinks they are worthless. They certainly look bogey, and fakes usually look 10 years old after a year. Usually there is a story behind them too, like found in a box, of left by dead aunt sort of thing that separates the seller from having to know if they are real or not.

The AP offshore is bogus look at the screw on the bezel, on an real one all aligned as then are not actual screws. Registers look wrong real ones are modular and the registers are set under the dial.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fake as feck IMHO. They look too chintzy, so cheap fakes with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cheers lads, they looked fake to me. Strange story though they were in the estate of my late uncle who made his money from working in and eventually taking over my grandfather's pharmacy shop from the age of 14, improving it and running it well. He then sold up to retire at age about 45 and started an antiques business as a hobby. Since posting here last night, I heard that the Panerai had a price tag still on it saying €95, I hope he didn't pay more than a fiver for it lol.

He was a suave (gay) businessman, what the hell interested him in these fakes?

We'll see what the antique contents of his house make at auction. I'll report back here if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for that, I've posted over there now and will let folk know how it goes.

As it stands, I've a general overview of what I might try.

An Omega Seamaster style GMT build with a white dial, black hands and red GMT hand. Maybe a black ceramic bezel. Not pushed on a bracelet as I have plenty of straps that will do the job.

Some of the parts I'm considering are:

I want something other than the usual Rolex style build and I think this could make for quite a legible dial, the red hand will tie into the GMT print on the dial and the black hands will contrast well against the white dial.

Now, all that said it would be very similar to my existing Omega GMT so I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

They do look suspect. That AP looks like it has had a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Hi folks. Anyone got some EU brokers or grey dealers details that could PM me? Am looking for a Glashutte Original. Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well outside in the normal people world 😁 a lot of said normal people just want a watch that looks nice, or the part, as an accessory kinda thing. I'd reckon a fair number of fakes and direct "homages" fall into this category.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just a thought. Have most of this group sold watches on ebay? Have bought ok. Is there a way of putting a minimum value on a watch in case the bids finish at a too low price. And if going to UK how do ye post etc? Low value seikos etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You can put a reserve on an ebay auction alright. They tend not to be used as much anymore though as they turn off bidders.

What I tend to do with ebay listings is just list them with a Buy it Now price that I think is fair and then have a 'make an offer' button on the ad.

Then sit back and see if any interesting offers come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just a warning

Ebay is a minefield for sellers since the buyer can cancel any sale for any spurious reason and you'll be left with all the costs of shipping back & forth. And you can pick the 'no returns' option and write 'no returns' into your ad as much as you like, ebay will always side with the buyer and will tell you that 'free returns for any reason' us just a normal buyer expectation these days and tough sh1t. I once went into a dispute process over such a thing and actually lost the item AND the payment to the buyer. Since then never again.

Such a returns policy may be ok if you're a professional seller flipping hundreds or thousands of low cost items. Just a percentage game then. But if you're a private seller with just one or two mid prize items with high shipping cost that nonsense can turn your sale into a disaster very easily.

Many thanks for replies. Adverts is also a right pain. Back to drawer they go.

2 of my last 3 attempts on adverts to buy sellers would not accept PayPal at first. One lad relented but 2nd wouldn't. And a third Lad insisted on collection from Dublin. Not everyone lives in or even visits Dublin. Apologies rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lads, just arrived back in Ireland over the weekend so threw this up this evening. Any thoughts or tips for the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I’d go with a photo of the dial as the first photo, the box etc is important but doesn’t catch the eye. I’d also try for a sharper main photo of the dial, the one you have is quite soft and doesn’t show the watch at its best.

Here's an interesting suggestion for anyone who is in foreign climes, and worried about their wrist furniture...

Italian tourism boss suggests stopping watch theft with cheap alternative

A tourism chief in Naples has come up with a unique solution for any visitors worried about theft in the southern Italian city, after reports the French actor Daniel Auteuil recently had his luxury watch stolen in the area.

Cesare Foa, the president of the tour operators' association Aidit, says hotels could provide guests who wear expensive watches with cheap plastic alternatives to ensure that their actual timepieces can stay safe while they head out and explore the city.

Italian news agency ANSA reported last week that Auteuil had a €39,000 Patek Philippe watch stolen from his wrist by two people riding scooters while he was traveling in a taxi with the window open.

Via CNN International.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The photos I took are super sharp but adverts softened them unfortunately.

LOL! You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I wonder what size adverts posts at? They’ve obviously compressed the crap out of them. Might be worth resizing the images to 1500 or 2000 pixels before uploading. DM me if you need a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Has anyone sent a watch Up to pride and pinion via DHL? They sent me a label and it’s being collected tomorrow but are there customs formalities?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

@Cyrus - are you sure insurance is covered? Depends on the value of the watch of course, but I'd be inclined to fly up the M1 and deliver it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yeah I've sent 3 there way at this stage. Zero customs and Madeline in their office was always quick to answer any of my packing and shipping queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

Hope these photos came out okay, some industry thoughts on watch hype in GMT magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

Its a fascinating read

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

If dealing Gavin prepare to be astounded by incompetent to answer an email.

I'm seeing a lot of pieces of late with the sniff of industry and dealers behind them pushing the never gonna end/investment angle on the market to the general public. Hodinkee has had a few including one the other day from auctioneers saying things might be affected by world economies but also Things Have Never Been So Good. What was interesting were the comments below ripping the piss out of them for it. Something you wouldn't have seen even 12 months ago, and/or would have been cut before it hit the page. Their page hits are way down too.

However sales are very much down save for some pieces and even there most have softened even over the last few months. The market is stagnating, with dealers and flippers holding out for prices that they won't see, and the dealer/flipper to dealer/flipper sales are way down too. The vintage end of things is a limping dodo with sales way down. If you have a Military Watch Forum account go into their PX and look at the lack of new stuff and the list of stuff not shifting at prices way down on even a year ago. Go back in a months time and you'll see endless bumping of many if not most of the same sales and the mil watch stuff has been a solid seller and "investment" for donkey's years. The sales section on WUS is similar.

It's long been my general take that when the Dogs On The Street reckon(tm) [Thing A] "is an investment y'know", that's the time to pull out of [Thing A]. I've a friend of mine that I could hire out to investment firms as a canary in the coalmine. 😁 Basically he always hears about and then buys into stuff just before it goes bang, or devalues. Among other things going way back he bought a house six months before the crash, mentioned he was getting into crypto late last year and asked me about watches at Christmas...

Secondly when things are actually good dealers and the industry don't feel the need to advertise nearly so much that things are good. An elderly chap I know is a printer, kinda retired but still keeps his hand in. Real "mom and pop" family operation as the Yanks might say. Very interesting man to chew the fat with. He's seen ups and downs in his long life and back just before the Celtic Tiger went wallop he mentioned in passing that things weren't looking so rosey. I asked him why and he told me he had noticed a major uptick of those in the building industry and other boom businesses looking to print up advertising. As he said mid boom they rarely darkened his door, because they didn't have to and he'd seen that before in the 60's, 70's and 80's as a trend in different businesses or the wider economy, just before a correction kicked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Put my name down for two Rolex models with an AD at the weekend. Being told 2-3 year wait. For anyone who’s bought with an AD in recent times is this a realistic time scale? I have purchase history with the AD, but not with Rolex.

Advertisement